My biggest fear

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
About becoming pregnant soon....

As I laid in bed the other night, it hit me... If I got pregnant .... Most likey my milk supply would tank and I may not be able to bf Rilynn.

I did a lot of googling and some moms found their supply disappeared as soon as a month after conceiving, while others it was about 4 to 8 months along. Some continued breastfeeding the entire time. While others couldn't.

If I knew "for sure" my supply would hang around for another 4 to 8 months I'd be ok with that.

And it's not so much that I may have to supplement (which I'd be ok with if my supply hung around till mid pregnancy when it changes to colostrum), its more if my supple completely goes away and I have to stop breastfeeding entirely. I'm lovin the breastfeeding bond I have with her.

Ideally, I'd want to breastfeed Rilynn till I gave birth (with some supplementing if needed) and then tandem nurse both babies.

Oh what to do?!

February 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My supply tanked when I was about 20 weeks. Everett still dry nurses though.'

February 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Hmmm... I honestly think that only you truely know the answer to this. Is there a rush to having another? Are you willing to potentially stop nursing to have one sooner?

Drying up by 20 weeks I have heard is very common. I am 6 weeks though and haven't had any trouble so far.

I guess it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons and going from there.

BTW: You are BRAVE!!! Either that or you have an easy baby . I could not imagine having the ability to even think about having another when Avery was only 2 months old. She is so much easier now and I am still kind of freaked out and mine will be 26 months apart.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
Hmmm... I honestly think that only you truely know the answer to this. Is there a rush to having another? Are you willing to potentially stop nursing to have one sooner?

Drying up by 20 weeks I have heard is very common. I am 6 weeks though and haven't had any trouble so far.

I guess it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons and going from there.

BTW: You are BRAVE!!! Either that or you have an easy baby . I could not imagine having the ability to even think about having another when Avery was only 2 months old. She is so much easier now and I am still kind of freaked out and mine will be 26 months apart.
Rilynn is a pretty easy baby... That said we do want our wee ones pretty close together.

My "plan" was to have two quite close then a couple year break and then two move close together.

February 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Ditto Rachel...is there a rush? Most doctors recommend giving yourself time between pregnancies to heal and rePlenish nutrient stores. Nourishing yourself plus two kids can be really hard on your body (speaking from experience.)

(I was typing and didn't see your previous post).

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 21st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Destiny
I never had my milk lessen, except when I was eating massive amounts of peppermint.
When I got pregnant with Eli I did speak to a lactation consultant, she recommended supplementing if your baby was under a year when you get pregnant. By that point it was a little late and everything worked out, but it's something to keep in mind.

I think that the only thing to do would examine the pros and cons and decide what's important to you and best for your babies. Nursing during pregnancy can be challenging and a lot of children do wean, but tandem nursing is also very rewarding.

Good luck! KUP

February 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a lot of similar concerns soon after Eleanor was born. It had taken us 2 years, a miscarriage, and infertility treatments to conceive Eleanor, and I was not really liking the idea of preventing another pregnancy. I felt that if we prevented and then struggled with infertility again I would always wonder if our choice to prevent made us miss our chance to get pregnant. My doctor's advice was to space deliveries by at least 1 year, and to make sure I was supplementing with calcium. We ended up preventing for the first 3 months and then leaving it up to chance.

I was very concerned that if I got pregnant quickly, I would end up shortchanging Eleanor's nursing relationship, but in the end it was a fear I could live with because I also didn't want to shortchange her on a sibling relationship. I didn't have much hope of getting pregnant quickly, though, so that might have made my decision a little easier.

I really like the timing of our pregnancy and am looking forward to having 2 closely spaced babies. So far supply hasn't been an issue (as far as I can tell), and I am lucky that I have not had any pain or discomfort while nursing. I know that my supply could tank at any moment, and if Eleanor chooses to wean, I will be sad, but ok with it. She is a nursing addict though, so I kind of think she may continue comfort nursing even if my supply drops.
February 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
My supply tanked when I was about 20 weeks. Everett still dry nurses though.'
Oh, he does!?
I wouldn't mind if Rilynn dry nursed, but wouldn't she get frustrated nothing is coming out?

February 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It is really hard to say how your body will react to pregnancy. Your mill might stay the same and you might BF fine throughout. Or if you are like me, your milk will get thin, watery, and sour/salty right when you get a BFP. Seriously, the main reason I tested was bc M was suddenly making these "yuck" faces at me after nursing briefly, and the milk smelled different and the texture was totally different, and I was like "what happened to my BM? Maybe I am pregnant or something..." Happened literally overnight. Pretty quickly I was drying up, too and my nipples were sore and it became hellish to nurse.

M was 17 months old when I got my positive test and 18 months old when I last breastfed her. She was still BFing a lot but also eating and drinking a full diet of solid foods so it was not a nutritional issue to wean her. And I wonder if my body sort of knew she was a toddler and didn't need the milk as much. Like if I got pregnant with a smaller baby, would my body work harder to make richer milk for her? I don't know. But I would definitely be prepared for the scenario where your milk dries up and you have to supplement with formula. If that is not an acceptable scenario to you, then I would prevent pregnancy until she was on solid foods (sometime after 6 months). But there are worse things and it is a hypothetical anyway, so if you really want close spaced sibs you could just go for it and see what happens. Good luck either way!

February 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Even if your supply does dry up Rilynn may still want to nurse! It depends on her own preferences, how used to it she is by now, what habits you've established, etc. Charlie (my older son) nursed continuously throughout my pregnancy with my younger son, even though I know I was pretty much dry by the second trimester. Charlie actually self-weaned on the very day that Beau was born, because when my colostrum came in it totally took him by surprise. He was so used to getting nothing! He took one taste of the colostrum, pulled off and said "no," and then never asked to nurse again.

In my personal opinion, I would let your own body be the guide. If you've already resumed ovulating even though you're full-time breastfeeding, then your body may be able to handle doing both. Personally, I never resumed ovulating until my older kids were a year and a half, so I took that as a sign that my body wasn't ready for another pregnancy.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
February 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
I had a lot of similar concerns soon after Eleanor was born. It had taken us 2 years, a miscarriage, and infertility treatments to conceive Eleanor, and I was not really liking the idea of preventing another pregnancy. I felt that if we prevented and then struggled with infertility again I would always wonder if our choice to prevent made us miss our chance to get pregnant. My doctor's advice was to space deliveries by at least 1 year, and to make sure I was supplementing with calcium. We ended up preventing for the first 3 months and then leaving it up to chance.

I was very concerned that if I got pregnant quickly, I would end up shortchanging Eleanor's nursing relationship, but in the end it was a fear I could live with because I also didn't want to shortchange her on a sibling relationship. I didn't have much hope of getting pregnant quickly, though, so that might have made my decision a little easier.

I really like the timing of our pregnancy and am looking forward to having 2 closely spaced babies. So far supply hasn't been an issue (as far as I can tell), and I am lucky that I have not had any pain or discomfort while nursing. I know that my supply could tank at any moment, and if Eleanor chooses to wean, I will be sad, but ok with it. She is a nursing addict though, so I kind of think she may continue comfort nursing even if my supply drops.

That's kinda how I see it (until my insecurity creeps in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
Even if your supply does dry up Rilynn may still want to nurse! It depends on her own preferences, how used to it she is by now, what habits you've established, etc. Charlie (my older son) nursed continuously throughout my pregnancy with my younger son, even though I know I was pretty much dry by the second trimester. Charlie actually self-weaned on the very day that Beau was born, because when my colostrum came in it totally took him by surprise. He was so used to getting nothing! He took one taste of the colostrum, pulled off and said "no," and then never asked to nurse again.

In my personal opinion, I would let your own body be the guide. If you've already resumed ovulating even though you're full-time breastfeeding, then your body may be able to handle doing both. Personally, I never resumed ovulating until my older kids were a year and a half, so I took that as a sign that my body wasn't ready for another pregnancy.
I started overlaying last month.
I tried to look as my body being the guide too. If its ready, then it's ready. If not it won't work out till its supposed to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search