Tattoos

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By klockert

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Do you have any?
What / where are they if you do?
At what age would you allow your LO to get one if he / she wanted one?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Not yet, I want two swallows on my foot (representing freedom) among many other things lol. I suppose once they are 18 I don't really have a say. I hope they are responsible enough to try out what they want for a while, so there are no regrets.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

February 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
miamor
zero tattoos here...
my brother has a million tattoos and full sleeves and what not, (he has those stretched ear lobes too)..i just think of what he's gonna look like when he's 70. funny thing is, when i was younger he always told me i wasn't allowed to get any even tho he had so many...i guess i dont mind them on other people, but they're not for me. my husband doesn't have any either.
carlos can make that decision for himself after he's 18, but i really hope if he choses to do so, he doesn't get anything he regrets later.

tattoo celebrity gossip i read today:
http://perezhilton.com/2013-02-13-dr...-will-kopelman

Last edited by miamor; February 13th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
February 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Destiny
I don't have any, but I'd like to eventually get one to represent each of my kids.

If I feel like my kids are mature enough to make a permanent decision, I will talk to them about it, make them wait a month after picking a tattoo they like (if they stop liking it so much after a month they're not going to like it when they're 70 either.) and make sure to shell out the big bucks for a talented artist.

February 13th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any?no, I have always admired them.
What / where are they if you do?I'm not even sure what I'd get if I were to have one
At what age would you allow your LO to get one if he / she wanted one?Here you can't even consent for a minor to get one anymore... If however My 16 yr old wanted a tattoo, and by the time they are 18 they still want the same thing, I'd probably offer to pay for it. I have no problem with my adult child having tattoos (body art), but I would be so upset if they went the route of my SIL who has home done 'prison' tattoos... it just looks sooo cheap and skanky

February 13th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I am the odd one here! I absolutely LOVE tattoos, I got my first one when I was 16 and have been working on my full arm sleeve for a few years now. If it was not so expensive then it would be done already. Same with DH. He has tons of tattoos.

Do you have any? Yup!
What / where are they if you do? Ok, I have 10 at the moment. Not enough! I have a star on my left wrist, a nautical star inside a nautical star on the right side of my neck, I have "Alwayz" on my left wrist and "Foreverr" on my right wrist, I have a spider coming off its web on my right calf, then on my left calf I have a ghost cat sitting on a pile of skulls, I have a zombie girl from my favorite childhood band on my left shoulder, on my shoulder blade on the right I have a teddy bear that has a halo but his belly is zippered up with a broken heart, on my right foot I have "Dave". I do not think I missed any.
At what age would you allow your LO to get one if he / she wanted one? I got my first one at 16, and DH and I both agreed that 16 is the earliest we would allow Drake to get one.

I think tattoos are amazing. They are such a personal way to express ones self. I am not worried what I will look like when I was 70

Oh, and on the back of my neck I have a skull and cross bones.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

February 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't, but I'd like one. I just haven't figured out the design.

As far as kids, I think it's a matter of the reason and the childs level of maturity. Is it ok if you want one because your friend has one? No. Is it ok if you want to memorialize your mom, grandma, brother, or express something meaningful? Yes. Now, do I think there are any 11, 12, 13 year olds mature enough to decide to memorialize someone? No way. Even at 18 there are people I would say are not ready. We all know not every 18 year old is mature and responsible enough to make the same decisions as others. That just isn't how development works. It's an individual case type of thing. I feel the same way about smoking, drinking, and sex. 18 is just too young for some people to have that freedom.
IronMamma likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; February 13th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
February 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
I have 3. Stars on the inside of my wrist(my best friend has it too), a small butterfly on top of my foot, and a red lotus flower in the center of my chest.

I would probably let Gabby get one at 16 if I felt she was mature enough and as long it wasn't something stupid.
IronMamma likes this.

February 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I feel the same way Kim. I got my first one when I was 16, so did DH and we both believe if Drake is doing well in school, has a good head on his shoulders and its not something "stupid" (like a saying he may regret) then I am all for it. I will even sit with him while he gets it.

February 15th, 2013, 12:22 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Do you have any? I do. 6.

What / where are they if you do? I have a G&S on my wrist for me and my hubby, my sons name on my back left shoulder blade , stars up my back right shoulder blade, heart with vines around it on my right side lower abdomen, flowers and vines on my lower back and music notes on my left ankle.

At what age would you allow your LO to get one if he / she wanted one? Prob 18. The place that we get ours wont allow even an accompanied child to be under 18 when getting inked.

February 15th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Are the laws different in every State / Country for tattoos? Because in NYC you can be 16 with a parent. Or is that everywhere?

February 15th, 2013, 10:18 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Do you have any? I do!

What / where are they if you do? I have "Ashlynn Heather" on my left wrist. Plan on getting "Matthew Toryn" on my right wrist when I have the money.

At what age would you allow your LO to get one if he / she wanted one? I think the law is 18?? If not, I guess whenever it was legal as long as I approved of the tattoo and the reasoning behind it. If it was just something "silly" I would say no, but if it was meaningful and wouldn't be a regret, I'd allow it.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
February 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The laws here have changed since I was 16... if I had wanted a tattoo at 16 so long as I had a note from my parents I could have gotten one. now in my province at least, you have to be 18 no exceptions...

DH has a tattoo on his chest, and I'm constantly encouraging him to get more! He was 17, drunk as a skunk, and had no id etc, so I think that says that you can still find places that will do them!

February 16th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Just a note? People could so forge them. That's not very smart.

February 17th, 2013, 06:52 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Are the laws different in every State / Country for tattoos? Because in NYC you can be 16 with a parent. Or is that everywhere?
i dunno. Mine is in NY too I am not sure what the laws are, but the tattoo shop itself, just doesn't do it. But there are lots around anyway so if they wont do it someone else will.

February 17th, 2013, 08:00 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I have one. It is two mandarin symbols that mean "determination". I got it when I was 20, I had just lost 100lbs. It is between my shoulder blades.

I would allow my child to get one when they are self sufficient. (ie not living with me and old enough to take care of themselves)

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a tattoo on my heels of a rune, it looks between an H and an N, hagalaz, meaning hail. It represents forces of nature we cannot control but we can try to understand and prepare for. It is to remind me that I can't control everything in life and I need to be prepared for anything. I got it when I was 19, after 9/11.

My kids can do whatever they want with their own money once they turn 18.

February 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have one. It's a dragonfly with "Dare you to move" written around one side of it. It covers the top of my entire right foot. And it's really bright colors. I got it after I had been in recovery for three years. "Dare You To Move" is what I call my recovery song. It just reminds me of where I was and where I can go. I planned the tattoo and the words years before I even hit recovery, so it wasn't a snap decision.

I do think that I would be okay with my responsible teen getting a tattoo. As long as it was an idea they had in their head for a long time and still wanted to get it after thinking hard about it. I can't say a certain age...and am not even sure about the laws here. But it would be a dialogue. And if they were on their own, obviously I would be fine with it.

But I do know people who have gotten tattoos as a young person, not meaningful ones, just picked out of a book of designs one night, and have regretted them. I do think tattoos can be a form of art. But truthfully, a lot of people just think they are "fun" and don't stop to think how they will affect them down the line. So I would feel sad if my kids fell into that group.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search