Most useful/Waste of Money

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What was the most useful baby item you had/have?
What was the most waste of money?

July 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
lots of wastes of money:
crib (haha, never slept in it)
pack and play (napped in it once)
swing (hated it)
baby monitors

Best purchases:
jumperoo (she started in it at 4 months)
jogging stroller (got me to fit in my runs)
baby carriers (wraps, slings, etc)

July 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Best: the Ergo and cloth diapers, even though I spent WAY more than I needed to on those (and am still buying!)

Worst: breast pump (hardly ever used it), newborn sized clothes (DS was 8.5 lbs at birth, never fit into any of it!)

July 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
Evelyn is only 5 weeks but so far:

Waste of money:
-Safe and secure cosleeper-- she wants to sleep on top of me and wakes up whenever I put her in it. Plus she's tall and looks like she'll outgrow it soon anyway.
-Crib-- She's been in it for 5 seconds. It is now a very expensive cat bed. It is one of those 4-in-1 convertible cribs so at least it can be used as a full sized headboard or a daybed some day.
-Bouncy chair-- she'll tolerate it for a minute or two and then wants to be carried.
-Nursing cover-- haven't used it once yet, it's easier to just use a light receiving blanket to cover the little bit of skin that shows.

Best:
-Beco Butterfly II-- she adores it and it has more or less "cured" her colic.
-Nursing tanks and bras-- I know a lot of people say these are a waste but I love them!
-Boppy-- it's the only thing she'll let me put her down in and it makes nursing comfy.

July 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Waste of money:
Co-sleeper. He didn't sleep in it much. It was basically a glorified bed rail since we ended up bed sharing.
Angel Care Monitor. Glad we had it for the few times we used it, but I've definitely not gotten my money's worth out of it. Maybe next kid it'll be more useful?
Pacis/bottles/pump. He won't take pacis or bottles. I've barely used the pump. Easier to just BF and I waited to leave him till he spread out his feedings more. (not that he's been separated from me much!)
Bumbo. At least I didn't actually buy it; it was given to me.

Best:
Baby carriers. Shout out to Sleep Baby Productions ring slings and Beanslings mei tais both of which I've used the most of in my big stash!
Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair. I was easily able to bring it with me when I was out of town for 3.5 weeks. It cleans easily!
Bouncer and swing. It was nice not having to wear DS 24/7, but still have him nearby and happy. My son is a motion junkie.
Boppy. It was perfect for those early weeks of BFing. I still use it when I BFed in his room.
Glider. Great place to BF and he still loves to be rocked in it every night by daddy.
Cloth diapers.
Strollers. Yeah, we own 2! It's just WAY too hot to BW outside in the summer here for longer than 15 minutes. And I know both strollers will get tons of use in the future as we have more kids and run out of ways to BW (both can hold up to a 5 year old easily lol).

The vast majority of things I bought I've found useful and have saved (or will save) for future kids. Thankfully!

July 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Waste:
Nursing clothes/cover-ups- I never used them. I hated fiddeling with snaps, latches and hooks so I just wore a sports bra or a flexible bra and pulled boobie up out of it. Nursing "tops" and night gowns etc. Also a PITA. I also hated the cover ups. I found it super easy to nurse in my carrier or just throw a light blanket over my shoulder.

Feeding "reminder" things- those bra accessories are choking hazzards, and the bracelets were just silly to me. I would forget 90% of the time to change the 'time/side' thing anyway.

Boppy- Used it like twice for tummy time.

Double Stroller- I hardly EVER use it. 99.9% of the time I end up wearing Paige after 3.4mintues so it's just a big bulky waste.

Changing table- used it twice then it held laundry

LOVED: Ergo, and Pattern to make my own Sling! WISH I had done it a kid sooner!!!

Space saver high chair- saved SO much room!

Baby car mirror. It attaches to the back of the seat so Paige can see herself and I can see her from the rear view!!
July 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
Wastes of money:
crib (never slept in it) but we'll convert it to a daybed or full size bed someday
arms reach cosleeper - slept in it for about a week - then he was either next to me or on my chest for a while (then on to the swing and bouncy seat)
my brestfriend pillow - never able to get DS to latch on, and bottle feeding with it was too awkward
paci's- would never take them
Sofi the giraffe - most expensive teether he does NOT use! He rarely ever picks it up.

Best purchases-
pump - I definately got my money out of that thing! I was pumping 12+ times a day at some points
bouncy seat & swing - BEST things we got hands down. DS would only sleep in the swing (while it was off) for months when his reflux was the worst. He still will only sleep in the bouncy seat a lot (even though he is way too tall and his bum is practically on the floor). Thank goodness it's a big papasan style seat, the rocking/bouncing he likes in the seat is the only thing that will calm him and get him to sleep sometimes (he has sensory processing disorder - NEEDS movement to soothe)
baby carriers - we have our rotation of ring sling, babyhawk and ergo.
July 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Worst: crib -- but I think it will be used at some point. It's convertible and I'd LOOOOVE him to nap in it sooner
--- monitor
--- bottles (I seriously panicked and stocked up and never used even one)

Best: cosleeper -- we got a lot of use out of ours while he fit it. I liked getting the bed to ourselves for the first half of the night and then pulling him in with us for the last half
-- muslin blankets -- for swaddling and as a sunshade, bug cover, light blanket
-- all of our baby wearing devices
-- a good stroller -- we both have health issues and there are days when the wearing just has to be short...I would cry if I didn't have our great stroller

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
July 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Best
-cloth diapers
-swing
-ergo
-space saver high chair
-nursing bra and tanks

Waste
-wipe warmer
-bouncer for now
Can't think of anything right now lol

July 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Best
-swing (for about 2 months, LOL)
-rubber balls (they entertain her for hours)
-Ergo
-Fischer Price music toy with mirror (I'm not sure if it's made any more)

Waste
- nursing covers
- push walker (it went out from under her and she never could use it)
- toys that try to encourage baby to crawl (snail, etc)

July 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Waste:
pack n play. with two kids I think I used it once with dd
infant car seat. with both kids I always ended up pulling them out and wearing them at places and had them both moved to a convertable by 4 months. should have just skipped it
gracco stroller. only used it a handful of times with dd. never even pulled it out for ds. again, usually babywear when out and about

Best money speant:
ergo. used it with both kids
jogging stroller. can still use it with dd and now ds is getting big enough for it right in time for the start of a new season at my running club.
cloth diapers

July 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
Our worst purchase was the cot/crib. I think she went into it about 3 times as it had the fancy mobile (also a waste of money) that she watched for a couple min when I desperately needed to go to the toilet with 2 hands.

All those muslin wraps were a waste.

We got a fantastic swaddle that was worth all the money in the world (and excessive shipping from Australia).

The best was the hammock from Nature Baby with the wool bed. It was expensive but it was the only sleep she ever got (reflux baby).

My pump was a cheapie, old school one that you pull on the base (elongated, not round) that worked wonders to help me relieve all that initial milk (horrid let down that would choke her).

I loved my baby monitors. We got to hear all the local cell phone calls and I could nip into the garden while she slept (if/when she slept).

The bumbo was also useful with a reflux baby, though she learned to sit around 5 months so we didn't use it much. It is now a much loved toy for her dolls.

I liked our baby bath as I had a c/s and couldn't bathe with her as I had intended. It was also great for soaking clothes and nappies.

Wool singlets were such thoughtful gifts. They tend to run quite pricey but they are a must for a winter baby.

We borrowed various front packs but the only one she'd go into was my MIL's from my husband's brother in 1978. She also used it with him and it was so padded and comfy.

We didn't have access to baby wearers, so we never got to try slings, etc.

I loved my boppy. I used it for every feed for those first few weeks post-c/s. It was so helpful. Soph still loves the boppy. She sleeps with it most nights as it helps her keep her head up (since she has reflux).

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search