Yelling

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you yell?
Are you trying to yell less?
What are some things you find yourself yelling about?
What are some things that help you not to yell?

I do yell. I absolutely HATE yelling and very rarely am I yelling because I'm angry. I am trying to yell less, but often I have to yell because the kids are fighting and in my rush to end the fight, I have to yell over their yelling. Which, to be honest, it useless, because they are able to yell louder than me and can't hear me and I'm sure I am only adding to the confusion. *sigh* I really need to work on this. It makes me feel like an out of control parent when it happens.
March 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I rarely yell. I raise my voice a bit but not to the point of yelling. I use my angry/stern voice and that usually does the trick. I remember one time I actually yelled and it really startled DD.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
March 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm not really a yeller unless it is a safety issue. If I see that there's a threat of someone getting hurt I'll yell to get their attention, but I try not to even do that.

Well...then there's football. I tend to yell when I'm watching football, but I'm working on that
ashj_1218 likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

March 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I yell It's 99% of the time when I am overwhelmed. Fighting doesn't bother me (mine are still much younger though, it might when they get older and louder). But I tend to yell if I HAVE to get something done and there are six other demands coming in at once. My brain like short-circuits and it's more about me letting off steam than "needing" to yell to get their attention or something.

I have found a huge trigger time for me is walking in the door after morning errands/activities. The motions of getting kids out of he car, into the house, items in, shoes off, lunches started, and it's generally accompanied by Kieran not wanting down and Liam demanding a specific item to be found or that he wants XYZ for lunch...it really sends me over the edge. I have been trying to work on lessening stress during that time. But it's a big time of day for yelling.

My husband also is a yeller when he is overwhelmed, but he has such a shorter fuse than I do. We are trying to work on it together.
March 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Destiny
I also yell when I'm overwhelmed. I hate to do it, and I'm working on it.

Naptime is my trigger time. By the time the kids are ready to go to sleep I need a break just as badly.
If I eat well, if I sleep well the previous night, things go well and I don't get too overwhelmed. It feels like an impossible combination sometimes, but on the days I do well I really enjoy parenting.

March 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you yell? Yes... Are you trying to yell less? Yes.
What are some things you find yourself yelling about? Safety issues, property damage issues, mainly. I will also sometimes bang my hand hard on the wall or table and that tends to get her attention a little more but is basically the same as yelling, in terms of me expressing anger.
What are some things that help you not to yell? Being well rested, relaxed, fed, and zen M does not even react to yelling except to imitate me (feels like mocking me!) so I know it is totally counterproductive, especially with her personality. I go easy on myself about it and don't feel guilt ridden because I know the toddler years are challenging, and over time I am growing more habituated to her boundary testing and developing better/gentler parenting habits, but I do aim to prevent yelling and rein myself in asap.

March 22nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The danger issues are always scary. That is why I end up yelling when my kids are fighting. I see one kid hitting another and the other screaming, and reactively I start screaming for the hitting child to stop (of course as I am hurrying over to stop it myself). It's pointless, because the child being hit is screaming so neither of them can hear me anyway. but it gets me SO upset. I hate seeing my kids get hurt, even if it's one of the other kids hurting them. Unfortunately, our experience has been that physical outlash is more common with special needs children. We are working really hard to eliminate those behaviors AND we've made a ton of success, but it still happens sometimes
March 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I yell as well. Usually when someone is in danger or they are fighting over something. I have no idea how a 9 yr old and 2 yr old can actually fight over anything, I thought having kids that far apart would eliminate fighting but nope! I try not to yell, but it happens.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
March 23rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Do you yell? Not really I mean I yell when the dogs get outta control but not at Gary. But then again, Gary is still so young and he really doesn't do anything that warrants yelling ya know? If he touches the stove or climbs on the coffee to stand sometimes i am like NOOO! But thats bc I am scared lol

Are you trying to yell less? I have gotten better about the dogs and when Gary does something scary.

What are some things you find yourself yelling about? We arent yellers in our house. We dont even really argue. So really the only things is when the dogs get playing and get too rough near Gary or something like that.

What are some things that help you not to yell? . . .

March 25th, 2013, 09:29 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
]Do you yell? I yell at the dogs quite a bit, and I sometimes snap at DH, but I really don't yell at Eleanor very often.

Are you trying to yell less? I should try to yell at the dogs less (mostly so I don't teach Eleanor to yell at them), but that would involve a lot of time spent on training them and honestly I'm not getting around to it yet. I do try to avoid yelling at DH and Eleanor.

What are some things you find yourself yelling about? I yell if the dogs are barking or getting in our faces because they want something or if they are trying to steal Eleanor's food. I sometimes snap at DH when I am feeling like he isn't helping or he isn't listening. Usually I only yell at Eleanor when I am having a SUPER exhausted overwhelmed day, but on those rare days I may snap at her over just about anything. She really doesn't seem to even notice, though.

What are some things that help you not to yell? If I have a bad day, then I try really hard to take a break and catch up on some sleep, and that usually leads to a better day the next day.
March 26th, 2013, 12:23 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Me and DH yell sometimes, and its not at Drake its at each other when we are play fighting, and we seriously need to stop. I keep telling Dave that when Drake is older he is going to think we are serious. It's just our personality. I would like to think I would never yell at Drake, I know I wont when I am mad, maybe if he like runs into the parking lot or something. Mostly for danger. Not for everyday correction. I was yelled at A LOT when I was little and that is not something I will do with Drake.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search