Cosleeping with infant and toddler?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hi mommas,
Does anyone have any advice on cosleeping with an infant and a toddler? DS is 2 years old and DD is 1 month old. For the first month of her life DD and I have been sleeping in a different room than DS and my husband who have been sleeping in the master bedroom with the king sized bed like we used to do before DD arrived. It was hard for me to go to a different room to sleep but with DD being so small and DS being a restless sleeper who kicks and rolls and snuggles right up next to you, we though it was best to not have DD in the same bed at first. Also, DS used to be really dependent on me at night time and now that I am nursing DD, my husband has stepped in my place for my DS at night time.

Anyway, husband is going out of town for an over night trip tomorrow and I am planning on taking DD over to the big bed so that it will be DS, me and DD sleeping in that order. At nights when I sleep with DD by myself I will switch the side that I am laying on next to her when she wakes so that she can nurse on the other side and just to reposition her so she can fall asleep again. But when we will sleep in the same bed as DS I will not be able to do that since I will want to keep myself in the middle of DS and DD. Then, when husband does come back home he thinks a king sized bed is too small for all of us to fit in, especially since DS is such a mobile sleeper.

Any other cosleepers out there with more than one little one who have mastered the family bed and are
able to sleep well? I can use any and all help. Thanks!
June 29th, 2011, 10:11 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co-slept with both boys for the first 3 months of ds2's life. ds1 was on the inside next to the wall, then DH, then me and then ds2 was on the outside in my arms. Since it'll be just the 3 of you I'd put oldest on the inside, and you in the middle, then babe on the outside.
June 30th, 2011, 05:07 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we have a side car crib, you can try that and put one of them in there, to kind of give more room and protection.

June 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
With us we slept our son then my husband then me and then our daughter. We still sleep similar when David wants to come in. He usually doesnt though.

July 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Oliver was born we sidecarred the crib. Lilly moved to the crib and then dh, Oliver, and I sleep In the bed. Works great!

July 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the advice! Just wanted to update and say we made it through one night just me and the kiddos. I slept in the middle of them and during the course of the night ended up with DS's feet in my face, in my back, and also my left boob (the side that DD wasn't on) leaked so bad and was so full that I broke down and switched to laying on her other side early in the morning just until she was done nursing that side for me. I wish our bedroom was big enough to sidecar a crib, but as it is our king sized bed is about all that will fit in there. I guess we will just wait until DD gets a little bigger and then will try to put all four of us together in the same bed. If DS wasn't so acrobatic in his sleep and such a body warmth magnet, I would try it now, but I will wait a little while longer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search