Night weaning advice needed!!!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 05:38 PM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been MIA from here for a long time, but I am really needing some advice about night weaning. I would really like to night wean him and get a full nights sleep, but he is sooo demanding. We cosleep and the other night I was awakened because I was being beaten. lol I'm serious I felt little fists on my back and I rolled over and Caleb was beating away on my back with closed fists trying to wake me up and demand milk. If I try to calm him and get him to sleep any other way it turns into a huge crying fit. We want to try for baby #2 in July but I have to have him a little less dependent first. He still nurses a lot during the day too, he is a horribly picky eater. Having DH help at night isn't an option either, I stay home and he works 12-14 hr shifts and losing sleep isn't something he will consider. With his sleep schedule we usually aren't even in the same bed. I've been told he will wean when he's ready but I REALLY don't want to be nursing while pregnant and I REALLY REALLY don't want to tandem nurse. My family would give me an insanely hard time about it and I am so sick when I'm pregnant I can't imagine having to nurse too. Any advice???
February 22nd, 2013, 10:21 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
I do not think we ever met, but I am Jess, your Co-Host. Nice to meet you!

I want to say that I do not have advice in this department because we too are trying to come up with a night time routine so that everyone gets more sleep. But the last few days have been good, I don't want to jinx it!

Have you tried to not give him so much boob during the day so he will slooooowly forget about it? Do you always nurse on demand, like the split second he wants it? Maybe wait a minute and then see what he does?

I know that some of the ladies here can offer some great advice. I am so sorry I am not much help. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 23rd, 2013, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We stopped co sleeping at 8.5ish months because none of us were sleeping well anymore. After we transitioned her to her crib night weaning came naturally...I think we were accidently waking her up (my husband snores for example) and when she'd wake she want to nurse. I'm not sure if you'd be willing to stop co sleeping already but sleeping separately and night weaning went hand in hand for us.

Maybe someone else has some better advice though; I know weaning your child from co sleeping isn't the most AP thing to do...

March 2nd, 2013, 08:22 PM
MissImpatientlyWaiting's Avatar Super Mommy
Sorry I disappeared, life is so hectic. During the day nursing totally depends on his mood there are days he demands it constantly and other days he may nurse only twice. I have no idea how to change the cosleeping, I'm not sure I want to because I feel so secure with him there with me too. He is a very active 20 month old. The crib had to go at 11 months because he learned how to climb out and almost fell. He has a twin bed in his room but when he wakes up he can get into everything and I'm asleep and dont know it. Yes I baby proof but there is only so much I can do. I mean this kid night climb a bookshelf? We have his crib sidecarred onto our bed.
Plus I try getting him to sleep on nights DH is off work and then getting back up to spend a little time with DH and I usually dont get more than an hr at most before he is up and crying for me. He wants me right there all the time when he is sleeping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search