co-sleeping

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By joonzgurl
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hello ladies,

I am a mother of 3, my oldest daughter is 13, my son is 9, and we've just added a newborn baby girl to our family, she's almost 7 weeks old now.

Do any of you sleep with your baby? I know the Dr's strongly advise against it for suffocation/squishing reasons but I've always slept with my babies, including my new baby girl. My hubby has taken to the couch because he's afraid to elbow the baby in the head or something but he thinks its good for me to sleep with the baby too. My maternal instincts kick in, the few times he does sleep with us I always wake up when I feel him move.

I just love the bond it creates, I love the snuggles & waking up face to face with her, what are your thoughts/opinions on Co-sleeping?

PS, I'm brand new to just mommies, my name is Lisa
February 12th, 2013, 01:07 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I think you will be hard pressed to find a momma on this board that does not co-sleep at some point!

I think there is nothing more natural than cosleeping. It makes me sooo sad that people are so ignorant and that health professionals continue to advise against it.

ps- Welcome!
NinjaCakes likes this.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Lisa, welcome!!

Cosleeping can be a difficult issue to learn about, because officially there is no distinction whatsoever between an accidental suffocation by a mother on heavy painkillers who passes out with her baby on the couch and smothers him, and an AP mom in a deliberately set up regular bedsharing situation. What I feel we have to assume is that the latter are VERY uncommon. Cosleeping is extremely common throughout human history and cultures, it is quite easy to do it safely. However because there are a lot of preventable deaths caused by unsafe cosleeping, many doctors think it best to just advise against cosleeping, rather than educate about safe cosleeping.

You have felt the instinct that I think all of us have felt, why we KNOW it is safe FOR US, because there is this instinctive awareness of the baby's presence and safety in the bed. This is exactly why it is unsafe to bedshare if you are at all compromised- by sedating medications, by alcohol, by excessive exhaustion even. And the bed environment needs to be safe, no pillows or blankets near baby, no way for them to fall off a high bed or get wedged against a wall or between mattresses or cushions.

It is worth remembering too that babies can suffocate in cribs all by themselves. There are also safe crib sleeping guidelines. No bumpers, stuffed animals, loose blankets or pillows, nothing besides baby and what they are wearing, and a fitted sheet, and make sure they are not overbundled.

Hope this helps! I know some others have great links. Hopefully someone will post of those websites that discuss safe cosleeping. Welcome again
NinjaCakes likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I shared a bed with my oldest (now 2.5) and now my twins take turns sleeping with me (only because I couldn't figure out how to do it safely with both of them...that is what I would have preferred). If you take the necessary precautions, the safest place for baby is right next to you!

Welcome

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 13th, 2013, 09:56 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't think I can say more than has already been said, and I couldn't agree more! I'm very pro co-sleeping, because of both research and experience.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 17th, 2013, 04:36 PM
i think if i had any close calls i would stop... ive heard all the warnings, suggestions, hortible things that could happen but to be honest, ive never known anyone thats had anything bad happen. i know a ton of people & they all have 2 kids or more, all co-sleepers with zero incidents. when i say a ton of people i mean like 200+ moms. i used to work in dental hygeine with kids ages 0-12 so i connected with people all over bc. maybe it depends on the enviroment &whether drugs or alcohol are involved? i dont drink or drug, neither does my hubby so i trust my instincts. plus my girl is the best sleeper so im never exhausted lol
February 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
I don't co sleep. But I am not at all against it. It's just not something we do. I have however slept many nights on the couch with my son when he was an infant, as not to wake my husband who used to have to be to work at 4am. I feel like you are aware the child is there, I know MANY people who cosleep or have coslept and had absolutely NO problems.

February 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
It is for some people and it is not for some. I have been co-sleeping since I brought Monkey home.

Most Dr's will say not to do it, but I say follow your Mother instincts. We have them for a reason. DO what YOU Feel is right.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Tags
co-sleeping

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search