Potty Training

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2013, 06:37 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When did you/will you potty train? Or will you use toddler-led potty training?
March 16th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure I really know anything about toddler lead potty training, but I have a pretty good idea of what I will and will not be doing!

One of the families I worked for struggled horribly to potty train their oldest boy. They were inconsistant, flip flopping constantly, got upset with him, and at 5 years old he was still wearing a pull up! It became so much more about a battle of wills than about 'training' him.

His youngest sister however was fully trained by 18 months. They just used a lot of naked time and 'scheduled breaks'...

I really think that starting the process before the child is ready will get you nowhere, so that makes me think that toddler lead training would be much closer to wat I plan to do when the time comes.

March 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Toddler-led is waiting for your child to show interest, then letting it be up to them from there (buy them the potty, the undies) they can wear the undies when they want, if they have an accident they clean it up, they are basically "in charge" of their potty training. I can see that working for some kids (even mine!) but usually we do something more "in between", like bringing kids to potty with us when we think they are showing readiness cues and then saying "your turn!" and letting them try but without pushing it.
March 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Destiny
I do something close to toddler-led PT. I think Eliana's ready for us to really instate something more orgnaized, but I'm having a hard time getting my husband on board, so it's been very flip-flop for Ellie, but we've been making progress.

March 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have been doing part-time Elimination Communication with M since she was 5-6 months old. However she has been in a very long phase where she shows very little interest in pottying, we are lucky to get one or two pee catches and never get poop catches anymore. I have been talking to her a lot about how she doesn't have to wear diapers if she uses the potty every time she has to go, and how comfortable underwear are to wear instead, and how you stay cleaner that way, that's how mommy and daddy and nonny do it, etc. She seems to think that's an interesting theory with no practical importance for her own life but she is not even 2 so I'm not pushing it yet. I know at preschool they have a system of pottying and she will see the other kids doing it and that might help a lot. My current plan is just to not buy her any more cloth diapers. When she outgrows her current stash or they wear out (it has been over a year for most of these diapers) she will not get any new ones and we will just start underwear. I believe in some child led potty learning and many toddlers self train, but I am not going to wait around forever for it. I think clear expectations and some structure (visit the potty every 30-60 minutes, special books or songs for potty time) go a long way esp for younger toddlers. I don't believe in praise/rewards/bribes or punishment for potty learning though, I hope I won't have to do stickers or candy, that would be a last resort. I want it to just be something she will learn is better for her own comfort and does for herself, not to please me or earn rewards. We also have wood floors so I can do plenty of naked butt time in the beginning if needed

March 16th, 2013, 11:35 PM
We use EC in this household. I believe that eliminating should be a part of the daily rhythm just like eating. I started pottying DD2 at 7 weeks. Right now she does pretty OK with it. I can keep her dry when at home even though a lot of it is me directing her to the potty. I still keep a diaper on her when we're out and when she knows she has a diaper she'll piss it without slightest effort to let me know. I'll be happy if we can retire the diapers shortly after her second birthday which is in May.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
March 17th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I let both of my boys take the lead with potty training. My oldest took foreverrrr, mostly because he did not want to poop in the potty. I finally told him he could poop in his pull-ups if he was the one cleaning himself up, and he hated that, so he started pooping in the potty. Little Boy was somewhat easier.. he showed interest and then he stopped being interested. So one day I put him in some underpants and told him that if he peed in them, then he couldn't wear them. He loves being like his brother, so that was a pretty big hit.

I love reading about EC but am not sure I could put it into use.. I'll have to keep studying up and see how I feel once Future Baby is on the way.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 17th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

Last edited by Social Halfwit; March 17th, 2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: grr double post again!!!
March 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I tried EC with my first. I think it's such a considerate thing to do, but it didn't work out for us. I hear EC baby's potty learn younger, but most EC babies I know are 2 and still not potty learned, so I don't know. I feel like with my kids' personalities it would have been more like me getting trained, which would have left them relying on me longer to take care of their potty needs instead of them being in charge of it. That said, I know other kids are different and so I bet it works great for some kids. I admire the mamas who do EC and keep up with it! I think it's amazing.
March 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I tried EC with my first. I think it's such a considerate thing to do, but it didn't work out for us. I hear EC baby's potty learn younger, but most EC babies I know are 2 and still not potty learned, so I don't know. I feel like with my kids' personalities it would have been more like me getting trained, which would have left them relying on me longer to take care of their potty needs instead of them being in charge of it. That said, I know other kids are different and so I bet it works great for some kids. I admire the mamas who do EC and keep up with it! I think it's amazing.
Well the one I ECd from 6 months had weeks of no catches at some point and potty learned by 18 months. The one I ECd from 7 weeks and almost always had some catches every day is still some ways away from potty learning, go figure .

The main benefit I think with both girls that I never had to introduce the potty or what it was for. We never read books or watched movies and with my first there were never potty bribes. Pottying has been a part of their lives for as long as they can remember. I have heard that some EC kiddos do go on a potty strike, we never had that thankfully.

A friend of mine also ECd her boy and I think that right now he refuses to sit on the potty. She did on the other hand have months and months of not needing to clean a poopy diaper because little guy figured it was much nicer to poop the potty than a diaper. I think that if the mom has the energy and patience to do it that there are plenty of benefits, whether it leads to early potty learning or not.

And btw, my daughter who potty learned at 18 months didnt start speaking until past 2 yrs. We used baby signing so she'd just sign me when she needed to. Made it bit complex when she was just pointing out toilets to me (something she had an amazing talent for).

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
March 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started part time EC when Eleanor was about 5 months old. For the first 3-4 months, we pretty much never missed a poop- it was so great! Then she started going through a phase where she wasn't interested in pooping on the potty, which was fine by me. I usually try her on the potty first thing in the morning, after nap, and anytime she says she is pooping or asks to use the potty. We have a little potty chair, and she likes to sit on it and read books, and we have a potty seat for the toilet- that one is an Elmo seat and she loves to take it from its hook and put it on the potty then sit on it and point out all the characters. Generally potty time is pretty enjoyable for her, whether she goes or not.

She does frequently pee as soon as her diaper comes off and she wiggles away. She will stop, point to it, and say "pee pee." Usually she helps clean it up, and I tell her that next time she has to go pee pee she can tell mommy and sit on her Elmo seat to go in the potty. She also says "poop" pretty much whenever she is pooping, but sometimes she is reluctant to go to the potty and that is fine. We catch some poops and some pees pretty much every day. And she likes flushing and saying "bye bye" to the poop or pee.

I am thinking that when she is 18 months or 2 years (either a few months before or a few months after the new baby), I may try doing a few naked days with frequent potty breaks and see if we can make some progress on PLing. I may also consider introducing her to the concept of underwear and see if some Minnie or Elmo panties would be a motivation for her. I am not super invested in whether it works or not, so it would just be a trial. If it works, great, a lot less work for us. If it doesn't, no big deal, just a few days wasted.

I like that from the EC she is completely comfortable with all things potty and that she is very aware of pooping and peeing. I also love that there are some poops I don't have to clean out of a cloth diaper. Whether or not she PLs early isn't a big deal.
March 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM
That's interesting that is your main benefit, since we didn't EC and still never had to introduce what the potty was for LOL My kids could tell from coming to the bathroom with me And we don't do potty bribes, either. I feel like the reward should be a dry butt and that bribing, even though it's positive, is a bit of a pressure in itself.

What were some of the other benefits for you? To me, it just sounds stressful, and I suppose if it is stressful for ME then it's probably not a good idea for ME to do it That said, I want to try something different this time. Not quite EC, but just putting them on a potty at a young age as part of their daily routine, like sitting on the potty after they wake up from sleep or a nap. Just to kind of get them used to the idea from a young age that sitting on a potty is just something you do and that everyone does it.

I couldn't do full on EC, but that is just because I tried it in the past and saw no benefits and it stressed me out. I take it to mean it just wasn't right for us. Other people tried it, aren't stressed by it at all (or think it's fun!), and have great benefits from it. I think they should do that.

My ex-mother-in-law with her daughter did something that had her baby potty learned by 1 year old, amazingly, but I forget what it was. I remember thinking it sounded a lot like EC, but it wasn't EC. She's from out of country and this method is apparently popular there because they can't afford diapers. Whatever it was, it definitely worked for her even though it didn't sound right for us. Good thing people have options though. Imagine having to do something that wasn't working?
March 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We're letting Claire take the lead. I just don't see the point of forcing if she's not ready. We have had the potty seat since she turned 1, and she knows exactly what it is for. When I potty, she'll go with me and want to do it, too. She has pooped on the potty as well, but not very often. I ask her frequently throughout the day if she needs to go, and if she says yes, we go. If she says no I drop it. She has underwear in her dresser and she'll pull them out sometimes and tell me that when she uses the potty, THEN she can wear her pretty underwear.
alittlelost likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 18th, 2013, 05:52 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Yea we will wait til gary seems to understand better i feel like he has no idea yet...although hes good when i ask if he wants his diaper changed he lays down whereever he is its kinda funny LOL
alittlelost and IronMamma like this.

March 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Aw Sarah, that's hilarious!

We plan to let Drake take the lead, but I am curious to see how he reacts to the potty. I told DH that I wanted to set him on the potty before bath tonight just to see his reaction. We will not be using the "fake" pottys. I think those are gross.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

March 21st, 2013, 07:55 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Aw Sarah, that's hilarious!

We plan to let Drake take the lead, but I am curious to see how he reacts to the potty. I told DH that I wanted to set him on the potty before bath tonight just to see his reaction. We will not be using the "fake" pottys. I think those are gross.
Big Gary let gary stand on the toilet seat with his diaper off before his bath the other night and was saying you want to pee like daddy and he said he kept stomping his feet saying yea yea yea (obviously he has NO clue what that means) but its still funny. We wont use the kid seats either, we have a reallllly cute step stool for our regular toilet.

March 21st, 2013, 11:49 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
We introduced the potty to her at 18 months. We didn't start the training process but kept it in her room and she played with it because it talked and played music. At 2 years old we started the process and after a week she sat down and peed, and a day after that she peed and pooped in it. We use praise and m&m's for her reward and she now tells us she has to go potty (half the time I think she just wants to candy) but she says "pie" instread of "potty" . But she has loved sitting on the potty from the begining, she wil sit longer if you give her a book or magazine to look at haha.

Team Pink!

March 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
We are letting Tommy take the lead, he just recently showed interest. He is not doing it consistently and he knows what the potty is for, he is just not ready to do it all the time. I'm hoping he is done by 3 but I will not push it.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
March 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far we have been following Juliana's lead and not pushing, but she starts preschool Sept. 9 and she is supposed to be fully potty trained and independent in the potty. That's still 5.5 months away but I'm still scared. She does great when we're at home and is not wearing a diaper. If she has a diaper on she'll pee or poop in it and tell me that she's pooping as she's doing it. Outside of the house, we've only tried underwear a few times and it did not go well 2/3 of them, so I'm waiting a while. I just hope she naturally progresses soon. I don't want to use rewards either, but I guess it wouldn't kill her to get a few rewards if it helped the process. I could use some tips to get her more interested.

March 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM
What is her reaction when she wets herself? I've noticed that DD may have an accident or two and seem nonchalant about it but the next time she needs to go she'll actually say something in advance. Have you been telling Juliana about preschool and how big girls who go to preschool have to go to potty by themselves? If you introduce it like an amazing big girl thing she might feel more motivated.

I always feel like I'm the black sheep in these AP potty threads because I do a lot of mommy directed pottying. No forcing though, just encouraging.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search