Cleaning Products

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 06:04 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your go-to cleaning products? Do you try to use natural or organic?
March 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would like to try some more natural cleaning and organic cleaning products, but I haven't yet.

Our favorite everything cleaner is Windex Vinegar. For the bathroom Lysol for toliet and scrub free for tub, for kitchen/high chair lysol wipes w/scrubbers for dishes cascade complete platinum packs and dawn power clean dish soap, pine sol and my O Cedar mop/broom/dust mop, laundry is Tide and Bounce sheet free and clear!

March 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We try to use natural/organic as much as possible. I like good ol' water/vinegar for a lot of things; Seventh Generation and Honest make great products, too.

I do have a bottle of Clorox Clean-up, though, for toilets.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Babyganics all pupose cleaner is my favorite!!! Toys r us often sells it b1g1

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I want to try the honest products. I can't stand the smell of vinegar.
March 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I use vinegar, baking soda, borax, washing soda, etc. I have some bleach just in case, but I use it super rarely. I used to hate the vinegar smell, now it smells like clean to me and I can't stand the smell of chemical cleaners. I also made some cleaner by filling a jar with vinegar, orange peels, and a couple lemon peels.. it smells really good.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I generally just get whatever looks good at the natural food store where I do most of my shopping. I have several 7th generation products and some random brands. I found a really effective mildew remover that is enzyme based, works just as well as bleach, amazingly enough. This house breeds mildew like crazy I also really like Bon Ami powder (like Barkeepers Friend) for cleaning the kitchen sink and tough counter stains. My all time favorite cleaner is Bac-Out enzyme spray for pee and poop. That stuff is pure magic. We use a little spray on poopy cloth diapers after rinsing them off, and don't have a hint of odor from the open-top wet bag. It is great on carpets and upholstery too. Oh and oxygen bleach powder... MAGIC. Make a concentrated solution and it gets basically all dirt and food stains out of anything, odorless and quite nontoxic once it has been exposed to air for awhile and the H2O2 has done its thing.

I have a vinegar solution in a spray bottle too, and I like to sanitize the cutting board island occasionally by wiping it down with straight vinegar, but I am too lazy to make my own very often, and like the performance of store bought cleaners. The natural ones don't tend to give me a headache the way mainstream brands do. I can't handle Comet and Lysol and cleaners like that. I do have bleach on hand and use it for diapers when needed, and some Clorox wipes for emergencies like when M had the most disgusting vomit ever all over her carseat and Bac-out was not touching the gross smell, Clorox wipes to the rescue!! Haha.

March 18th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use just water!

I use Norwex cloths, that disinfect with silver woven into the fabric. I also use their line of toilet cleaner, oven cleaner etc...I use all kinds of their products for over 3 years now and have been very very happy. The only product I really didn't like was the crystal deodorant from their beauty/skin care line.
alittlelost likes this.

March 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a Master's degree in microbiology and immunology, and cleaning is a pet peeve of mine I believe that we keep our homes and our lives too sterile. Most of the microorganisms we encounter on a daily basis are not harmful and are actually helpful- either we need them to function well (like the bacteria in our guts) or they help train our immune system to respond appropriately not only to harmful germs, but also to our own cells. There is a great theory that autoimmune disorders are so prevalent in developed countries because our immune systems become overactive and dysfunctional in the absence of exposure to a variety of microorganisms. Okay, cleanliness rant over

So, here we usually just clean with soap (plain Dawn dish soap) or with vinegar and water. I do use regular cleaners on the toilet, and do sometimes use bleach in the laundry or on something that is particularly gross (like the trash cans).
March 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
We are pretty non-germaphobes here ourselves. I never bought into that hand sanitizer craze lol
March 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aaaah, don't get me started on hand sanitizer!
March 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Destiny
I usually use soap and water. If I'm tackling something major I'll use a water/vinegar/lemon juice mix.

We have some kind of cheap nasty cleaner for the toilet too, but our upstairs one is weird and gets horrendous fast. I feel okay about it since no one touches the inside.

March 20th, 2013, 12:51 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Whatever is cheapest

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 20th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
I have a Master's degree in microbiology and immunology, and cleaning is a pet peeve of mine I believe that we keep our homes and our lives too sterile. Most of the microorganisms we encounter on a daily basis are not harmful and are actually helpful- either we need them to function well (like the bacteria in our guts) or they help train our immune system to respond appropriately not only to harmful germs, but also to our own cells. There is a great theory that autoimmune disorders are so prevalent in developed countries because our immune systems become overactive and dysfunctional in the absence of exposure to a variety of microorganisms. Okay, cleanliness rant over

So, here we usually just clean with soap (plain Dawn dish soap) or with vinegar and water. I do use regular cleaners on the toilet, and do sometimes use bleach in the laundry or on something that is particularly gross (like the trash cans).
hehe I disinfect nothing in my home, never have and we generally have great immunity. I think I got the influenza this year, first time in 5 years (had it when pregnant, didnt forget that easily ).

I think hand sanitizers definatly have their place. I very much like them all over my work place, I'm a nurse and work in a geriatric hospital. In my home or in my pocket not so much. I did buy a small bottle during the swine flu but only ever used it couple of times.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
March 20th, 2013, 03:40 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
I love Clorox wipes. I use them all the time. I do not really use all natural cleaning products and that is because I am just so used to using the same thing for so long.

I also cannot stand hand sanitizer. For one they hurt my hands and for two, they make my hands way to dry.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

March 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
I also cannot stand hand sanitizer...they make my hands way to dry.
Ugh, yes! When the babies were in the NICU we had to use that stuff all the time...even when I held one baby and then wanted to hold the other one, I had to sanitize. After 4 weeks my hands were so dry they were cracking and bleeding...it was awful!!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 20th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When my mom had cancer there was a giant bottle of hand sanitizer at the front door for visitors at my parent's house... DH was always so funny about it, he'd walk in, take off his shoes look at the giant bottle of sanitizer and walk straight to the bathroom to wash his hands with soap instead.

I think whenever possible washing with soap and water is significantly better, however I'll use hand sanitizer in some situations, and not worry too much if I'm out somewhere and someone requests that I do use it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search