Saturday Soda

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
I got to wondering? I was in Walmart and I seen this little girl, MAYBE a little older then Drake and her Mom was bent over giving her sips of soda and I could not help but think OMG SHE IS WAYYY TO YOUNG!!! I do not want Drake to have soda for a loooooooooong time. So,

What age do you think its ok to drink soda?
Do you drink soda?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I do drink soda on occasion, but I don't like the carbonation that much. If I drink soda, it's the occasional coke with ice or pepsi throwback (real sugar) because the ice helps kill some carbonation and pepsi throwback isn't super fizzy.

As for the kids... I didn't want either child to have soda until at LEAST 5, and even then I'd prefer not. DF on the other hand thinks it is okay to give Ash a sip or two every now and again and I don't want to undermine him so I let him. Her own soda though? No. They don't need that junk. I do give Ashlynn tea sometimes though, which has some caffeine.
I knew someone who gave their son pepsi in his bottle... like 3-4oz of pepsi.
I was horrified! He was probably 9 months old?? Maybe even younger.. He'd cry and she'd just pour her soda in the bottle and hand it to him in his crib. I was like "OMG are you serious???"

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
February 16th, 2013, 05:36 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I do drink Cherry Coke...it is my bad habit.

Claire has never had soda, and we have no plans to give it to her...I'm going to have to become a closet drinker so I don't encourage her
IronMamma likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 16th, 2013, 06:43 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, first of all, it's not soda, it's pop!

But yes, I do drink it. I drink way less than I used to, but I still have it pretty regularly. Eleanor has not had any and I don't plan on giving her some any time soon. But I don't really believe in banning certain things... I think it just makes kids want them more. I would like to try to teach moderation... a lesson I need to work on myself! Right now Eleanor is young enough that when I have a glass of pop and she asks for some, I can just tell her that it's mommy's water and she will go get her own bottle of water and be perfectly happy.
February 16th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Destiny
I'm okay with sharing your soda around 18 months. But I rarely drink it, so they rarely drink it.

February 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathing for two View Post
I'm okay with sharing your soda around 18 months. But I rarely drink it, so they rarely drink it.
Same here. We gave some to M even sooner just bc we were eating out and she always wants to try everything we are eating she hates fizzy sodas though. The only sodas I ever had in the house were some natural grapefruit juice sodas when I had morning sickness and she always wanted to try it but then always made a yucky face she likes lemonade a lot though. We usually get lemonade when we are out at a burger joint type place that sells sodas.

February 16th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
lol It's pop up here too!

We have it occasionally when we go out, or if we're hosting an event at our house, otherwise we don't keep it in the house. We don't usually even have juice around.

I don't have any intention of giving my child pop. It's just not something I see happening at this point. That said, I know that there will be times when someone else will offer it to our children, they will go to events with other kids, or to their homes and they will have pop. I'm not that anal about it..... but I don't see us giving it to our child.
I know a lot of my ideals will change after baby is born, but this is one I see as staying the same because it doesn't 'inconvenience' me to give them water or milk instead. I have never in my life been somewhere that pop was the only option for a beverage.

February 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
Dr. Pepper is my weakness. I don't drink coffee or tea but soda is a staple at my house. I used to drink like 2 a day but I stopped when I was pregnant and started breastfeeding.
I don't plan in giving the twins soda until they are 5 or so
February 16th, 2013, 09:16 AM
miamor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post

ha..my husband is from the midwest..he always calls it pop. i grew up in california, it's definitely SODA!

anyway,when i was 13, my new year's resolution was to not drink soda and i haven't had coke, pepsi, orange crush, whatever ever since. i have had clear carbonated natural/organic sodas since and that is something i wont be opposed to having carlos drink in moderation in the future.
February 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
We drink soda here as well, Tommy has had sips of soda, my dad is famous for giving them sips. I don't let Tommy have at home nor would I give it to him in a sippy cup. Lily is 9 and I let her have her own once in awhile but she really doesn't care for it so I really don't have to limit her because she rarely chooses it over water or tea.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**

Last edited by i:heart:you; February 16th, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
February 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I hardly ever drink it... maybe when we eat out? I never buy it.

I won't be offering it to my children for a long time.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Ummm, never? That may be my nap-time sanity talking. Ever try to get a kid full of mt dew to nap? Kids do not need it! Did you know that caffeine doesn't actually give you energy? It just dulls your sense of being tired. It actually helps teach people not to listen to their bodies. Great, huh Just what kids need!

We were not allowed soda on a regular basis growing up, though my mom drank it a lot. We were told from the start that it's bad for your teeth. Unfortunately as you grow older you gain autonomy, so I became pretty addicted for a long time. I went through phases where I couldn't touch it at all because it would hurt my stomach so badly. That should have been a sign. Last year I hit my "I want to be healthy," stage and quit drinking it. I lost 10lbs Talk about reward! Never going back! I've even had a sip of it since then and it was so disgusting I spit it out - that's very telling as far as it's addictive qualities.

I don't like for kids to have it. I guess I still hold on to that it's bad for your teeth thinking. Then there's the unhealthy weight gain, the fact that it contributes nothing their growing bodies need, and the fact that it makes them cranky as all get out. I will pass. I just hope I can keep my child away from people who won't listen to me when I say I don't want him/her to have it.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 16th, 2013, 01:00 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't drink it often. when my kids are old enough to eat what everyone else is eating, then I let them have sips of whatever I'm drinking if I'm having something different from them. Mostly I drink juice and water. I have soda maybe once a month lol

I am really into these now though:

0 Cal
0 Carbs
No sodium
Natural flavors
b vitamins
d vitamins
antioxidants form caffeine free green tea extract

It's sweetened with splenda. I recently found these and drink maybe 3-4 of them a week and usually share with my kids when I do lol
February 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We dont drink much soda here. If we order a pizza and it comes with a 2 liter we drink it. Gary hasn't had it yet, and I dont plan on it for a long time. I grew up in a soda free house, so that wont be a problem

A big thank you to Jaidynsmum for another gorgeous siggy!!
February 16th, 2013, 06:34 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
Gabby has had a few sips here and there, but she definitely doesn't get it on a regular basis.

February 16th, 2013, 08:59 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
NO its not!

I do not buy soda, I have it when I am at a restaurant or at a birthday party, something like that. I am iffy because, I know that its not good for you but it taste so good! Well, some. I like dark sodas. But, I do not want Drake to drink it for obvious reasons but then again what if I want one? But I think no soda until at LEAST 5, no sooner.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search