Baby wearing facing out.

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know it's not recommend but Peter loves looking out, and he doesn't sleep as much. Is there a safe way/carrier to do this?

July 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've done it with a Moby wrap. Same tie, just flip baby around. I've heard it isn't recommended either but I see no issue with it at all. Babies love to look around!

July 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put Aiden out in the Moby for just 10-15 minutes at a time when he was really fussy and facing me wasn't working. When we were out to eat at a restaurant and such (but before he was interested in table food), I would fold him like a budda facing out in the ring sling. Once Aiden got a bit older and I was able to put him in a high back carry, we stopped all forward facing out. The thought of him facing out at 20lbs makes me cringe - boy would that hurt my back now!

July 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FFO really shouldn't be used. There are research that shows that FFO in a carrier with legs sticking out puts too much pressure on baby's spine and can cause damage. It's also uncomfy for babies. If a baby doesn't want to face in, then maybe that is a sign that baby doesn't want to be worn at that time and would like to just be held or have floor time. The only position that it is safe is a lotus position in a woven wrap. A stretchy wrap may not be able to support it. That is with baby FFO with legs crossed, so they are basically sitting on the seat of the wrap.
July 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
If you're using a wrap you can do newborn carry but do it so that his head and upper body is out of the wrap. That'll allow him to see plenty. Not quite forward facing but should be enough.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
July 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
My Baby Nest Carrier - Cool Sage (Medium) - My Baby Nest - Babies "R" Us

This is the baby carrier I use and I like it. In the instruction book, it shows how to use it wearing the baby forward facing. You can also do the "nursing" wrap with the baby's body facing forward and head out. Gabe seems to like it, but he's also younger than yours, so I don't know how your little one would like it.

My Boring Blog
July 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to be honest, I'm a little bothered by people who continue to suggest to FFO. It's not recommended by experts. It's called "crotch dangling" because the baby is literally dangling by their crotch. It does not support the natural development of the spine. I would not buy any carrier that suggested you could FFO with all the research we have that says you shouldn't.

A hip carry might be better for you. You can do that in a wrap, or a ring sling or a SSC like Scootababy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search