ecological breastfeeding and bedtime

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2012, 01:27 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Mrs. Lainez Send a message via AIM to Mrs. Lainez Send a message via Skype™ to Mrs. Lainez
my daughter is 5.5 months old and I've been practicing ecological breastfeeding since her birth. I'm always in close contact with her and she nurses at least nine times a day. in order to keep her close she's always gone to bed whenever dh and I do (usually around 10:15pm). however I've been noticing some fussiness starting around 8pm on most nights. I wear her for most of the day but once I stop walking around and retire for the evening she usually protests. trying to keep dd happy until bedtime is challenging and draining. any suggestions?
May 23rd, 2012, 06:49 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
what exactly is ecological breastfeeding? Feeding on demand?

I am thinking that her 10:15 bedtime is probably too late. Most babies are primed to go to bed around 6:30 or 7 (according to the no cry sleep solution) and that is likely why she is getting fussy.

I find with my daughter that when she fusses it is usually that she is tired, or hungry, one of the two will fix her right up. Also- she can rarely stay awake longer than 2-3 hours without needing a nap or to go to bed. Is there any eye rubbing or yawning that goes with her fussing?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
May 23rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
noworries
I'd say putting her to sleep at 8:00 instead of 10:15 would be a good solution. You can still nurse her to sleep and lay with her until she is asleep and then get up for another hour or two and then go to bed yourself.
May 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used to do the same thing (put her to bed with us). Now we put her down around 8-9pm. I nurse her to sleep and then try to sneak out. I used to wear her all night till we went to bed (she'd pretty much sleep the whole time though). We decided to put her down early though so we could have some alone time. It was actually easier to wear her because she will usually wakes up 1-3 times after I initially put her down because she doesn't sleep well if she doesn't have human contact. That aside, we do enjoy having a couple hours to ourselves

May 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
We used to do the same thing (put her to bed with us). Now we put her down around 8-9pm. I nurse her to sleep and then try to sneak out. I used to wear her all night till we went to bed (she'd pretty much sleep the whole time though). We decided to put her down early though so we could have some alone time. It was actually easier to wear her because she will usually wakes up 1-3 times after I initially put her down because she doesn't sleep well if she doesn't have human contact. That aside, we do enjoy having a couple hours to ourselves
This is us too. I nurse her to sleep and then sneak out so we can have a bit of time to ourselves. However she often wakes up 1-3 times before I go to bed. Can get frustrating but I know in time she will out-grow it.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
May 23rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard that about putting babies to bed earlier, but my DD goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 pm. If I try to put her to bed earlier, it just means we'll spend longer trying to get her to bed. Maybe others have had better success and have tips on how to do this. However, my DD doesn't show tiredness cues until around 8:45 pm. If I try to put her to bed earlier, it makes us both miserable. Some babies do just have a natural nocturnal schedule. I never tried waking her up early from her nap, though. Maybe that would make her go to bed earlier.

May 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
what exactly is ecological breastfeeding? Feeding on demand?
Feeding on demand is one part of one standard of ecological breastfeeding. There are seven standards to follow, and when followed strictly, they are highly effective in creating a natural, lengthy infertility for the mother.

I recommend the same thing as the other ladies, although I would caution that implementing an earlier bedtime will probably include an earlier wake-up time in the morning. This could be a good thing. It might also lead to an earlier nap and that has always been something I like. It helps me avoid drinking coffee and it leaves a nice big chunk of the day left afterward to get things done.

I think this falls under the category of not trying to keep a rigid routine. Just do the best you can to keep things regular without going to a lot of trouble. If things become difficult as you describe, this is always an indication that something about the routine needs to adjust, and you can do it immediately. Go with that baby flow!
May 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
To find out more about ecological breastfeeding, google Catholic Nursing Mother League and there is an info sheet under Resources.

Tags
bedtime , ecological breastfeeding

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search