Values

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By Social Halfwit

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What things do you hope to teach your children?
What values matter most to you?
Is there anything one value that you think the rest of your values stem from?
March 17th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Destiny
What things do you hope to teach your children? love, nonviolence, empathy

What values matter most to you? Love is most important to me, but I'm definitely a work in progress

Is there anything one value that you think the rest of your values stem from? Love, I think. If you act on it, everything else gets fulfilled by default, unless you have a distorted view of love (I'm only hitting you because I love you etc.)
alittlelost likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar omg shoes
What things do you hope to teach your children? The things I hope to teach most are respect and understanding.
What values matter most to you? Respect for other people and their values.
Is there anything one value that you think the rest of your values stem from? I think respect is really the big one for me. When you respect someone, you don't hurt them or say bad things about them. I talk to my boys everyday about how people are allowed to be different, that's the beauty of being human is that we are all different but we are all amazing in our own way. My six year old understands that sometimes people have families that look different than ours, or skin that looks different than his, or a brain that works differently. I teach him about different, not less or worse, and that it's important to respect everyone's differences without looking down on them for it.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi and Brigham.
Excited for Elliott Tesla in June 2014!

March 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM

Last edited by Social Halfwit; March 17th, 2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: double post
March 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours is also Respect, because respect covers so much
--respect for self
--respect for others
--respect for your surroundings

Almost all of our rules are based on that value. Breathing for Two, I think, though, pointed out the bigger motivator behind it. Love. If you love yourself, you respect yourself. If you love others, you respect them. If you love your surroundings, you respect them.

Love and respect I think often go hand in hand (and I think this probes why fear is not true respect. Do you respect yourself because you fear yourself or respect your surroundings because you fear them? No. Love is greater motivator for creating true, sincere respect.
March 17th, 2013, 08:13 AM
^^That is the lesson I'm trying to teach my fiance, because of the way he was raised he believes respect = fear, and I do not want respect to be that for my children. It used to be how I felt as well, but over the last few years, as I've learned more about gender equality and racial privilege, I've found that I am respecting myself and the people around me from a place of love instead of fear, and it is SOO freeing in many ways!
alittlelost likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search