almost 5 year old and hitting

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My almost 5 year old has starting hitting other kids when she gets mad or frustrated. I've tried sitting down and explaining why its not ok to hit. Well that doesn't seem to work, I've also tried time outs and taking things away, grounding.her.from playing outside. She is still hitting! I'm at a loss on What to do, any adived or.input would be great.

July 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're not at that stage yet so I can't give any sage advice. Is she experiencing some sort of stress or overall frustration?
Just really wanting to offer support ((hug))

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
July 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My husband is deployed and I think that's playing a huge role into both mygirls acting out. Plus a friend is visiting me with her kids and the kids don't get along well. I really hope she's figures out its not ok. I'm trying to be patient with her but man its hard sometimes

July 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Missing a role model and having unwanted houseguests (in her mind) may be enough to make me want to smack someone too I hope that things settle down for you. That does sound really stressful.

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
July 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Hugs Denise. Im not sure what to do. I hope that it gets easier!

July 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I would guess that your dh's deployment is a big factor. Part of it, I think, is just the age. I'm still new to this myself but what I've seen work is a lot of reflecting feelings ("You're angry about ______!") and subsequently, we enforce 'You hit, you sit' ("You may not hit other people. You need to use gentle hands. If you are unable to do that, you are going to need to sit in your room until you can") and follow through, follow through, follow through. Even if it means moving a child back to their room over and over again, which believe me, can be frustrating , follow through is the most important part of the process.

Eventually they learn that that is the boundary and if they cross it, they will end up in their room. If it's you she's hitting and she continues to come out of the room and continue hitting, remove yourself - it teaches that when you hurt people, they do not want to be around you. With us, I've seen df enforce it enough times that they don't really wander away before they're calm - when they know they're just going to end up back there, they see that our words have power and we mean what we say.

I'm sure it's partially a phase if it's out of character, too. Hope things settle down for you.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search