New here and need cosleeping help

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
My name is Ashley and I just had my first on June 10th. We bought one of those little cosleeping nests-- The First Year's Close and Secure cosleeper. At first she was sleeping fine in it and there weren't any problems. Now she refuses to sleep in it and will only sleep if she's on top of either me or DH. She likes to nurse the entire night and falls asleep nursing (and if I remove my nipple-- well, nipple shield, we're working on latch issues at the moment-- from her mouth no matter how carefully I do it, she's up screaming).

The problem is that I can't get her to sleep on her back on me. She'll sleep fine on her back tucked in DH's arm, but for me she wants to sleep on my chest on her side. Also there was one scary moment last night when I woke up to her crying and she had slid down halfway off me and was rooting around crying with her face in my pillow, trying to eat the pillow. I was already sleeping on as little pillow as possible so I'm not sure how that happened. Are there any ways to fix this? Should I try not sleeping with pillows at all?

June 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you sleep side by side facing each other? My DD only slept in her Safe and Secure Co-sleeper for a few nights also. Ever since then, she's slept in bed with us, and we're going on 11 months. I'm starting to have human pacifier issues, too (see my post) so I'm not a good one to give advice on that.

June 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
do you swaddle? we swaddled DD for 7 months and for 0-4 months she slept in the snuggle nest then she was in the cosleeper bassinet, then a side car crib. I would experiment with different holds/positions at night. As she gets older and bigger, it will get easier.

June 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
it is so hard at that age but let me start by saying that it got much easier just before two months. before that i slept propped in sitting position. i used a breastfriends nursing pillow and she slept on that with my nipple in her mouth all night. she doesn't need to sleep on her back if she is sleeping on you. you just need to worry about her falling off- i slept in the center of the bed with my arms wrapped around her, and about smothering. i kept all the pillows behind me and the blanket under my nursing pillow. i am sure it wasn't overly safe but my baby was like yours and i was desperate. she didn't learn to side nurse until four months. at two months she didn't need my nipple all night anymore and started popping off when she was done so i could put her down next to me and sleep flat for an hour or two at a time. at three months she started sleeping in long stretches in her bouncer. she didn't like to sleep flat until about four months and liked to be in a ball either on me or in her bouncer. she is almost five months and it is cake right now. just keep playing with things until you find something that works and then try something new when it quits working. oh and go back to things that didn't work before, she might love the sleep nest next week. my hubby used to take her every morning for thirty minutes before work so i could get some good sleep but now i am sleeping so good he doesn't even wake me up to say goodbye. it gets easier but sometimes i miss those nights

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

June 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you a deep sleeper? If you are I would suggest co-sleeping with baby in a co-sleeper or side car a crib.

Otherwise you could try sleeping face to face, or just letting her sleep on your chest. ds2 when he was a newborn wanted to sleep on my chest with his face snuggled in my neck. He was like that for the first 2 months.
June 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I had the same problem with P. DH and I bought a co-sleeper and we tried it but it only lasted 2 nights. Ever since he's been sleeping in the bed (I'm a VERY light sleeper). We had to set up our sleeping arrangement differently and sometimes I would (and still do) sleep on a futon on the floor. In our bedroom we pushed the bed to that wall in a corner and I placed the snoogle at the wall and I sleep on the other side of P. So far this works for us.
I have friends who had the same co-sleeper and had the same issue, but my friend got a special warming pad (sort of like a hot water bottle but bigger and really flat) and she put that in the co-sleeper, a blanket on top and then baby on top and it seems to work well. You might be able to try that and see if it works. It might be a warmth thing?

I'm not sure if this helps, but good luck I hope you find a solution that works for you.

A journey raising children to be socially responsible, productive members of society. Hopefully.

www.creviceofacrumpet.com
July 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2011 View Post
it is so hard at that age but let me start by saying that it got much easier just before two months. before that i slept propped in sitting position. i used a breastfriends nursing pillow and she slept on that with my nipple in her mouth all night. she doesn't need to sleep on her back if she is sleeping on you. you just need to worry about her falling off- i slept in the center of the bed with my arms wrapped around her, and about smothering. i kept all the pillows behind me and the blanket under my nursing pillow. i am sure it wasn't overly safe but my baby was like yours and i was desperate. she didn't learn to side nurse until four months. at two months she didn't need my nipple all night anymore and started popping off when she was done so i could put her down next to me and sleep flat for an hour or two at a time. at three months she started sleeping in long stretches in her bouncer. she didn't like to sleep flat until about four months and liked to be in a ball either on me or in her bouncer. she is almost five months and it is cake right now. just keep playing with things until you find something that works and then try something new when it quits working. oh and go back to things that didn't work before, she might love the sleep nest next week. my hubby used to take her every morning for thirty minutes before work so i could get some good sleep but now i am sleeping so good he doesn't even wake me up to say goodbye. it gets easier but sometimes i miss those nights
I'm so late in replying, oops.

This is exactly what I've been doing now. She's so little still (she just hit 8lbs) that she can't get the hang of side-lying nursing yet. I have an awfully sore neck but I'm finally getting semi-decent sleep! It's relieving to hear that it might get better soon-- I do miss sleeping in more comfortable positions.

Thank you all for your help!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search