toddlers and running.

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By miamor
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By miamor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 07:15 AM
miamor
does anyone have a runner?
i know it's a way for kids to show their independence, etc...but carlos tends to run everywhere we go, even the grocery store. it's impossible to get him to stay in the cart anymore..i'm trying to find a way to slow him down or keep him near me. i know he will outgrow this, i just dont know when. and of course he doesn't want to hold my hand if he's running! oh, and the running is everywhere...even if we're walking down the street. he's running down the street. i take him to open fields to run and all that, but he wants to run everywhere even if he's been allowed to run where he can.

any advice on dealing with this phase?

Last edited by miamor; March 4th, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
March 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does he listen to instruction well enough to allow 'safe running' within limits? Ie. "Ok, you can run to the end of this aisle and then run all the way back!"

I know with the children I cared for it was a constant battle of giving them freedom, and keeping them safe, but I always found that they behaved better if they felt like I trusted them. Of course in some situations it's just non negotiable, you must hold my hand, but when allowed, if you had earned that trust, and followed my instructions it was nice for them to be responsible in that way.

Aside from those backpacks, or wrist bungees..which can stir up a whole lot of controversy on their own, I suggest just trying to use distraction. bring books/toys/let him play with something out of your purse that normally isn't played with etc. if shopping, creating constant conversation about what you see, what you need to buy. etc.

March 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a runner. And he almost got hit by a bus in front of a hotel We literally grabbed him and pulled him back as he was stepping off the curb and a bus was pulling in. Very scary.

I like the idea crunchy offered, if you think it will work for your kid. Otherwise, maybe consider one of those baby backpack things. I know they are pretty controversial, but the way I see it is no one things it's wrong to hold a child's hand, which gives even LESS freedom than those backpack things. I never tried one myself, but I would if I ever had another runner, and I've heard that a lot of kids like them. They think it's fun to wear the little backpacks and to have that connection/free range without having to hold their parents hand. But, I can understand if you didn't feel comfortable with that. There's always that controversy that it's like having a dog on a lease, but I really don't see how they see it that way but it's okay to force a child to hold your hand or be strapped into a stroller. It's all the same to me, so it's all about finding the safe option that my CHILD will be happiest with.
crunchywannabe likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 02:04 PM
miamor
we backpack him for things like the zoo because our zoo is pretty much all uphill/downhill and he'll just bail running on the way down...if it's not too busy and he could run better, i wouldn't mind, but not in crowds or dangerous situations.
i'm conflicted on the harness thing. i just dont know how i feel about it.
today when we were out he didn't try to run from me at all, as soon as we were on the sidewalk in front of the house i told him he had to hold my hand and he did (until his hands were full of rocks ) but no running.
i'm starting to realize that most of the running occurs when my husband is around, not when it's just us. at the store if i'm pushing the cart and my husband isn't around, he doesn't try to get out and run around. hm...why is daddy making him go wild? haha
alittlelost likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He can get out of the cart? How? We always buckle M in and she can't get out... then I just carry her to and from the cart corral area. I don't think I would bring her to a store that didn't have buckled carts or where I didn't have her in a stroller.

Personally, I remember being a child free person in my mid 20s, seeing a kid on a leash of some kind and thinking "how disgusting! Like they are a dog and not a person!" And then I became a mom now I think they are A LOT more freedom than a stroller but still provide safety in crowd situations and I no longer bat an eye at anyone using them. M is just a bit of a bolter but not too bad. She loves to run in big open spaces but I have trained at least a bit of fear of cars and roads into her, I still don't really trust her but I can tell that it will get a lot better eventually.

My parents have lots of stories of me running off. If they had kid leashes back then I would probably have had one I got us kicked out of lots of places and they lost me a few times. I think M is not as bad as I was.
alittlelost likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 06:08 AM
miamor
most of the carts except maybe home depot...will NOT fit around his chest to buckle him in. he's not huge, but i'm not sure what's up with these carts. more than half of them are always broken too..broken buckles, etc. i cant NOT bring him to the stores i frequent or i'd never have any food.
March 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you think a cart would work with him buckled in, you could probably buy a shopping cart cover and a "free" (ie, not attached to anything) buckle. Keep the buckle in your purse and use on carts as needed.

Something like this:

KEMP One Piece Spineboard Strap with Plastic Buckle at SwimOutlet.com

Where you have one piece of nylon strap, then each side has a buckle.
March 5th, 2013, 08:10 AM
miamor
i had one of those until my mother in law lost it on one of our trips out. she was in charge of getting it out of the cart and i think she left the buckled part in. i'm going to see if i can just make one because dont need another cart cover thing.
thank you, lost!
alittlelost likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eleanor has started to get antsy in stores. She used to happily sit in the cart or let me wear her while I shopped, but that is no more. She will sit for about 10 minutes, and then she starts asking, "Down! Down! Down!" That will lead to some fussing, yelling, and wiggling around like crazy and it makes me nervous to have her wiggling in the cart like that. Once she is down she doesn't necessarily run, but she does get into everything. So I have been trying to do big grocery shopping with DH or on my own. Smaller trips I can handle keeping my eyes on her, but it is really draining when I have a long list.

Although the other day I took her to Old Navy for a few minutes and they had all these tubs of balls all over the store. So she ran around yelling, "Dump! Dump!" and sending balls rolling everywhere. It was kind of hard to pick them up and keep control of her
March 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I had a runner. And he almost got hit by a bus in front of a hotel We literally grabbed him and pulled him back as he was stepping off the curb and a bus was pulling in. Very scary.
How scary! I am SOOO happy he did not get hit! That would have been awful! Phew!

Drake is a runner too, not all the time. He likes to run in the store too. He will walk then bust out running, then walk, rinse and repeat. It scares me too because he can get up and down curbs and I am always like HOLD HIS HAND OR CARRY HIM!! Because he will see something and be gone!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search