More CIO in my PR

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2011, 09:28 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
A mama in my PR, who I really like, is frustrat3d with her DS.
He doesn't sttn and won't go to bed alone. So I shared how I taught Ashlynn to go to bed on her own and sttn without having to use CIO and she said it wouldn't work because staying where he can see her or going back in to comfort him makes it worse.

I'm still offering various things she can try, like changes in the routine (soft music, dim lights for 20 minutes before bed, etc) in hopes that she finds something that will work.
Wish me luck

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
July 24th, 2011, 11:14 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Aww good luck, I hope she finds something that works for her.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

July 25th, 2011, 01:07 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Good luck hun! It can be tough but its nice that you can offer alternatives!

July 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! Those posts are so hard to read.

July 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck!

Which reminds me I need to start yet another sleep post for myself. *sigh*

July 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to hear about the routine that worked for you if you have a link where you've posted it so that I may try some of it!

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
July 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
It's on our facebook page for the PR, but I will copy and paste it

"What I did was a litter easier on me. Try putting him to bed and staying right there. If he cries, pick him up and snuggle, then put him back in bed. Repeat. Eventually he'll be clued in that you aren't abandoning him, but that it's bedtime. I did that with Ash months ago when she REFUSED to go to sleep without me there. Took a week or so, and I did go comfort her if she woke up, but now she sleeps through the night and puts herself to sleep instead of needing me there. It does get easier mama!"

"Also, start trying this early.. it may take a little while.. So if he should be in bed at 8, try doing it at 7. See how long it takes. If it takes a half hour, try doing it at 7:30. Then work your way to 8."

"Let him see you until he falls asleep, or leave the room when he's been calm for a few, then go back if he screams. I know it sounds like it won't work (as in, he'd think "If I cry mama will come back") but it worked for me and Ashlynn knows im there if she's upset and needs me, but that she's a big girl and can go to bed on her own."

"I still cuddle her if she wakes up, but it's not often that she does. LOL as you can tell, I don't use CIO. Just giving non-CIO options It's all new to him and I guess that it may freak him out to suddenly be in his bed and not going about the normal "routine" he's used to. It takes a bit to help them adjust. Ashlynn tends to like her routine and does better when I introduce changes slowly and make sure she knows I'm there. It's rough. (((HUGS!!!)))"

"You could try a bath earlier in the day if it winds him up and TV may stimulate him more.. have you tried a dim room with quiet music instead of the muppets? Maybe a book, then 20 minutes of cuddle time with mommy and some quiet, soothing music to relax him? He may just be easily stimulated so it's harder for him to sleep."

"My windows media player has visuals that are relaxing when used with relaxing music and Ashlynn LOVES them. Try sitting in a chair, that way you can stay awake and he can (hopefully) fall asleep I always fell asleep with Ashlynn too.. LOL That's why I taught her to go bed by herself. My sleep schedule was all over the place."

I gave as many baby friendly options as I could think of (I obviously didn't put what she said here) and most of these worked great for Ash. Hopefully some of you mamas have success with them

July 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing this. I think I have a few more ideas to try out of it

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
July 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hope it works for you! Let me know if it does

July 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good for you for offering her some support/ideas.

My DS1 was that way. He didn't sttn until he was over a year old and still now at over 2 yrs he doesn't go to sleep by himself. I will sleep in bed with him until he's all grown up if I have to before I'd ever make him cry himself to sleep. I know how I feel if I go to bed upset/crying and I don't want my child to go through that if I can help it.

I hope the lady in your PR can figure something out other than CIO.

July 27th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ashlynn went to sleep alone LONG before she sttn. She just recently started to sttn and she still doesn't EVERY night.
Every baby is different.. LOL

July 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
STTN is easy in our particular household; going to sleep without a parent impossible. Something scares my critter, but he doesn't have the language yet to tell us what or how we can help. :/ Any sort of leaving him alone before he passes out would constitute CIO. (commiseration; some kids are easier in some things!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search