Night Weaning?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IronMamma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Destiny
I'm trying to decide whether or not to night wean before the baby gets here. It's so easy to get Eli back to sleep, and it might be too much for my hubby to need to help with him, especially since our oldest is terrible at sleeping.

Has anyone done double boobie duty at night? Did you think it was worth it? Was it something you would willingly do again?

February 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All my babies were sleeping through the night by 12-18 months, so there was no need to nurse at night then.

It couldn't hurt to try not offering Eli the breast at night. He might be waking, but it might not necessarily be for nursing, and he might just be taking nursing because it's offered. IDK...

I'll say this: I wouldn't want to be in the situation of both babies crying for me at the same time at night. It happens, though. It's just hard because then one needs to wait while you help the other. Some people are able to nurse both at the same time, though, but I was never able to master that.
February 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Destiny
He tends to ask for it as soon as he wakes up, he tries to get to it and if I don't help him or if I turn him down he makes a big fuss.

I know it'll be a PITA to night wean him, and I don't think I can do it without help. But the idea of nursing two at a time every night isn't really compelling for me.
Maybe I can just hope that as my due date approaches it's no longer a need he has, but that's quite the gamble.

February 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Double boobie duty. That's hilarious!

I have no advice in this department, but I wanted you to know that if I was you, I think I would try. Just so my night would be a little easier. But I have no experience at all in this.

You def do need help with night weening though. I feel your pain.
breathing for two likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
How many times a night does he nurse currently?
February 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
How many times a night does he nurse currently?
I'd say two or three times. Sometimes he helps himself and I sleep through it, so I don't have a great count. That's been happening a lot more since I got pregnant. Other times he'll nurse for hours, and I'll fall asleep and he'll still be nursing in the morning.

February 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sounds a lot like comfort nursing.

I would try to get it down to a steady 2 times a night for a month, then down to once a night for a month. So, the first 2 times he wakes, let him nurse. You'll have to stay awake for it though so it doesn't turn into all night. I know that part sucks But it's temporary. When he wakes up the 3rd time, maybe have your DH go to him, or if you still are the one to go to him offer him other things. Just tell him "no more nursies tonight" (or whatever you call it) "how about a cuddle?" It won't be easy, but at least it won't be "all at once" for him.
February 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope it resolves itself more easily than you think it will. I totally understand the fear of having 2 waking to nurse at night... I don't think I am up for it, either!

We have been trying to work on gradually night weaning Eleanor, but it has been really hit or miss, and I am taking a break to regroup before trying again. I think next we might try more of a cold turkey method and see how she does because we have tried gradual several times and it's not working too well for her. I really hope we can get her sleeping better before the new baby comes, but I guess she has a say in it, too
February 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Destiny
I had to go cold turkey with my daughter, and it was actually not too bad, but it involved my husband taking care of every single wake up until she got over the not nursing.
I got some much needed pregnant sleep and Eliana night weaned.
Sometimes I worry that she's up so much so she can get in some quality daddy cuddles, but hopefully she will eventually just come into bed with us when that's what she wants.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
I hope that you find something that works, kup.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search