What do you think?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pretty much since she was a newborn, I have had this constant worry that Eleanor has a dairy sensitivity of some kind. There was never any super obvious sign that made me feel absolutely sure that she had a dairy sensitivity, but there seem to always be these little things that add up and just give me a nagging feeling about it. It was always that she was a little fussy, or had a weird diaper rash for a while, or was rubbing her eyes all the time, or any one of other little things like that that could also be due to tons of other causes. I have occasionally cut dairy out of her or my diet, and the results have not really convinced me. Basically I feel like I am always in a gray area wondering whether it is a good idea to give her dairy or not.

She had been STTN with 1 waking in August (after a lot of work with no cry techniques). Then she slowly just slipped back into her old ways of waking frequently. It coincided with a teething period, but as it kept going and going, I started to think that it also coincided with when we introduced yogurt. I started thinking about this soon after we had also introduced cheese, which she was in love with. She started asking for cheese constantly. Then she had a couple days with loose BMs, which had happened with teething in the past. It went on longer than usual, so I decided to stop the dairy, and the loose BMs stopped. It was much more convincing than other changes in her diet, but it still could have been a virus or something and just a coincidence.

So I didn't give her dairy for a while and then slowly added back yogurt and then cheese (but just cheese in foods, I still don't just give her cheese). I added the cheese maybe 2-4 weeks ago, and it's just so much easier to give her whatever we have that I got a little lazy about keeping track of how much she has in a day. A couple times in the last few days she has spit up a little after nursing, which she hadn't done in months. That got me thinking that it seems like (although my memory is not the greatest) her latest bad sleep phase has been around the same time as re-introducing cheese. She hasn't had any BM issues lately, though.

But basically I am always wondering if it's real or if I'm just making it up... like I'm wishing for some magic solution that will make her sleep better so I keep thinking she has a diet issue. It would be easier if it was something completely obvious, but it's always these little subtle things that I'm trying to put together to mean something. I just don't know. What do you think?
February 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I don't know a lot about dairy issues in particular, but I can identify with the feelings you're having about it. That sense that something might be wrong, but there's so many factors that come in to play. Our kids are miserable in one way or another and they can't tell us. Trying to guess what's actually going on can be mind racking. Have you done a food diary with her? Keep track of what's coming in and what's going out and roughly the times and it could help pinpoint it. You may already be doing that, though.

I know from my own experience (DH + vague IBS)... Sometimes lactose intolerance can be with certain kinds of dairy, like milk is ok but rich cream sauce or cheeses cause problems.

I hope you get it figured out. =)
February 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG I know how you feel... that is rough because you can never really get clear evidence of causation with these things. You could cut out all dairy from both of your diets and notice improvement but then you would never know if it was just spontaneous due to her teething or something... or you could do nothing and have it keep going like this and just wonder what else you should do...

Poops are probably a more direct indicator than sleep/fussiness... most dairy issues immediately affect bowel function and only indirectly other things. So maybe along PP's idea, keep a food diary for her but also note any bad poops on there, for maybe 2 weeks. See if you notice a pattern.

I know moms always are willing to try anything to help their babies feel better, but the trend of elimination diets for BFing moms to solve their baby's colic or bad sleep or whatever, is such a pet peeve for me. I know you're not hopping on that bandwagon but I feel like the mommysphere or zeitgeist or whatever is so full of those ideas (gluten is the devil etc) and they do more harm than good IMO. It sounds like you already tried a few experiments there and had mixed results... but the food/symptom diary is a legit tool and that was how my dietician diagnosed my food intolerances. The more and longer you collect data, the more clearly you will be able to see patterns. Of course since I am not a dietician I did not see the patterns until she pointed them out... I have issues with certain animal fats (pork, uncultured cow dairy) and low quality or probably rancid oils (like in most fried fast foods). But since you are mainly concerned about dairy, that should be an easier pattern to look for.

Good luck hun!!! I hope one way or another, Eleanor starts sleeping better soon.

February 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
When it comes to any issues with sleep I am not the person to ask. Im sorry!

I would imagine though, with a sensitivity to dairy she would have lose stools, so I dont know. Hmm.

I almost feel like its just coincidence. She has good nights then bad and you are trying to figure out why she is having a bad night and you think about your day and what she did / ate etc. I know I do that. Could that maybe be it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 27th, 2013, 05:34 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
We JUST found out that Avery has a dairy sensitivity. She has had this awful bum rash (mostly on her bum cheeks) for over 2 months, I had tried everything! Finally yhe dr suggested cutting out milk, and seriously the rash was gone within 12 hours. We gave her almond milk instead.

Cheese and yogurt seem to be fine.

Anyways, I think you need to trust your gut instincts. Can you take her to an allergist to be sure?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Ya know, DH is lactose. I am not. I WAS when I was a baby. I outgrew it. When Drake was little he was not able to digest milk based formula but was able to tolerate yogurt and cheese. Now he can drink whole milk just fine. Maybe he was too? I don't know. He was drinking soy for a while too.

Do you think you will try milk again with Avery over time?

I also agree with taking her to an allergist. I did not even think of that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

February 27th, 2013, 11:04 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies It sounds like you are all echoing my bipolar feelings... maybe I am having a good intuition, and maybe I am making it all up

I think I'm going to keep a food diary for a while and see if I see any obvious connections. I will also work on night weaning again. That way when I go to Eleanor's 18 month appointment if she is weaned and still sleeping terribly I can bring up the whole sleep/potential allergies thing and maybe get a referral to an allergist or see if her pediatrician has any other ideas.
February 27th, 2013, 11:14 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there are some things that MOST people do well cutting from their diet, even if they don't have an allergy (such as gluten and milk). If you think there might be a problem with milk, try using an alternative such as almond milk. You can try an elimination diet even and just see if your daughter is better off certain foods and that will help you identify which foods those may be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search