I need ideas

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Destiny
As to why my 3 year old is getting up in the middle of the night and staying up.

She refuses to let me take care of her if DH is home, and the poor guy is just dying. I'm considering sending to his mom's tonight so he doesn't get hurt at work from lack of sleep.

So if your 3 y.o. was getting up in the middle of the night, calm, happy, but not going back to sleep for hours what would you assume is going on?

For some background: Dh has been walking her back to sleep, sometimes in the ergo. I've urged him to start cuddling with her, at least when she gets drowsy, but he hasn't wanted to. If I go in to help him she will twist and tantrum and not let me near.
If I go in first I will bring her back to bed with me after a quick walk around the house and she generally falls asleep very quickly, but not always. If it takes too long I get DH up to help.
Sometimes if DH is gone she will check all the rooms to make sure he really isn't home before accepting my presence.

February 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"If your 3 y.o. was getting up in the middle of the night, calm, happy, but not going back to sleep for hours what would you assume is going on?"

Depends how long it went on for. Kids go through cognitive growth spurts and during that time they sleep less and I see my kids "self entertain" in the middle of the night a lot during that time. I just keep the house dark and quiet and stay out of it unless they start crying. If they start crying, I will go be there for them, but I don't "entertain" or talk to them or make it play time.

When else does your daughter get to spend time/walk with your DH? IF that is the only time, that MIGHT be why she only wants him at night and why she keeps waking to have that time with him. But if she gets that another time of day, it might just be that she knows she will get something more fun (a walk) from him than what she would get from you (cuddles).
TheOnlyPink likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Destiny
It's been going on for a long time. I want to say a year and a half.

I make sure he spends time with her when he's home in the evening, but maybe it's not enough.
I would love for her to self-entertain, but she will not go back to sleep. Sometimes DH will crash on her floor and she'll still be up in the morning. When she was an infant I would go by her schedule and she would stay up until 3AM or later on a regular basis. I had to put a stop to that when I got pregnant with Eli.
Occasionally she will slide into bed next to me and tuck herself in and eventually fall asleep if she's snuggled up to me, but this rarely happens

February 26th, 2013, 03:04 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So at this point, it's more of a habit, I would say. I would be there for her, but make sure the middle of the night isn't a time for fun or entertainment. I wouldn't walk her around anymore. I'd have her stay in bed, keep the room dark, don't talk, but by all means give her comforting touch (rubbing her back, playing with her hair, etc) if she will allow it.
February 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I was going to say the same thing...at this point it sounds like a habit to me. Lost gave great advice!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

February 26th, 2013, 04:09 PM
miamor
my son was doing this to hang out with my husband and play in the middle of the night.
first, i started keeping him in bed, not turning on brighter light (we have the bathroom light on with the door cracked all night)...and kept telling him it was time to go sleep...he protested quite a few times and it took an hour or more to get him to go back to sleep, but i wouldn't let him leave...then after he understood it from me, my husband started telling him the same thing in the middle the night in bed with us..that stopped it pretty much.
February 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
I have no advice in this department. Im sorry!

Lost did give some great advice though.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search