Airplane travel with Ergo

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2010, 08:18 AM
Mrs.Mikey's Avatar Kay- mom of Bryson
these may be a stupid questions, but do I keep my LO in the carrier on the plane? It is (obviously) our first time traveling (6 weeks old) and I will be by myself with him. Also do you use the potty with him in the carrier? TIA for your help!

October 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi: I am not a member of this board but just wanted to chime in. The answer to your question about using ergo on plane is: It depends. We got a baby carrier to travel with lolu when she was 6 weeks because another friend said that was what we needed. Had no problem; travelled with her twice that way. 6 months later a flight attendant on an international flight (originating from the US) told us we cannot use a baby carrier and we just have to hold her. We told him we'd done this before with no problem but he was adamant. So, I have experienced both using and being told it was a no no; not sure what the official answer is.

Sisters, friends forever
October 31st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did this with Juliana at 11 weeks. She was in my lap on the boppy most of the time. I was going to put her in the carrier to use the restroom, but so many people offered to hold her. One man even applied hand sanitizer, so I took him up on it.

October 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
All of our family is out of state so we fly a couple times a year. When DS1 was little I had him in my ring sling. I was never asked to take him out! Not going through security or while on the plane. More recently though (around a year old), he was in the Ergo and I had to take him off going through security. They were going to let me through without, but I beeped because I forgot I had my phone in the front pouch Then while boarding the plane I was told he would not be allowed to ride in the carrier for the flight. Not sure why...maybe a safety hazard if something were to go wrong??

Yes keep him in while you potty! That's the wonderful benefit of baby wearing when in a public restroom!...You don't have to worry about finding a clean/safe place to put them while you go and wash your hands.

My guess is that you will be fine through security(so long as you dont have a phone in your pocket!), but may be asked to take him out for the flight. That being the case, I'd go to the bathroom before boarding, and just hope I wouldn't need to go while on the plane IF you did need to go though (not sure how long your flight is) I'd put him back in the carrier right before walking to the bathroom. If anyone says something just tell them you will be happy to take him out as soon as you finish...they can't expect you to go AND juggle a baby can they? I mean, what choice do you have? Leave him with a stranger?! I think not!

Also if you are breastfeeding, and wish to take a water bottle with more than just 3oz (and don't want to pay a premium price) You can get a note from your Dr stating that it is necessary. They *should* except that!

October 31st, 2010, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you go to the airline's website, it should tell you. Even if they didn't let you wear him while flying, I'd still do it while going potty.

Loving my newest siggie from Dakota's Mom!

October 31st, 2010, 11:58 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I have flown a lot with B and we are not allowed to wear them during take off and landing. Any other time was always fine. Good luck! Nurse as much as you can during take off and landing to help with ears popping.

November 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just flew several times with my DD and I had her in the Ergo. Apparently according to whoever governs flight safety (I forget the letters involved here!), they aren't allowed to be used...BUT it really just depends on your flight attendent. I flew on 4 flights on the same airline, and had different responses. Some didn't even bat an eye at the Ergo, one made me take it all the way off, and one said I couldn't wear it for takeoff/landing.

I'd love to see why it's considered LESS safe than just being held in my lap, kwim? I mean if there is turbulence, I can't for the life of me see how baby would be MORE safe just in my arms, where I could be startled and lose my grip or something.

Anyway, you can check with the airline but be prepared for anything!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search