bedtimes..

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
miamor
do your LOs have a bedtime?
even if it's within a 30mins-an hour window. do they consistently get to bed at a certain time?
do you have a routine?

i guess this is a two parter:

my neighbors have 6 kids ranging from 6 months to 16 years old. those kids will often be up at 12am-2am. i know this because they often wake us up making all kinds of noise. and the parents will be with them and say nothing....ANYWAY, that's another story...the little girl has told us they go to bed whenever they want. they also dont go to school everyday, so i'm assuming they might be homeschooled. i know nothing about homeschooling but if you, or if you will homeschool, will you let your child set the schedule??
February 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Claire goes to bed around 8 every night. If she's super tired we'll put her down earlier, or sometimes if might be closer to 8:30 if we're out or she's just wired.

After Claire is in bed we feed both babies one last time and put them down as well.

We rarely if ever deviate from our schedule...it would be a mess. We do plan to homeschool, and there will be a schedule and bedtimes! I think kids need structure...it is healthy for them to know what to expect. Maybe when they are older they won't have a specific bedtime, but a time when they need to be in their room being quiet.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

February 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Destiny
I honestly don't think I would've if I didn't find it so beneficial for Eliana. When I was 16 and homeschooled I had no strict bedtime or wake up time.
We were expected to stay in our rooms after a certain time (8? 9?) but we could do whatever we wanted, video games, movies, books. And if we got up too late we were denied food until lunch (I highly disagree with this method, but what could I do?)
So it was loosely organized, but we had plenty of free reign, I usually went to sleep around 11, I've never been a night owl.
I will have a bedtime, but not a wake up time, unless something happens to change my mind on that front.

February 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
M goes down after dinner. We have somewhat of a routine but it isn't super elaborate. The very most it might entail is: clean up from dinner while talking about it being bedtime soon, (sometimes mommy goes to bed now and says good night and kiss and hug goodnight), potty time with books, get night diaper and pjs on, maybe brush teeth or comb hair or pick up the room if dirty or wakeful, lights out and goodnight to mommy if I am still up, and lie down with daddy and daddy sings songs. Sometimes it is just night diaper on, lie down, conk out. Depends how tired she is and how late we have dinner. It is usually around 7:30-8 she goes to sleep.

I would have a really strict schedule if I homeschooled. It would be for my benefit as well. I am a very unscheduled person in my casual/personal stuff but when I have a lot to do and in my school and career, I kept very strict schedules and timelines and milestones and task lists and all that, it is what I need to be most productive. So both to make sure I stay on top of my teaching, and for the kids' sake, I would have specific school/subject hours etc. I think it is very important to teach that stuff to an older kid. There are not many workplaces where you do whatever, whenever. Even my husband's groovy tech company, which is super flexible, has certain meetings and timelines that have to be attended/met.

February 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
We have a bedtime routine sort of. I feed them, give them a bath and read a story. Then they play around on the floor while I do my homework or watch tv. But the twins stay up later than babies should. They sleep from about 5-7 and then we do our little routine and they go back to sleep around 10 or 11. And most of the time Noah sleeps until I have to leave for school and Liam wakes up maybe once
February 14th, 2013, 09:17 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
do your LOs have a bedtime? Sorta. Drake gets ready for bed anywhere from 8:30 - 10pm, so I "start" bedtime at around 8pm which consists of a shower with me or bath, then lotion him up, rub his belly, maybe read a book, play some blocks and cuddle. Then when he is ready READY I give him his bottle while I rock and sing to him. Once he is out, he is out. I am able to put him right down.
even if it's within a 30mins-an hour window. do they consistently get to bed at a certain time? Almost always, yes.
do you have a routine? Yes. I already answered it. Oops.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Yes, we do. She is always asleep at some point between 7:45 and 8:30 I would say.

Our routine goes like this:
- Eat supper, clean up
- Play and watch the news with mom and dad
- Put on PJ's and change diaper
- Nurse on the couch/have milk in a sippy (now that I am working on weaning)
- Say goodnight to mom and go read stories in room with daddy
- Daddy (or sometimes mommy) rocks her to sleep

I would DEFINITELY adhere to a routine and schedule if I choose to homeschool. I think routine is very important.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 15th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
do your LOs have a bedtime? Yes we have a bedtime. Usually around 6:30-7:30. Depends on how tired she is and what we have going on.

do they consistently get to bed at a certain time? Yes, we have to go to school/work and need to get to bed ourselves by a certain time.

do you have a routine? Yes. I pick her up from school(daycare)then when we get home I cook supper. After supper she gets to play for a few mins while we finish eating. Then we change diaper put on pj's and snuggle for a few mins. Then its in bed. She falls asleep most night watching a Disney movie. We put the Tv on a sleep timer and she usually falls asleep before it goes off.

February 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post

I would DEFINITELY adhere to a routine and schedule if I choose to homeschool. I think routine is very important.
We plan to home school and we are the exact opposite. I plan to not have a schedule set in stone. I want it to be more of a free laxed environment. And that does not mean he gets to do whatever whenever. Just not so much on a schedule.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We usually lay him down betwen 8 & 8:30

Schedule is, bath, bottle, kisses and lay him in his crib & he's out. By 8:30 he's done. He always goes right to bed so thats really it.

February 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sons have a mostly strict bedtime of around 7:30, because they do better if they have the same bedtime every night. They don't mind at all. My daughter we allow to stay up late sometimes, but most of the time she just goes to bed at 7:30. Maybe like once every couple weeks she stays up a little later. My youngest, if left to decide his own bedtime, would go to bed at midnight or later. He needs a "bedtime" (ie: a time to be in bed) in order to unwind.

We home school. We usually do school on Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Sometimes we skip Tues. Sometimes we skip a whole week or two because we have a lot going on. I like the flexibility of home schooling in that sense. I also like that we can wait until 10am to start school on the days we have school and it's no big deal
February 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say that Eleanor is usually asleep between 7:30 and 8:30... I try to put her to bed so that she has a certain amount of wake time for the day, so it depends on when she wakes in the morning and how she naps, but it still usually ends up in that time frame. Our routine is that we nurse on the couch, talking about how she's going night night soon. The I give her kisses and say good night and she heads in with daddy to get ready. They brush teeth, sit on the potty (and read books), get in PJs, then walk her to sleep.
February 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Matthew goes to bed somewhere between 7 and 8pm. Ash is usually between 8 and 9pm. Both wake up whenever..Matthew usually around 7am, Ash anywhere from 7am to 9am, sometimes even later. No real bedtime routine. Just nursing and diaper for Matthew, then either Daddy or I put him to bed and snuggle him until he is asleep. He sleeps in our bed. Ash gives Daddy hugs and kisses, then I put her in bed and she's asleep pretty quickly. I do give her books to look at if she asks, and she has rainbow colored christmas tree lights hung on her wall for a night light that I turn on.

If they were homeschooled, there would still be a bedtime. A wake time? No, as long as they wake up at a reasonable time. But definitely a bedtime. Ash would stay up until midnight if I let her, but she gets extremely (and I do mean extremely!) crabby if she doesn't go to bed before 10pm. I don't think we will homeschool though. I don't think I have it in me to.

February 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Hmm. I've always went with what the parents want or what came naturally when watching people's kids, unless I had one of those I'm so tired I can't stop crying tantrums on my hands. Then I imposed nap time.

I'm a big believer in routines being good for children. They need some stability and structure. Of course they can get that somewhere besides in sleep routines, and some kids will naturally impose their own. I have a friend whose daughter wakes up at 10:30/11ish am, and goes to bed at 1-2am. Weird? A little. But mom and daughter have the same schedule, and Zoey doesn't go to pre-school until the afternoon, so it isn't hurting anyone. Zoey gets enough sleep and doesn't miss pre-school.

It sounds like what those kids have is just a total lack of rules at all, which is not healthy.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search