"Off Limits"

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By MamaLemonade

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you handle off limit items in your house?

Growing up, my grandma has TONS of stuff around her house that everyone, including babies, were expected not to touch. All these figurines and dolls and stuff. She has given me some of them as gifts, but we keep them in the attic for now. I know she is a little offended, but I told her we will take them out when I don't have to worry about the kids touching them. I know she doesn't understand this, since she had these items out with babies in the house, but I want my kids to feel like this is a house to be lived in. Yes, there are things they can't touch and we don't have anywhere else to put those things, but I try not to have more things like that than necessary.
March 9th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Destiny
I try to put as much out of reach as possible, but there are always things you can't move, like the stove or television.
I will give an authoritative no, explain myself (the stove can hurt you, or give you owwies) while taking the hand used to touch it and setting the hand on a "yes" (like a toy or book). Preferably I sit down and play with them, but I don't always have the opportunity.

Sometimes when I'm in a rush I will just say no and bring them to the next room, but that usually requires more time later since they don't get it as fully that way.
alittlelost likes this.

March 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard people say, "How can you teach them what no means if you take all the nos away" and you make my point. There will always be "no" items -- things you CAN'T move -- I rather keep the list of "nos" short and easy to remember and save it for the things I can't move then to have half the house be a "no"
March 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
We have a separate room that we keep the " no" items in, & that room is off limits ( it also has a key lock on the door) But I do have a 24 gun fire proof safe, that is hot bolted to my floor and wall for safety reasons & the only place it would fit and properly be secured was my living room. So that is also "no" but that is it ( when my ds was 2 he punched the code in wrong and well i was locked out of it for a month, lol)We keep the things to minimal and organized into one area. It makes things so easy.
alittlelost likes this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search