Unique co-sleeping issue

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just over a week ago, my DH had a seizure in his sleep. It was his first one, and hopefully his last one, but we have no idea what caused it and when/if it will happen again. Juliana was in bed between us, inches away from him. She was fine, but I'm uncomfortable with her sleeping in bed with us. I have tried to keep her on the other side of me but it just hasn't happened. I'm not sure how, but many times I've woken up with her in between us. I started putting a pillow in between DH and us but now things are very cramped.

We have Juliana's crib side-carred, but she will not sleep in it. First of all, she wakes up any time someone tries to put her down and roots around for the nipple. It's very difficult for my nanny to put her down even on her mattress on the floor, and often takes 3 or 4 tries. With the side-car crib, it's about 4 inches below the level of our bed, so it's hard to set her in it from the bed without losing my balance, and from the other side over the rails, forget it. It's such a huge drop. I've tried many times and my rule of thumb is to try 3 times and give up. I've been doing this for about 4 days and making no progress. Then again, she's teething, so maybe it's just a bad time to try?

I'm so sad about even needing to get her out of our bed, but then I'm exhausted because I'm trying over and over and it doesn't work. Any advice?

June 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
hmm let me think on this. Im not really sure. How is your DH feeling now? I hope he is okay!

June 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
hmm let me think on this. Im not really sure. How is your DH feeling now? I hope he is okay!
He is feeling totally fine now, thanks for asking. In fact, he was feeling fine from the beginning other than being sore and he had bitten his tongue very hard. I think he may be in denial because he claims he's sure it was a fluke and he'll never have another seizure again. I'm all for thinking positive, but I'm not willing to risk Juliana's safety in case he does. I think his feelings are a bit hurt that I'm so serious about getting her out of our bed due to his seizure, but I'm trying to act like it's about time and I really want her out anyway (which I don't).

June 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Veteran
That's scary! Is he going to the doc to get checked out??? A seizure is nothing to ignore and let slide.

On the co-sleeping issue, why is her crib 4in below your bed? Why don't you raise it up to be level with your bed then you won't have to move her. I can nurse my DS on both sides without rolling over now So he just lays in one spot. Sometimes in the early morning hours he likes to crawl over and cuddle with me but most times he stays in the crib.
June 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runzbarrel View Post
That's scary! Is he going to the doc to get checked out??? A seizure is nothing to ignore and let slide.

On the co-sleeping issue, why is her crib 4in below your bed? Why don't you raise it up to be level with your bed then you won't have to move her. I can nurse my DS on both sides without rolling over now So he just lays in one spot. Sometimes in the early morning hours he likes to crawl over and cuddle with me but most times he stays in the crib.
He's had an MRI, Cat Scan, and EEG and so far all have been normal. We have a follow up appointment with the neurologist next week and he actually wants to cancel it because the rest of the stuff was normal. I'm not ready to brush it off so fast!

About the crib, it's up as high as it can go unless we raise the mattress up, which is against the rules because she can pull up. I suppose if she's only sleeping in it while we're next to her, it might be ok. I'm sure I would wake up if she got as far as pulling up. The only other way I know to raise it would be to put something under the crib legs, which doesn't seem safe.

June 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I know there is way to raise it up and it was linked in here awhile ago. Im not sure when but it wasnt that long ago I dont think.

June 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we put bricks under the crib to raise it up

July 1st, 2011, 08:42 AM
DH says the crib mattress is already as high up as it will go. I guess we'll have to work on raising the crib itself by putting something underneath. I'd rather lower our bed by removing the box spring, but DH won't go for that idea.

July 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How about bed raisers for the crib? Like the ones college kids get
July 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaBee View Post
How about bed raisers for the crib? Like the ones college kids get
Great idea!

July 2nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
We tried the bed risers and it worked! She slept in her sidecar crib!! DH and I got lots of space back and she was just right there, plus I didn't have to worry about her safety. I actually slept well last night!! Thanks everyone for the advice. I can't tell you how happy I am that this worked!

July 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
whooooohooooooooooo!

July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad it worked out for you!

July 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Veteran
Oh awesome!!!!! So glad that worked
July 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Glad everything worked out!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search