Foods

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Is there anyone else that is very skeptical with what is in our foods? I am not ok with all these GMO's that are currently being used. They are even linked to cancer now, well they say. I have always tried to shop organic, and use fresh fruits and veggies but it seems that will get harder and harder to do now. Even seeds are GMO's...this is so disgusting. I want to raise a healthy family, but this world is making this difficult. We are an ingredient reading family, we stay away from BHT / Fluoride and aspartame. The list will be getting bigger now. I really want to have a green house and never have to buy a fruit or veggie again. I also want to raise my own meat. As long as I don't have to see or hear them because then I would not eat them. I only eat chicken and turkey. And now this while Monsanto thing. Gross. What are you views on this?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

March 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's hard because something can be seen as safe for years, then seen as dangerous, then (sometimes) seen as safe again I think trying to eat as "clean" as possible is always a great goal.
IronMamma likes this.
March 29th, 2013, 04:11 PM
What does eating "clean" exactly mean? I have seen some people on FB stating they are not eating "clean" but I have not asked. I also believe that some ingredients may not be listed so we may never fully know what we are eating.

March 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they only have to report ingredients that are over a certain amount used. Not 100% sure though. With eating clean, I believe you basically make everything from scratch using fresh ingredients.

For example, you would eat organic meats and veggies and fruit. you drink water. If you want juice, you make your own with a juicer. You don't ingest anything unless it can be found in nature and prepared by you. So you can eat meat because you can find meat in nature. (It doesn't mean you have to hunt, just that it's the kind of food you could find without someone else "preparing" for you). Nuts are considered safe. You don't use sugar, but you might sweeten with *pure* honey. You wouldn't use salt. You only eat whole grains. Etc. Now, it's not like you have to be "perfect" ya know? Eat as clean as you can is usually a good goal, though.
March 29th, 2013, 04:40 PM
You explained that really well. I understand now. Makes sense. Thank you.

I think you are right about an ingredient reaching a certain amount. I believe I have heard that somewhere, not sure where but I have. I also heard that they round out numbers. Like if something has 13 calories, they will say it only has 10. Kind of mis-leading.

March 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Destiny
I try my best to eat well and just hope it's enough.
I am skeptical, and confused, but I hope that since I stay away from a lot of processed food the scales will be tipped in my favour.

March 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, my views on this are extremely detailed and more nuanced than most people's. Like I am not against the whole concept of genetic modification, I don't agree with the anti-GMO movement's tactics or goals, I think it is coming from a good place but there is a lot of misinformed fear mongering and black-and-white thinking... I mean, some GMOs like golden rice could do a lot to alleviate human suffering without bad social or environmental consequences, genetic engineering is just a technology and set of methods that can be used to various ends and I believe there are ethical ways it can be used... but it is true that Monsanto and the whole multinational agribusiness corporate sector is all pretty much pure evil. Sort of like fish farming, I'm very much against the type of fish farming that breeds viruses and pollutes or destroys wild populations and their habitats, but some farming can be done extremely sensitively, like tilapia farming, and be part of a well designed eco-friendly system. I am very interested in food systems and studied it quite a bit in my undergraduate classes. These are hard issues with a lot of ins and outs.

I like Michael Pollan's thoughts on food and eating. Staying with traditional and whole ("clean" I guess is the new term) foods and home prepared, simple meals, as much as possible, is healthiest. And for the greater food system, I try to support local and organic and eco/socially responsible suppliers as much as I can. It is easy to do where I live because we have lots of organic agriculture around and the climate and soil are fantastic for year round varied produce, and we have local natural/responsible animal and seafood products too. But I know in other parts of the country/world you'd live pretty poorly if you only ate stuff that came from a 100 mile radius... and organic is more expensive, and whole foods often take time and know how to prepare. You just do what you can.
KMH and TheOnlyPink like this.

March 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do prefer to eat 'real foods' avoiding processed foods etc. I like the idea of only eating what 'great grandma would recognize'. Our meat is organic, grass fed, and humanely raised. Where we live we more often than not shop for food in the states. We have made the decision not to purchase our meat, or dairy in the US because the standards for allowable/legal hormones are quite different than here. Although Canada is by no means perfect (hence why we buy special meat), We do still eat more processed food than I really like and we buy that in the states because it's so much cheaper. We plan to in the next year or two raise our own chickens and possible a cow or a couple goats.

March 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Why do you think that the last 50 years have been un - healthy compared to the years before? Like obesity. It has always been everywhere, but it seems to be more now? Do you think its the food or the proportions?

March 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally think both... The food has become more 'convenience based', microwaves and working moms have changed the way that we cook and eat. And we are eating more of it because more is available due to mass farming operations etc.

Also we now live in a very food centred social culture. If you are meeting friends, or going out, which people do much more often now I suspect, it usually has in some way to do with food. You never have company over without offering snacks etc. Every single outting or event, or scheduled play group you take kids to has 'snack time'.

March 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Also I think you have to look at how children are raised, and our lack of physical exercise as a population. Children now sit in front of screens the majority of their free time.

50 years ago I doubt many people paid for gym memberships, but they sure as heck worked harder out in the yard, on their small farms, walked to the store/to visit their neighbours... I think we've in general become a lot lazier over time, and many technologies have made us that way.

March 31st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lack of "real food", tons of processed snacks (and high calorie beverages like soda) instead (wasn't Jamie Oliver in W Virginia or something and most of the schoolkids could not recognize basic fruits and veggies, no one knew what a bell pepper was etc)... lack of physical exercise, which is due both to "helicopter parenting" and fear of letting kids play by themselves outside anymore, and to the infrastructure of newer suburban development, there are often no sidewalks or safe walking or biking paths to get places and people have no choice but to drive everywhere. In Mississippi, there was a really high obesity rate; where I live now it is very very low. The lifestyle and dietary pattern differences are HUGE and I totally see why so many people there get fat. No exercise or regular outdoor activity built into daily life, and a heavily processed and high fat/high starch/high sugar normal diet. Here, salads and kale and fresh fruits/veggies and vegetarianism and veganism and any health food trend of the past 20 years are quite prevalent, people are grossed out by overly heavy foods, there is a love of food but it revolves around healthy and conscious living. And people are extremely active with outdoor activities, biking is very common, hiking, surfing and skateboarding, lots of places to safely run and jog, you can walk places, etc. So I see it is hugely a cultural thing and it can depend a lot on not just the food culture, but the physical infrastructure of the community providing the opportunities to exercise easily. I am not one for gyms, that is fine for hardcore fitness people, but normal everyday folks just need stuff like a place to take a nice walk after dinner or go on a weekend hike or be able to bike to work every day or whatever, and kids need safe easily available places to run and play outside.
crunchywannabe likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search