Misinformation

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ohnicole
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By ComfortablyMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Last week in my psych class somehow co-sleeping got brought up. The professor proceeded to trash co-sleeping, talking about how dangerous it was and how so many children die from the "family bed" set up. It really made me sad that someone so educated in some areas is so obviously uneducated in this, and still thought she should pass on her opinion despite the fact that she clearly has done no research into it.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
February 25th, 2013, 01:24 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
That is really sad.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess he doesn't know that SIDS used to be called Cot Death or why But yes, very sad that he's misinforming people
February 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is ridiculous to even talk about co-sleeping in a psych class, let alone give personal opinions on it!
February 25th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Destiny
I really hate when people take professional's opinions as facts in things that they aren't educated in.

You might as well cite your MIL as a reliable information source.
KMH likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 04:41 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
That IS so sad. I wonder how many people felt belittled or "wrong" ... they could be co-sleepers and he wouldn't have even known...
ashleighgurl likes this.

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

February 26th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's interesting though. The information it out there, all over the place. I picked up a brocheur from 'Health Canada' about safe sleep at my appointment today out of curiosity.

It talks all about the benefits and reduction in SIDS related deaths etc when room sharing (co-sleeping) but warns against Bed sharing... It gave examples of why they felt it was unsafe, and I agree, in the same way that putting your baby into a car could be unsafe, or walking and holding baby could be unsafe (because you could fall) etc etc.

The rest of the pamphlet was more or less about bumper pads and blankets in cribs.

February 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
That is ridiculous to even talk about co-sleeping in a psych class, let alone give personal opinions on it!

I also think that when it comes to co-sleeping there is no right nor wrong. It is just an opinion / life style. I do not think it is something that should be bashed at all. Who cares how YOUR child sleeps at night.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Veteran
I'm also bewildered as to why this was brought up in a psych class? Unless maybe it was a child development class? The professor should have just encouraged people to read the research that's out there.
February 27th, 2013, 11:04 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
How sad...
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

February 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by divadresser View Post
I'm also bewildered as to why this was brought up in a psych class? Unless maybe it was a child development class? The professor should have just encouraged people to read the research that's out there.
It was brought up while she was talking about difficult vs easy children. A student asked a really off the wall, unrelated question about whether it's true that babies sleep better on their mothers chests because they can hear her heartbeat. Somehow sleeping with a baby on your chest got lumped in with sleeping on the couch with baby, and in the bed with baby. She never even brought up intentionally set up co-sleeping environments or differentiated between them and accidentally falling asleep with baby, obviously indicating her lack of knowledge on the topic.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran
That's so sad! It just goes to show you that book smarts aren't everything! (FWIW - I have a Master's in Psychology and this topic was never brought up in any of my undergrad or grad classes. It seems like a really off-the-wall question! Ha!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search