Baby Signing

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KatyG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 09:02 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you sign with your baby?
If so, have you seen any benefits?

We signed with all of our kids and in their case, I think it helped develop their language faster. They seem to be "visual" so having the visual to go with the word had them using the words sooner.
March 19th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I didn't sign with the boys from an early age, but I do sign with them now and they enjoy it. Brigham went with me to a Deaf event this year and enjoyed telling people his age and asking "please" for candy. I'm a huuuge fan of signing and Deaf culture so I plan to continue!

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Destiny
We do a small amount of signing. It can be great for a few things.
They can communicate on words they can't say or pronounce (Eli's milk sign is probably the most used, so he can get at my boobs without trying to undress me in public).

I can learn their pronunciation of a word when they sign concurrently (for instance, my daughter pronounces "cat" "eye" but since she signs it while she says it, I'm not left in the dark)

If they can communicate they don't need to tantrum when I don't understand or misunderstand.

I will be teaching all of my kids some sign language.

March 19th, 2013, 10:51 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started teaching her a few signs when she was 5 or 6 months... We started with milk, dog, more, and all done. She could understand them pretty soon after we started, and started using them on her own when she was maybe 9 months. She started talking up a storm soon after that, so we didn't really teach her any more signs. She still uses the sign for more all the time. She also sort of makes up her own hand signs for some things.... whenever she says nice, she rubs her hand on her belly, and she has hand signals to indicate a ton of songs... rolling her hands for Wheels on the Bus, putting her hands together and raising them up for Itsy Bitsy Spider, opening and closing her hands for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

I liked that signing made communication a little easier, and we will do some signing with our next baby, too.

Last edited by ohnicole; March 19th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
March 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
The nanny thought the twins to sign. I think it's so cute, they can sign milk, more, eat, please, thank you, mommy, change, apple, and daddy
IronMamma likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I did baby signing with both girl. My older didnt start to really speak until past 2 years so it was good that we could sign with her. We didnt have a huge vocabulary, just enough to get the basics. My younger was much faster in learning spoken language so we didnt sign as much.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
March 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Drake signs for "more". Its adorable! He does it when he is ready for his bottle, when he wants more mac and cheese. Its sooo cute! I do not plan to really get into it, but little things are cute.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search