I need ideas (sleep help)!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last night was horrible. I'd get DS to sleep and he's just wake up 30 minutes later. I spent 6 hours last night awake and struggling on my own before I snapped and had enough. I found myself crying and snapping at DS like he could do anything. I feel so guilty. Bad mommy moment. I just ran out of ideas and after no sleep my brain just wasn't working. I woke DH up and he took over for 2 hours (the only sleep I got last night). I can't rely on DH to do this again because he's currently in pilot training with the Air Force. He had to tell his instructor pilots this morning that he couldn't fly because he didn't get enough sleep to be considered safe in the air. He got a lecture on how I need to "step up" and stop asking DH to help me at night. UGH.
It just took me 2 hours to get DS asleep for his first nap of the day. He's no longer rooting around wanting the boob all the time at night (I can't sleep when he eats anymore), but he just doesn't want to sleep period at night. He does have some teething related issue (nothing is coming through, but part of his gum is very slightly swollen). He didn't have this severe of a sleeping issue with previous teeth. We've been doing the same nightly routine of me BFing him, changing him into his night diaper and PJs, and then we brush our teeth (well, he teethes with his brush lol). Then I hand DS over to DH (often this is the only time they actually get to see each other) where he turns on classical music, rocks DS, and reads to him a couple of longer stories/books. Aiden did go to sleep in his without struggle at first (as he normally does, usually when he wakes a few hours later we start cosleeping), but woke up 30 minutes later and that's when the nightmare began. The pervious nights for the past week, almost 2!, he's been waking every hour, 2 if I'm super duper lucky.
I'd love any advice, ideas, anything you all have got! Share what you've done in the past, what you currently do, anything! I want ideas to help me turn our sleep around (at this point 3 hour stretches would be heavenly) and to keep me from having more bad mommy moments at night again.

July 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
stephi1997's Avatar Veteran
*GIANT HUGS* to you! I don't know how much help I can be but you aren't alone in the "bad mommy moments". I have had a handful of those myself unfortunately. My DS has never sttn and if he sleeps one 3 or 4 hour stretch a night it's a miracle.

Is your DS usually a better sleeper or has he always had a hard time? He might have a lot more going on teething wise than you can see or a developmental milestone he is working on? Is he fighting a cold or allergies maybe?

Maybe try to mix up the bedtime routine a little? Does he like a nighttime bath/massage?

Hang in there - I hope it turns around soon for you!
July 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution? our library even has it, i would read it ASAP!

July 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, I've read NCSS. It's what helped us when he was 4 months old to start using the crib some. I'll read through it again, but I don't remember anything that was particularly helpful to keep me from pulling my hair out at 3am. lol.

No allergies/colds. Maybe he is about to hit a new milestone? He's been army crawling for almost 3 months now and hasn't done anything majorly new in awhile.
I think I am going to start giving him a bath at night. We didn't for the longest because the house we live in has mold in the bathroom (had it when we moved in and we're in military base housing who doesn't care). But I've been scrubbing away and using chemical cleaners which I hate using, but it's better than it was.

Aiden has never been a great sleeper, but I never really felt sleep deprived for longer than a few nights till now. My batteries ran out a week ago and last night did not help! A month ago we were enjoying 6 hour stretches every few nights, with the rest of the nights at least giving me 4 hour stretches.

Okay, time to start a new night. Wish me luck.

July 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you given him any new foods lately? This sounds exactly like what happened when I gave Juliana yogurt, which led me to discover her dairy sensitivity. People in my PR would tell me "It's obviously not a medical problem since it only happens during the day, so you should just let her cry" but it was a medical problem. It just for some reason hit her worse at night.

July 26th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hmmm. I'll have to think about that! Aiden slept much better the first half of the night, but was a pill the 2nd half though better. I wonder if it is something he ate maybe. He did have some seasonings/herbs he hasn't had before. I'll have to think if there was something else new introduced recently. There's no allergies in our families, so we haven't held much back food wise. Doesn't mean that he doesn't an a sensitivity though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search