Thursday Threads

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 10:16 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Can you sew?
Can you knit?
Can you crochet?
How did you learn?
What is your favorite item to make?
Have you made anything for LO? What was it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

February 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you sew?I'm self taught, I can do very basic, simple projects, but am working on learning to follow patterns
Can you knit?Yes again, self taught... I can do anything in the shape of a square or rectangle I did 2 hats last year, but they weren't very nice
Can you crochet?no. people who say it's easier lie to me!
How did you learn?self taught, the occasional YT tutorial
What is your favorite item to make? I knit blankets, and sew gift bags... you can imagine when everyone with a new baby gets from me!
Have you made anything for LO? What was it?I have knit a blanket, but I want to sew a few things before bebe arrives!

February 28th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Can you sew? Yes, nothing fancy though
Can you knit? Yes
Can you crochet? Yes
How did you learn? I was taught to sew and knit as a kid. My friend taught me to crochet in grad school. I am not a pro at any of it though lol.
What is your favorite item to make? I like making art quilts that look like landscapes. That was a big expressive hobby for me for a few years and I have this big list of ideas I never got to realize (yet). I don't knit anymore because it was giving me carpal tunnel.
Have you made anything for LO? What was it? I haven't made anything for the new baby. For M, I crocheted a blanket and newborn hat, crotcheted balls and sewed a fabric butterfly for a mobile, sewed pillow covers and fitted sheets, and even made some cloth diapers at one point but they were crummy and took forever. I should make a little sensory crazy quilt blanket for the new baby or something like that... maybe when M starts preschool.

February 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Can you sew? Yes
Can you knit? No, but I wish I could!
Can you crochet? Same as above
How did you learn? I just kinda knew how to sew, and I sewed in JHS.
What is your favorite item to make? I have no idea. I just really patch stuff up. I have made blankets, and pillows. Stuff like that.
Have you made anything for LO? What was it? Blanket. I need to make more.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

February 28th, 2013, 10:31 AM
miamor
Can you sew? only a little.
Can you knit? absolutely! my favorite!
Can you crochet? definitely.
How did you learn? around age 8 or 9, my grandma taught me.
What is your favorite item to make? oh gosh...so many things. i usually have 3-4 things going at one time because i want to make SO MUCH stuff.
Have you made anything for LO? What was it? i knit him a blanket before he was born. i knit him a little cardigan to wear home from the hospital. i was in the process of knitting him pants, but he decided to come 3 weeks early. i've knit him pants, sweaters, hats. stuffed toys...last year for his birthday i made him a robot! lots and lots of things. i have to whip something up for him for this year's birthday!

knitting is my favorite hobby. i'm currently working on a knit quilt.
February 28th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I want to crochet and knit soooo bad! My Mom tried to teach me and I could NOT get it. I have also watched tutorials on you tube, what a fail. Maybe I am not cut out for it? Do you have any tips for me?

February 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
I want to crochet and knit soooo bad! My Mom tried to teach me and I could NOT get it. I have also watched tutorials on you tube, what a fail. Maybe I am not cut out for it? Do you have any tips for me?
My friend who is a great knitter and does it a lot, took classes at a local knitting store. They are pros and know the best way to teach and can help you a lot with projects. I was semi self taught when I was young and learned a technique where I sort of jab the needle in and grab the yarn with it, whereas my friend's technique involves her more wrapping the yarn around her needle... don't know if that makes sense. But with my "technique" I can knit/purl really fast but it hurts my wrists a lot after awhile. Whereas her style is slower but works well for more complex techniques and she doesn't get sore from it the way I do, I think it is more ergonomic. Her way is definitely better. So my point is that it can be way worth it to learn from pros!! When you move, you should look for a yarn store nearby

February 28th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Destiny
Can you sew? sort of, but not really

Can you knit? same as above

Can you crochet? same as above

How did you learn? knitting and crochet was self-taught. Someone taught me when I was very young and I had to relearn as an adult.
A friend of mine gave me sewing classes, but I didn't get to take very many.

What is your favorite item to make? a pillow case. Nice and easy

Have you made anything for LO? What was it? Nope, I was working on crocheting a blanket, but I had too many other things going on.

February 28th, 2013, 11:02 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you sew?
Not great, but enough by hand to 'save' ripped clothing.

Can you knit?
No. I wanted to learn but it's not in my skill/talent set.

Can you crochet?
Only a basic crochet stitch.

How did you learn?
Looking at tutorials online lol

What is your favorite item to make?
baby hats and blankets.

Have you made anything for LO? What was it?
I've made all my kids hats.
March 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM
Can you sew? Yes, I am a professional seamstress

Can you knit? nope, not a lick

Can you crochet? also no

How did you learn? Self taught for the most part

What is your favorite item to make? Currently my favorite items to make are dresses for babies and toddlers. I make pillowcase, jumper style a-lines, and most recently I made some beautiful patchwork batik dresses
Have you made anything for LO? What was it? The list could seriously go on and on but I'll try.... 2 quilts, 2 crate covers, 2 changing pad covers, rocker cushion, floor pillow, small dec. pillow, applique shirts, diaper bag, 2 halloween costumes - charlie brown and little strongman, more applique shirts, 2 rompers from t-shirts, pants, raglan shirts, and three pairs of simple overalls. phew!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search