Birth Stories

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 07:03 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to hear the birth stories of some AP mamas as well as what your first few hours with baby were like
March 28th, 2013, 01:41 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
If I could combine Liam's birth experience and Kierans "immediately after birth" experience....I would have my ideal birth/after birth situation

Liam's was a long, slow labor that started with my bloody show and progressed really slowly for the next 55 hours. I did not think I was in labor, since the pain was more annoying than painful. After not sleeping for more than 48 hours, I finally gave in to my husbands pleas to go to the hospital and see what was going on. A very uncomfortable hour-long ride later, I was informed I was 8cm with budging waters. I walked around for about 2 hours after that, got on the hospital bed and pushed him out in 30 minutes (hardest part, by far) without so much as an IV or tylonel. They immediately laid him on my chest, delayed clamping, and we visited. But, after about 10 minutes, we noticed he was making whistling noises and had chest retractions while he was trying to breathe. His oxygen stats were very low and he was taken to NICU after being with us for 15 minutes. I immediately got up and got cleaned up (which legitimately took an hour with my slower movements and needing to be gentle) and went too visit him. But the way NICU was set up was that if they were working on a baby at the time, any non-crucial people were not permitted until the baby was stable. And we were unable to see him for another hour after that (he was stable, the second baby in the NICU was not). I got to talk to him for a while that evening and then I came back about every hour overnight (I would have literally sat next to him if the had let me) to nurse and visit. He was released the following afternoon, once his temp, vitals, and blood sugar were stable. He was born at 36+6, so it wasn't a huge shock he needed some additional support.

My second, I went into his birth with some seriously high hopes for a similar experience as Liam. But baby had ENTIRELY different plans. For one, my pregnancy was already higher risk because we discovered a blood clotting condition after several losses. So I was on a medication to prevent clotting and thus was monitored closer. At 37 weeks, Kieran decided that head-down was a crappy position and decided to try a breech position. I freaked out. Not only was I facing a c-section, but if my water broke and he was still breech, I might not even be awake during the section depending on my last dose of anticoagulants. I went to the chiro, scheduled an acupuncturist, did tons of spinning babies techniques....for two days...then my water broke all over my bed. Given his last known position was breech, we made the hour trek to the hospital immediately. We then discovered that not only had he turned back vertex...but had significant meconium staining and a nuchal cord. Onward with being admitted and monitoring (you counting the interventions...). Five hours later I was having decent contractions about two minutes apart, making no progress whatsoever. Doc gave me two options (he was a total tool, BTW). Either do pitocin and hope it moves things along or labor on my own for another 10 hours and then have a c-section if I didn't progress to 10. I chose pitocin. Within an hour I was screaming and begging for any kind of pain relief. My doula, bless her, suggested a half-dose of Nubain to take the edge off. I honestly didn't care at all what was done at that point. I took the meds and even though it didn't help (and possibly hurt) the pain levels, it made time speed up and made me feel less panicky about coming contractions. After about 20 minutes, it was gone entirely and I wanted an epi.. Five minutes later, I was screaming to push. In 11 minutes I had my Kieran. They had to cut the cord fast because of the bleeding and placenta (no one fully explained that to me), but they put him on my chest and NO ONE touched him for more than 2 hours. We talked, nursed, did skin-to-skin. They asked if they could do the newborn exam and did it with him on my bed. He did not leave my side until the PKU test about 30 minutes before we checked out of the hospital. It was fabulous. Just me and my baby in a bubble!

So...I know the pitfalls of my last birth...but was still fairly in the drivers seat. I just hope the whole thing goes a bit different this time around. I can honestly say that if pitocin is part of the picture, I will not be having a NCB. Bring on the epi. I know my limits and that is one experience I don't want to relive. However, I am hoping I can labor at home (as I would have done with Kieran, had I known he was head down) for most of the labor and then go in to pop her out. We shall see. I learned my lesson last time and plan to go with the flow this time. All my plans flew out the window last time, so I won't be as devoted to any specific ideas this time. I do desire delayed cord clamping, skin-to-skin immediately and for as long as medically possible, and to be given my placenta for encapsulation. Otherwise....bring on the unknown

Last edited by ashj_1218; March 28th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
March 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Eleanor I had to be induced because of gestational hypertension. After a lot of talks with my doctor, and because I was pretty unfavorable for induction and knew I was going to be on a clock to a C-section because of my hypertension, I decided to go with Cytotec prior to pitocin. From the start, I was on an IV and monitored continuously, so I knew I would be restricted to the area around the bed (plus I knew if my blood pressure was high, I would end up on magnesium and stuck in bed). We had taken Bradley classes and were really hoping for a natural childbirth (mostly to avoid all the complications and further interventions that often go with epidural).

After the first dose of cytotec, I was having regular contractions, but they felt like my normal Braxton Hicks and I hadn't started dilating at all. After the second dose of cytotec, I started feeling crampy. My blood pressure was up, so they kept me in bed to give me some IV BP meds. During that time, I felt an internal pop and a small trickle, but they said they would just wait to check me, and I was okay with that. I was worried that my water had broken and I wasn't going to progress, so waiting to start the clock was fine with me. After that, the crampy feeling (which were my contractions, even though they weren't really showing up on the monitor) became almost constant, with less than 30 seconds between. I hung out on the birthing ball for a while. Somewhere between 1 and 2 hours after the cytotec, my water really broke with a gush. They checked me soon after, and I was at 3 cm.

My BP was still up, so I was stuck in bed, and they started magnesium. The rest of my labor was pretty intense. No breaks between contractions, and lying down was really uncomfortable. I was eventually stuck on one side in bed because the monitor wasn't working right. And they kept telling me I was in early labor, that it was always this intense, that my contractions weren't that strong, and on and on. But about 1.5 hours after my water broke, they checked me again to start an internal monitor, and I was complete and ready to push. So they were wrong

As soon as I realized I was ready to push, it was a total relief. We waited a bit for my doctor to arrive, then I pushed a few times, with really no pain, and Eleanor was born. So really for me, labor was really intense and painful, but short (only 4.5 hours total and about 1.5 hours from 3 to 10 cm, and I have a feeling I may have been complete before that), and pushing was almost fun for me because the intensity was finally over. I did make it through without pain meds, and my physical recovery was pretty great... the nurses for the few days I was there were calling me 'the one who doesn't want ibuprofen'

We had a great experience after birth, Eleanor was immediately put on my chest, and stayed there for hours, with only a minute away from me while she got weighed right in the room. It was pretty perfect, except for me being pretty out of it from the magnesium, which I had to stay on for 24 hours.
March 28th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
With Bodhi, labor was 10 hours. I had an epidural, didn't feel a thing, got to hold him immediately. It was lovely, but I definitely felt like I had no control. The nurses threatened to feed him while I was asleep (he and I both slept for 11 hours straight after his was born) until my mom yelled at them and told them he would eat when he was hungry. They wouldn't let me have him in my bed to sleep. The days after were okay, but I didn't really enjoy them like I wanted to.

When I had Brigham, we took a birthing class and I had a birthing plan. I went to the hospital on December 29th with contractions, even though I was due January 10th. They admitted me, broke my water, and I powered through the pain as long as I could. I did ask for an epidural, and they gave me a weaker epi so I could still feel pressure and a tiny bit of pain. I helped to catch him, and pull him onto my chest. They let me have him in my bed and on me, skin-to-skin, for the two days I was there. I truly enjoyed the experience with him. My midwife was incredible, the staff was lovely, and they totally respected my decisions.

My labors were relatively easy.. except after I had Brigham, my placenta didn't detach so the actual OB had to come in and fish it out... that was a pretty graphic experience. I was staring while the nurses cleaned Brig up and looked down long enough to see this stranger nearly elbow-deep in there getting my placenta... yeah, didn't look at that one again! LOL

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 29th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
If I could combine Liam's birth experience and Kierans "immediately after birth" experience....I would have my ideal birth/after birth situation

Liam's was a long, slow labor that started with my bloody show and progressed really slowly for the next 55 hours. I did not think I was in labor, since the pain was more annoying than painful. After not sleeping for more than 48 hours, I finally gave in to my husbands pleas to go to the hospital and see what was going on. A very uncomfortable hour-long ride later, I was informed I was 8cm with budging waters. I walked around for about 2 hours after that, got on the hospital bed and pushed him out in 30 minutes (hardest part, by far) without so much as an IV or tylonel. They immediately laid him on my chest, delayed clamping, and we visited. But, after about 10 minutes, we noticed he was making whistling noises and had chest retractions while he was trying to breathe. His oxygen stats were very low and he was taken to NICU after being with us for 15 minutes. I immediately got up and got cleaned up (which legitimately took an hour with my slower movements and needing to be gentle) and went too visit him. But the way NICU was set up was that if they were working on a baby at the time, any non-crucial people were not permitted until the baby was stable. And we were unable to see him for another hour after that (he was stable, the second baby in the NICU was not). I got to talk to him for a while that evening and then I came back about every hour overnight (I would have literally sat next to him if the had let me) to nurse and visit. He was released the following afternoon, once his temp, vitals, and blood sugar were stable. He was born at 36+6, so it wasn't a huge shock he needed some additional support.

My second, I went into his birth with some seriously high hopes for a similar experience as Liam. But baby had ENTIRELY different plans. For one, my pregnancy was already higher risk because we discovered a blood clotting condition after several losses. So I was on a medication to prevent clotting and thus was monitored closer. At 37 weeks, Kieran decided that head-down was a crappy position and decided to try a breech position. I freaked out. Not only was I facing a c-section, but if my water broke and he was still breech, I might not even be awake during the section depending on my last dose of anticoagulants. I went to the chiro, scheduled an acupuncturist, did tons of spinning babies techniques....for two days...then my water broke all over my bed. Given his last known position was breech, we made the hour trek to the hospital immediately. We then discovered that not only had he turned back vertex...but had significant meconium staining and a nuchal cord. Onward with being admitted and monitoring (you counting the interventions...). Five hours later I was having decent contractions about two minutes apart, making no progress whatsoever. Doc gave me two options (he was a total tool, BTW). Either do pitocin and hope it moves things along or labor on my own for another 10 hours and then have a c-section if I didn't progress to 10. I chose pitocin. Within an hour I was screaming and begging for any kind of pain relief. My doula, bless her, suggested a half-dose of Nubain to take the edge off. I honestly didn't care at all what was done at that point. I took the meds and even though it didn't help (and possibly hurt) the pain levels, it made time speed up and made me feel less panicky about coming contractions. After about 20 minutes, it was gone entirely and I wanted an epi.. Five minutes later, I was screaming to push. In 11 minutes I had my Kieran. They had to cut the cord fast because of the bleeding and placenta (no one fully explained that to me), but they put him on my chest and NO ONE touched him for more than 2 hours. We talked, nursed, did skin-to-skin. They asked if they could do the newborn exam and did it with him on my bed. He did not leave my side until the PKU test about 30 minutes before we checked out of the hospital. It was fabulous. Just me and my baby in a bubble!

So...I know the pitfalls of my last birth...but was still fairly in the drivers seat. I just hope the whole thing goes a bit different this time around. I can honestly say that if pitocin is part of the picture, I will not be having a NCB. Bring on the epi. I know my limits and that is one experience I don't want to relive. However, I am hoping I can labor at home (as I would have done with Kieran, had I known he was head down) for most of the labor and then go in to pop her out. We shall see. I learned my lesson last time and plan to go with the flow this time. All my plans flew out the window last time, so I won't be as devoted to any specific ideas this time. I do desire delayed cord clamping, skin-to-skin immediately and for as long as medically possible, and to be given my placenta for encapsulation. Otherwise....bring on the unknown
It's amazing how different every pregnancy and birth can be, even for the same mama! Both your stories are beautiful though, even though it stinks you have to go through those struggles along the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
With Eleanor I had to be induced because of gestational hypertension. After a lot of talks with my doctor, and because I was pretty unfavorable for induction and knew I was going to be on a clock to a C-section because of my hypertension, I decided to go with Cytotec prior to pitocin. From the start, I was on an IV and monitored continuously, so I knew I would be restricted to the area around the bed (plus I knew if my blood pressure was high, I would end up on magnesium and stuck in bed). We had taken Bradley classes and were really hoping for a natural childbirth (mostly to avoid all the complications and further interventions that often go with epidural).

After the first dose of cytotec, I was having regular contractions, but they felt like my normal Braxton Hicks and I hadn't started dilating at all. After the second dose of cytotec, I started feeling crampy. My blood pressure was up, so they kept me in bed to give me some IV BP meds. During that time, I felt an internal pop and a small trickle, but they said they would just wait to check me, and I was okay with that. I was worried that my water had broken and I wasn't going to progress, so waiting to start the clock was fine with me. After that, the crampy feeling (which were my contractions, even though they weren't really showing up on the monitor) became almost constant, with less than 30 seconds between. I hung out on the birthing ball for a while. Somewhere between 1 and 2 hours after the cytotec, my water really broke with a gush. They checked me soon after, and I was at 3 cm.

My BP was still up, so I was stuck in bed, and they started magnesium. The rest of my labor was pretty intense. No breaks between contractions, and lying down was really uncomfortable. I was eventually stuck on one side in bed because the monitor wasn't working right. And they kept telling me I was in early labor, that it was always this intense, that my contractions weren't that strong, and on and on. But about 1.5 hours after my water broke, they checked me again to start an internal monitor, and I was complete and ready to push. So they were wrong

As soon as I realized I was ready to push, it was a total relief. We waited a bit for my doctor to arrive, then I pushed a few times, with really no pain, and Eleanor was born. So really for me, labor was really intense and painful, but short (only 4.5 hours total and about 1.5 hours from 3 to 10 cm, and I have a feeling I may have been complete before that), and pushing was almost fun for me because the intensity was finally over. I did make it through without pain meds, and my physical recovery was pretty great... the nurses for the few days I was there were calling me 'the one who doesn't want ibuprofen'

We had a great experience after birth, Eleanor was immediately put on my chest, and stayed there for hours, with only a minute away from me while she got weighed right in the room. It was pretty perfect, except for me being pretty out of it from the magnesium, which I had to stay on for 24 hours.
You are super mom the BP thing sounds like a pain but you handled the induction like a champ! I think cytotec is the way to go if needing an induction! I used it with my first baby (also an induction). I love when doctors/nurses tell you something is "always" a certain way--you'd think they, having seen so many births, would know better! I dilate really fast too so I've been in similar situations.
March 29th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Halfwit View Post
With Bodhi, labor was 10 hours. I had an epidural, didn't feel a thing, got to hold him immediately. It was lovely, but I definitely felt like I had no control. The nurses threatened to feed him while I was asleep (he and I both slept for 11 hours straight after his was born) until my mom yelled at them and told them he would eat when he was hungry. They wouldn't let me have him in my bed to sleep. The days after were okay, but I didn't really enjoy them like I wanted to.

When I had Brigham, we took a birthing class and I had a birthing plan. I went to the hospital on December 29th with contractions, even though I was due January 10th. They admitted me, broke my water, and I powered through the pain as long as I could. I did ask for an epidural, and they gave me a weaker epi so I could still feel pressure and a tiny bit of pain. I helped to catch him, and pull him onto my chest. They let me have him in my bed and on me, skin-to-skin, for the two days I was there. I truly enjoyed the experience with him. My midwife was incredible, the staff was lovely, and they totally respected my decisions.

My labors were relatively easy.. except after I had Brigham, my placenta didn't detach so the actual OB had to come in and fish it out... that was a pretty graphic experience. I was staring while the nurses cleaned Brig up and looked down long enough to see this stranger nearly elbow-deep in there getting my placenta... yeah, didn't look at that one again! LOL
Yikes! One time my placenta didn't fully detach and a piece came out a couple weeks after birth. I would have raised hell over that first hospital experience, too. That must have been tough
March 29th, 2013, 04:30 PM
DS1:
I started dilating at 32 weeks pregnant. I wasn't having contractions for them to stop, so it was entirely just an incompetent cervix. At that point, the risks of a cerclage far outweighed the benefits. so we just had to take it one day at a time. It turned out to be no big deal, but then I got BV, had an allergic reaction to the medicine, and after that cleared up, I ended up with high blood pressure. They monitored it for a while, but once I hit 36 weeks they felt it was best to induce. I was fine until about 7cm, then I was in pain and the nurses were PUSHING the epi on me (seriously weren't going to stop asking me to get one--not even if I wanted one, but if I would please get one because I was scaring other patients during my contractions--until I agreed). And eventually I did agree My birth plan was completely ignored. Further, they took over 30 minutes to get the epi in because they kept messing it up and I had pain shooting down my leg. By time they got the epi in, I was 10cm, so . . . that was a waste. Anyway, I told my husband "The baby is coming." and he said "okay." and just kept sitting there. I was like, "Well, go get the nurse." He said, "Now?" ... "YES NOW!" So finally he gets her, she checks me, says I'm 10cm and to start pushing. I said, "My midwife isn't here though?" ... "Oh, honey, you could be pushing for hours." Me: "Okay...." So I push. Then about 3 seconds into pushing: "Stop pushing!" So I stop. The nurse: "Stop pushing!" Me: "I'm not pushing!" So my midwife rushes in. My midwife says, "Stop pushing!" Me: "I'M NOT PUSHING!" anyway, cord was wrapped around baby's neck three times and my contractions were pushing the baby out so they had to act fast. He was born at 36 weeks and did not need to stay at the hospital or be separated from me at any point.

DD:
I started dilating at 28 weeks. By 32 weeks, I was 4cm with a bulging bag of waters. I wasn't having contractions, just braxton hicks, so there was nothing they could do to stop my dilation. At 35 weeks, my water gave in and broke. I still wasn't having contractions. As soon as I got to the hospital, they gave me pitocin. I argued and argued and argued with them over the IV, and asked for the waiver, but they kept sending someone else to convince me to get one, and eventually I caved. I don't remember a lot in between that and when I got the epi. I didn't plan on an epi, but I was alone at the hospital because we needed to wait for a sitter for my son so my husband could be there with me, so I did end up getting one. All I really remember about my epi experience that time is that my blood pressure crashed (I didn't know at the time that was what happened), my machine started beeping like crazy, and my room went from empty to PACKED in a matter of second. The nurse was yelling at me to not look at the machine, they were injecting things in my IV and then yelling things like "It's not working!". Eventually they did stabilize me, but apparently I had a reaction to the epi. My husband got there, then shortly after that it was time to give birth. My midwife from my last pregnancy wasn't on duty that time, but she came in just to deliver my daughter. The NICU team was there waiting for her, but she was born (at 35 weeks) in full term health, so they left. She stayed with me and did not need to be separated from me at any point. I think I might be a microwave.

DS2
I used a birth center this time, convinced that was my only chance at having a natural child birth. I told my baby all pregnancy "Just make it to 37 weeks" and on the day I turned 37 weeks I said, "Okay, you can come out when you're ready now". My water broke within a couple hours after that. I already had an appointment with my midwife scheduled, and when I got there she confirmed it was my water and checked me and told me I was 7cm. I guess I was dilating from braxton hicks/incompetent cervix with him, too. But real labor wasn't setting in. I went and had lunch, came back, still no contractions. I walked around the building, still no contraction. They gave me some herbs, and contractions started after the second dose of herbs. I went almost immediately into transition, labored for about 2 hours, pushed for about 5 minutes (felt longer...) and he was born, my biggest baby. His face was bruised from my coxic bone though.

this time I'm using the same birth center and want to try pushing in a better position so the pushing phase won't be as painful.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:17 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Zoe was my VBAC baby. Here's the link to her story that talks some about my son's c/s: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f5...rth-story.html (Zoe's Birth Story)

After my c/s with my son....I didn't see him for little over 2 hours. I felt like I was just handed some baby, not like I actually had a baby. I was in a lot of pain. I just remember trying to work on BFing. After Zoe I got to hold her - she never left my side. She nursed pretty soon afterwards. A couple of hours after her birth I had her in a wrap and I was sitting up in bed, walking around, etc. I felt so energized!

April 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a really rough pregnancy and delivery. I had bleeding at 8 weeks, my cervix softened at 14 weeks, and I had to take meds to stop preterm labor at 30 weeks. Finally at 39 weeks I went in for induction. I was told to come in at 5pm to start cervidil. I get to the hospital and my doctor tells me theres been a change in plans. She tells me she wants to give me a catheter and break my water so I get an epi almost as soon as I got there. After an hour she comes back and tells me nevermind she is going to wait until tomorrow to break my water so I had the epi for nothing and was confined to bed. I kept feeling like I had to pee and told the nurses but they said I shouldn't because of the catheter so they didn't do anything. I ended up peeing out the catheter, they put it back in wrong and i start having bladder spasms which despite the epi were extremely painful. They finally decide to take the catheter out and let me use a bedpan when I need to go. They give me 2 ambien around midnight and tell me to sleep. The next day the epi stopped working, they ended up putting it back in another 2 times throughout the day. she broke my water around 9:30am, i waited around all day and 12 hours later she told me I was at a 9 and she would just try to stretch me when the babys head came out! I started pushing,the babys heart rate dropped. They stopped with her already crowning and made me lay on my side for almost half an hour with an oxygen mask on. I couldn't take it anymore and begged for a c-section. She told me to try pushing again and I pushed for about 15 minutes as hard as I could and Gabriella came out. I had 3rd degree tears because of the "stretching" she did instead of just giving me an episiotomy. I lost a pint of blood and literally had to have my vagina packed with gauze for 24 hours. TO top it all off they hyper-extended both of my hips during delivery and I had to use a walker for two weeks. I couldn't even lift my own legs to get in and out of bed. All that made it extremely difficult to bond with Gabby and it took me a long time. I struggled with ppd really bad in the beginning and it is just now starting to finally get better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search