AP and potty training..

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fluga
  • 1 Post By Cruiser

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
miamor
i'm reading a lot of mixed things..

if you've potty trained (or are already planning/thinking it out)...what method did (will) you use? what age?
any good resources on the choice you've made? i'm reading lots of different opinions.
i'm trying to arm myself with information now and see if i need to pick up some books i should start reading.
thanks!
December 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Destiny
I am in the process, I'm being very gentle about it, suggesting and leading, but not forcing it at all. She's almost 3, I started when she specifically asked. Right now she wants to use it on and off.
I'm eager to get her out of diapers, but I think it's best to be patient about it.

December 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Claire will be 2 1/2 next month, and we're venturing into potty training territory. As a general rule, things don't go well with Claire unless she decides on her own to do something. We have potty chairs in all the bathrooms and we talk all the time about it, but when I ask her if she wants to go, she says no. So far I'm not forcing it, just reminding her of her options and waiting for her to tell me she's ready. To be honest, I'm so busy with the twins that I don't feel like I have a ton of effort to put into it.

I'm curious to see how others have handled it...I feel like I'm flying blind

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

December 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We started part time Elimination Communication when M was 5 1/2 months old. She has gone in and out of her interest in the potty, with long "potty pauses" when she is teething hard or going through developmental milestones. But we always give her opportunities to potty at regular times: after waking, at most diaper changes at home, and whenever she shows any sign of interest. She has been having a looooong pause lately with all her teeth coming in, weaning, exploding vocabulary, etc. She will tell me when she is pooping but then refuse the potty when I offer. So I just ask her when she is done if she is ready to get cleaned up, and wait until she is ready. When she does poop on the potty I casually remark on how easy it is to clean up and her butt stays much cleaner, "that's why mommy and daddy always use the potty." And we have started occasionally talking about how babies wear diapers but big people wear underwear, which are much comfier, and always use the potty when they have to go. We use cloth diapers that feel wet when she pees... she is very aware of her body and when she eliminates... I have heard that babies in sposies don't always notice when they pee because it gets soaked up so fast.

I have underwear ready and waiting. I plan to introduce the concept of underwear when this potty pause is over and she is using the potty more regularly again. If she likes them, we will start with the "3 misses and back in a diaper" full time EC approach, but I will make sure she wants the underwear, and anytime she wants a diaper instead, she will get one.

I don't have a set time limit on it, but I would be surprised if she was still in diapers during the day by the time she is 3. We might go more directly to underwear if/when she outgrows her current cloth diaper stash, too. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

December 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far, we just take Juliana's diaper off and let her go without a diaper around the house when we're on the tile or wood floor downstairs. The first few times she peed, she acted like it was a surprise. It took a few days and then she started going on the potty regularly. She doesn't seem ready to move to the next step of going on the potty when we're out, so we're hanging out there until she's ready.

December 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I believe that potty is a part of the normal routine, it is just culture that has us wait. The potty has been a part of our routine since DD could sit on it, probably around 5 months. Before that she eliminated into the sink. Some days she will go numerous times, other days not at all. Some days she spends hours in underwear, other days she has diaper full time. She is comfortable with the potty and will sit down on it if I ask her most of the time. I dont know when she potty learns but I would like her to get there before her second birthday. I find my approach to be in sync with AP, the popular overnight/3 day boot camps that I hear about seem to be so rough and demand a lot of a kid to suddenly going from ignoring their body to trying to listen and react.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
December 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
We use cloth diapers that feel wet when she pees... she is very aware of her body and when she eliminates... I have heard that babies in sposies don't always notice when they pee because it gets soaked up so fast.
I've also heard that about cloth diapering, along with several anecdotes. My Aunt cloth diapered my cousin and she was potty trained by 18 months without being forced into it.

We've been doing EC on and off since she was around 5 months. I hope this will help her transition out of diapers without really having to "train" her.

December 29th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My 21 month old is actually "Self" potty training. I have had a potty seat around since he was 6 months old. I would sit him on it when I went potty. When he was around 15 months he would do almost all his pees on the potty if I left him naked. He is now telling me when he has to poop (sometimes while he is pooping) and still pees on the potty if he is at home and just wearing undies. He has yet to tell me when he has to pee, either out and about or at home, but he knows when he has to and just sits on the potty if he is mostly naked.

I plan to continue this casual, "toddler lead" training that seems to be just happening...

I secretly hope he is all the way out of diapers by the time Ted arrives. We'll see though.

December 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
We started part time Elimination Communication when M was 5 1/2 months old.
^^ I saw you post something about Elimination Communication when Eleanor was little, and I did some reading and was inspired to start it with her part time when she was about 5 months old It helped us get rid of a chronic diaper rash! There was a time where she was indicating she had to poop with grunts and would poop on the potty almost all the time... I think there was almost 3 months with only 2 poop misses. She has since gone through periods where she is not interested in the potty at all, and I don't really push it.

I try to get her on the potty when she wakes in the morning, before and after nap, before bed, and if she indicates she has to pee or poop. When she is on the potty we sing songs or she looks at books, and she generally is perfectly happy to sit there. If she has to go at that time, she usually will.

She will often stop and say, "poop" when she has to go but then run the other way instead of going to the potty In the last week or so, she has gotten off her potty a couple times, peed on the floor, looked at it very carefully and said, "peepee". That's really the first time she indicated she was aware of peeing, which I take as a great sign. She has even walked to the bathroom door, asked to have it opened, said "peepee" and then peed on the toilet a couple of times. I am wondering if I should give a diaper free week a try and see where we end up.
December 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had the potty in the bathroom from the time DD was a year old, on. She would sit on it all.the.time, although with her clothes on, at that point. She got more and more interested in it as she got older. I didn't push it, but I did a couple of naked days to see how it went when she was almost 2 1/2. First day was a disaster, she just peed on the floor and thought it was hilarious. Second day, she peed on the potty every time! And was magically trained, day and night, from then on. It was kind of weird, to be honest. I kept diapers on her at night for another week or so because I figured she'd end up wetting at night, but she didn't! I think she was really just ready to do it. There was no crying, no fussing, etc. She just was like, yup, I don't need diapers any more, thanks!
Jule'sMomInOR likes this.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

December 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have been putting DD on the potty since maybe 3 or 4 months. I can't remember exactly so she's peed in the potty off and on, but she always goes poop in the potty. She loves it. And now that she's 21 months she asks to sit to go pee. Not always, but sometimes. We're getting ready to really put her in big girl panties so she is encouraged to go in the potty because baby No. 2 is getting ready to enter the world and I don't want to have two kids in diapers since we don't cloth diaper DD. And honestly, I feel she's ready.
January 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM
It's really nice to see how many have had the potty around since the kiddos were little. Usually I've felt like the odd one out when the potty threads show up.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search