Bad nap habbit?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Juliana is almost a year old and still rarely sleeps by herself even for naps. My mom is staying with us for the summer. Since my mom is an early riser, she'll take Juliana's morning nap with her. Juliana's afternoon nap is around 4 pm and I'm always ready for a nap then, so I at least nurse her down to sleep and lay down for a minute if not the entire nap. At night, she recently moved to her side-car crib and that is working well, except that she's been waking up about every 2 hours still.

I know it's great for her to be able to sleep like this but the reality is it can't happen long-term. My mom is leaving in August and our regular nanny will be back, and I like for her to use Juliana's nap time to do the dishes, etc. Also, I'm very fortunate to now be on a project that allows me to work from home for the next 6 months without worrying about travel, but by the time Juliana is 18 months old I may have to travel overnight every now and then. I'd hate to get her in a situation where there may be an abrupt change to her sleep situation so I'm wondering if I'm better off trying to gradually wean her of always sleeping with someone now or just go cold turkey when we have to?

The main issue with getting her to sleep is that as soon as anyone goes to set her down, she roots around for a nipple, and will go from sleepy to screaming in about 10 seconds if she doesn't find out. So my mom rocks her to sleep and she sleeps in her lap, and I just nurse her to sleep. I don't even know how to set her down without nursing her.

July 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I do not have any great advice, because i still nurse Zoe to sleep at night and most days she naps in the car to or from work (horrible i know, but it is that or no nap). I have found on the rare occassions i am not there to put her down, she goes down with out nursing or the car. So, i guess what i am trying to say, is if she knows you are there, she will want you, but hopefully when someone else is taking care of her, she will be ok with them

July 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to say the same thing. I was totally floored the first time I had to leave DS at bedtime. I always nurse him at bed time and just recently stopped nursing him for naps (most naps, anyway). But I'm a Girl Guide (Canadian Girl Scouts) leader and I just had to get back to it at some point, and our meetings are from 6:30 to 8:30, so right at bed time. I was completely shocked that he went down for DH no problem at all, not even a whimper. DH was going to give him milk in a sippy (DS won't go near a bottle) but he didn't even have to. It's not the milk, see, it's the Mommy. At this age, they know if you're in the house or not, and will act differently if they know you're not there at the moment.
Maybe you could just try it one of these days when DH is home. Just go for a walk or something, not too far. Make sure she knows you're gone and then see how she does. You can always come rushing back if there's a problem, but you might be surprised. Then if you KNOW she can do it without nursing, you can work on breaking the habit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search