Sunday Sports

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind?
Do you have a favorite team?
Do you have a favorite sport?
Did you play any as a child?
Do you plan to put LO in any?
What if they don't like it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 23rd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind?Yes, hockey mostly. Bull riding usually once a year
Do you have a favorite team?Winnipeg Jets, and I grew up in a Habs house
Do you have a favorite sport?Yes Hockey
Did you play any as a child?I played ringette, danced, volley ball, badminton, soccer
Do you plan to put LO in any?possibly hockey. Basketball is popular here in the school, and possibly softball because that also seems to be a big thing around here
What if they don't like it?then they don't do it. Although I would be encouraging to give it a good try first, I quit every sport I was in and I regret it all now. I wish I had been pushed a little bit, especially in the sports I showed more promise in!
alittlelost likes this.

February 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
My husband likes football and baseball. I HATE football. But I love baseball. YANKEES. We are a big yankees family. But anyway my hubby played every sport so we will try Gary in everything and whatever he likes, he likes if not he can do what he likes

Happily married to the love of my life, mom of two beautiful babies, Gary & Adalyn
February 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Destiny
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind? ahaha, nope

Do you have a favorite team? no

Do you have a favorite sport? I like watching dance, but I don't know if that counts

Did you play any as a child? I played soccer when I was very small (9 or 10), I was actually pretty good at it, but I had no passion for it

Do you plan to put LO in any? if they want to

What if they don't like it? then they can quit

February 24th, 2013, 11:46 AM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind? We like to watch basketball and football
Do you have a favorite team? For football we like the Eagles and for basketball we like the lakers
Do you have a favorite? Love volleyball!
Did you play any as a child? I played volleyball and soccer!
Do you plan to put LO in any? If they want too
What if they don't like it? I would be sad but it's their choice
February 24th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind? Not really. My dad watches some basketball, baseball, and football but my husband does not and I have no real interest. We don't have cable/TV anyway.
Do you have a favorite team? My DH is a huge Longhorns fan for college football but that is more of a UT pride thing than a real passion for sports
Do you have a favorite sport? Maybe soccer
Did you play any as a child? I played soccer mostly. Also a little basketball, lacrosse, and ultimate frisbee. I quit at some point in high school.
Do you plan to put LO in any? If they want to. Probably at least in some recreational league type stuff when they are younger. It is a good low pressure environment just to get some exercise. Surfing is really big here but I would rather they not get into that (as kids at least) because of the expense of the gear, and the danger.
What if they don't like it? Um, then I wouldn't be surprised we are definitely nerds rather than jocks around here!

February 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind?
My husband and I watch boxing sometimes. My daughter and I watch gymnastics. My daughter will watch anything though, even football with her grandpa.

Do you have a favorite team?
Team USA lol

Do you have a favorite sport?
Gymnastics. I also enjoy watching boxing and sometimes soccer.

Did you play any as a child?
I played softball and did gymnastics. I also did horseback riding and dance.

Do you plan to put LO in any?
My daughter is in gymnastics. My boys aren't because they can't socially handle a public sports situation We're working toward it, though!

What if they don't like it?
We always talk to our kids before they sign up for anything and let them know they have to keep their commitment to a season/session/etc, but that if they don't like it they don't have to sign up for the next season/session. this was a rule I grew up on and my cousins, and while it was tough as a kid, I'm thankful for it. It was never "harsh" and my cousins and me never felt like anything was forced on us. We understood it was about sticking to a commitment, and I think I would have been a wishy washy, unreliable, and selfish person (because of my own "natural" personality) if it weren't for my parents instilling this in me. Instead, I am the person everyone says they can count on and who is always willing to do for others, but I also knows my limits and I think twice before making a promise I might not really be able to commit to or might change my mind about later.

My cousin did cheer leading and probably wanted to quit at least once a month . . . but every time a new session came around and her parents asked her "sign up again or pass?" she ALWAYS chose to sign up again. It was just her frustrations slipping through, and it would stink to quit something you didn't really want to quit. We also want to raise our children to know that when you make a commitment, especially to a team sport, you have other people counting on you and you have to live up to your commitments and promises. You don't have to make NEW commitments and promises, but you follow through on what you have already made.

With my daughter's gymnastics, it's a bit harder, because you pay monthly, but it's really a "season" commitment but the season basically last 9 months and kind of continues through the summer. Having spoken to make ex-gymnasts and gym-moms, one mom had an approach that we really liked. If the kid just didn't like it anymore, she would have her think about it for a few months before quitting. If the kid wanted to quit because of frustration over not getting a skill, they would have an agreement such as "Try for 3 months to get the skill. Whether you get the skill or not, you can quit then if you still want to. If you get the skill sooner and still want to quit, you can quit right then." EVERY time her daughter did this, she ended up getting the skill and not wanting to quit. Now when things get hard, she doesn't want to quit because she knows she can work through it and keep doing something she loves.

I think it's great she didn't just quit every time she had a whim, because some sports you can't quit and just get back into, and a lot of kids have regrets. We saw this recently with a girl who quit gymnastics and wanted to go back, but now her team is level 4 and she's level 2, and she wishes she hadn't quit. I'm all for kids learning things like this on their own, but there are better opportunities for them to learn it, IMO, and I don't want to give them a huge setback when simply having them give it a little time first will instill other good values.

Also, one of the things I like about sports is that it teaches them how to work through the "boring" stuff to do what they love. That's life! You work a job that maybe has some downfalls, but you do it because you like getting paid! Doing laundry isn't fun for most people, but I think most people like having clean clothes and towels and bed sheets. And so the list goes on. With sports, you have to do conditioning, which a lot of kids don't generally like, but if they quit the first time they did conditioning, they never get to see how the conditioning made them better at something they loved and made them love a sport MORE. My sister went through that phase. She HATED conditioning for softball at first. Now SHE is the one doing it, on her OWN, without help from her coach, because of the sense of fulfillment she gets from improving her game. She's an amazing softball player and LOVES it and I can't imagine how much she would regret it if she'd quit the first time she had to do some sit ups. Now she has scholarship offers for softball to some great colleges (but she wants to go on academic scholarship instead, which she can.)

I think it's important not to force your kids to do things but ALSO important to teach them to not let frustration stand in their way, not give up on your commitments, and not to make rash decisions they might later regret. So this is the (what we believe to be) balanced decision we came to for our kids. Obviously others will view it a different way and handle it differently and in a way that suits their family and family goals.

One interesting story from when my daughter first started gymnastics: She would get mad at me and tell me, "I don't want to do gymnastics anymore." I would say, very calmly, "Gymnastics is for you, not for me. If you want to quit, I won't sign you up again. Daddy will be happy because it will save him money." Then she would say, "Well, I do want to still do gymnastics, but I'm mad at you." See, she mistook my interest in her doing gymnastics as me thinking her gymnastics was for me, when it wasn't. When she realized it was for HER, her attitude turned around. She NEVER says things like that anymore. But I could have pulled her out right then and there, and that would have been sad, because it is clearly her life passion at this point.

A girl on my daughter's team also wanted to quit, because she was scared of competition. Her mom told her she didn't have to compete. They could just go and watch. And if after this season she still wanted to quit, she could. Well, she almost didn't compete . . . but then she decided she would. This shy girl who normally cries to separate from her mom was HAMMING IT UP during competition. She did great, too! The next morning her mom said, "Good morning, D." and D said, "Don't you mean, 'Good morning, gymnastic superstar?'" I wish I could have been there for that. Her mom thought it was hilarious. Now her daughter is practicing at home, too, and has stopped talking about wanting to quit.

I do think there's a lot of psychology involved in kids wanting to quit things. Sometimes they can't even give a real accurate reason. Just "I hate it" or "I'm bored". As a parent, it's my job to dig deep down and find out what the core problem really is (a bit like a kid who is having a tantrum because they say they want a lollipop, but what they really need is a nap, a lunch bigger in protein, and for me to remember to give them their daily vitamin). I do that, and the tantrums for candy go away. Same is true with anything emotional going on with a child. They don't yet have the ability to express feelings with depth and complexity. We have to find those depths and complexities and help them express it and help them through it in a way that makes them feel happiest and more secure and loved in the end. (And what those things are might be different from child to child!)

Add: One of my friends has a pretty neat approach, too. When her kids are young, he lets them try EVERYTHING they want to. They can start/quit at any time, but he does it when they are young so they aren't breaking any commitments. They go into it know this is to try it out. After they've tried everything they think they would be interested in, they can pick what they want to stick with. From there, his approach is similar to ours. They can quit if they want, but they have to finish any commitments first.

Last edited by alittlelost; February 25th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
February 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind? Yes! We LOVE sports! We are a HUGE football family!
Do you have a favorite team? STEELER NATION!!!!
Do you have a favorite sport? Football, hands down!
Did you play any as a child? I played basketball, dodgeball and volleyball.
Do you plan to put LO in any? Yes, I plan to put him in football, baseball and hockey.
What if they don't like it? He can stop the first time he says he does not want to play. I am not about forcing anything onto a child.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 26th, 2013, 04:26 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Does your family like / watch sports? If so, what kind? Nooooo
Do you have a favorite team? Nope
Do you have a favorite sport? Soccer
Did you play any as a child? Yup, soccer
Do you plan to put LO in any? Yep, we will try her in gymnastics, dancing & any other thing I find that sounds interesting haha
What if they don't like it? Then we will stop

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search