No No Items

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By MamaLemonade
  • 3 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are there things you won't let your kids have? Food, drink, toys, etc?
March 12th, 2013, 07:33 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Hmm. . .we won't do soda, you see what that does to the paint on a car...gross. I havent drank soda in months (it was my downfall, even though I knew how awful it is for you) I cut out a lot of stuff since I am TTC and I want my body to be a little bit healthier. .
Right now thats really all I can think of quick off the top of my head, i am sure other answers i read, I'll be like Ohhhh yea!

Happily married to the love of my life, mom of two beautiful babies, Gary & Adalyn
March 12th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
They can't have soda. That's the only 'absolute' item I can think of at the moment. Most other things (like candy, treats, etc.) we do in moderation.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am speaking from my idyllic headspace, I'd like to avoid Bebe's exposure to most processed and fast foods, as well as pop, and unnecessary sweets.

I also am pretty strict about what they would listen to and watch (music, radio, and tv/movies) I would like to avoid screens as much as possible until the age of 2, but I think it's safe to say that's a goal and not a rule. Otherwise I think there is a lot of garbage that kids are exposed to through media etc and I'd like to avoid that.

I'm also on the fence about toy guns.... I think I'm at a place where I've decided that I won't be buying any for him, but if he chews his sandwich into the shape of one on his own, then so be it.... DH is an army reservist with 2 tours in Afghanistan under his belt, and carries a gun at his current job, we also have guns in our home, that he'll handle at some point (age appropriately of course) so I have had to make some changes to my attitude on that one. Although it's not something I'm 100% comfortable with, we'll make it work
alittlelost likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Soda, processed sugar (yes, this means no candy except certain special kinds that are sweetened with honey or real fruit).

March 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
At home they are allowed milk, water and some juice (no more then 8 oz) when we are out at a resturant they can have sprite but once it's gone they have to switch to water. We don't allow them to have Brown soda period ( unless its the occasional rootbeer)
But as far as snacks and things my kids naturally choose fruit and veggies over candy, so if they ask for the Rare piece of candy it's usually okay. My dd loves carrots and ranch dip & she will eat that all day if i let her.

As far as other no no items, we haven't really came across any that are a set NO.
alittlelost likes this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

March 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Eh, not really.

I am not big on guns. I don't like them myself and I don't think they will be something we bring into the house.

But it's hard to speculate how that will play out. I prefer to not have games or shows that involve guns either. But, again, I dont know how that will work in the future.

As far as foods, we do everything in moderation. But my kids haven't had a need to have soda. But I wouldn't freak out if someone gave them a sip or anything.
March 12th, 2013, 03:54 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Soda for sure. Chewing gum. Scissors, flamethrowers, molotov cocktails..

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My stomach hurts from laughing!!! Yes.... add those to my list as well! Along with lawn darts.... it's actually illegal to bring lawn darts into Canada...

March 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't think of anything "banned forever" if that is what you mean. Having a Texan dad and lots of relatives in the Great State, she will eventually get some use with the flamethrower, flame "dripper" (thermos o' fire), guns, fireworks, chainsaws, etc. Texans love anything involving fire, big noises, and/or possible serious bodily harm. And she will probably do some manual labor on the ranch at some point which tends to involve trapping/killing feral hogs, cutting down and burning brush and trees, etc.

We don't ban sugar or sweets completely but just don't keep them in the house regularly and so they are more occasional treats. In general I will try to minimize her exposure to TV ads and shows or movies I find questionable but I won't stop her from seeing stuff at a friend's house or something. Since we have Netflix/Amazon streaming instead of regular TV it is pretty easy to control what content we see.
crunchywannabe likes this.

March 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Absolutely no soda unless Daddy sneaks it to Ash when I'm not looking.. which he has done and I'm okay with.. No toy guns after Ash told me "Bam. Mommy, you're dead" when she found a toy gun I forgot we even had. We took it and destroyed it.
I also don't allow permanent markers after she drew an "elephant" on our wall with Daddy's work marker.
No Diego! We watch TV sometimes, but I am sooo tired of Diego and Dora. lol
I don't allow that much sugar, but moderation is okay. No coffee or any other high caffeine drinks, but I do allow warm tea on occasion with honey.
Oh, and no added salt in food. If there is salt in something, fine.. but I will NOT add salt into the kids foods and if I make something from scratch I usually do not add any salt.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
March 15th, 2013, 07:28 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be the odd out one. I've let Nicholas try soda. He thinks its funny and doesnt want it again. I dont believe in totally keeping something from him because he will just want it more. But it will never be something he gets on a consistent basis.

There really arent any big no nos.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 15th, 2013, 10:44 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Not really. We try to keep everything baby friendly so Drake is able to explore as much as he wants. The only thing really that I can think of, is outlets. He loves them! We have the covers in them of course, but whatever is plugged in it WILL come out.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

March 21st, 2013, 11:58 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
When it comes to drink I still don't approve of carbonated beverages. My mother in law gave my oldest daughter one few months back, think it was a mountain dew, I did not like that at all.

Only toys I can think of at the moment that I wouldn't let my girls have are Bratz dolls...I mean seriously?? I bought my daughter a bitty baby from the American Girls web site and she Loves it!!

Last edited by MommyofAngels1985; March 22nd, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
March 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I can't think of anything that is a complete no-no, other than soda. We do everything in moderation, and I limit some things like juice (he's allowed to have one juice box during the day, either with breakfast or lunch. We like the Fruitables because it's such low sugar). As a family we don't eat fast food (unless on a road trip) and we try to cook healthy meals for our family each night, so that's a "norm" for us.

March 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
The boys don't get soda at home. They get it if we eat out, which is like 1-2 times a month. Big Boy loves video games, and while DF and I are avid Call of Duty-ers, BB is not allowed to be in the living room when we play. He gets to play Little Big Planet or How to Tame Your Dragon when he does good in school and completes his chores. We have allowed him to play CoD a couple times, on training mode, but we talked to him about violence and guns, gun safety, war, things like that. It all feels moot because his father just let's him play whatever (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 3) but I try to be as honest with him as possible about why he doesn't get to play those here.

Plus I did make him a facebook, just to talk to his grandma in Chicago, so he is not allowed to chat with strangers or approve strangers' friend requests, or be online unless I'm with him.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search