How did you find out about Attachment Parenting?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By breathing for two

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it just something you did, and then you found a name for it? If so, did it give you ideas in other areas of parenting?
Was it something you heard about and looked into, and it sounded/felt "right" to you?
Were you practicing some areas of Attachment Parenting and then learned about the rest after discovering AP?
What's your story?
April 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Destiny
My friend mentioned her sister did "gentle parenting" I had never heard of it, and didn't think it was possible. I spent the whole day reading about it (Eliana was currently a sweet baby on a growth spurt, so I had lots of time to read) and it felt so right to me. When DH got home I had him read little bits here and there, it took him awhile to get used to, but now he's very supportive.
alittlelost likes this.

April 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Was it just something you did, and then you found a name for it? If so, did it give you ideas in other areas of parenting? Well I heard of it but wasnt sure EXACTLY what it was, Jess (ironmamma) actually told me more about it.

Was it something you heard about and looked into, and it sounded/felt "right" to you? I guess. . . I mean, I don't even know. lol

Were you practicing some areas of Attachment Parenting and then learned about the rest after discovering AP? Yes. Although a lot of the time, i dont feel I fit in here with some of the stuff I read, I do NOT in anyway mean that to offend, but I work outside the home, I vax and I do not co sleep, we have a strict schedule we go by and it seems most people in AP dont I dont know maybe i am just feeling emotional lol but. . . it often makes me wonder, should I REALLY be in here? But then again, I once tried the traditional parenting board, and that is definitely not for me.
That being said, I truly enjoy this board!

April 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having a hard time remembering now! I think I became interested in having a NCB first and maybe some of the ladies on the board were AP and I got to know it that way? I remember hearing about co-sleeping because I posted a thread in my DDC about how I really needed to get enough sleep for work and someone mentioned how co-sleeping helps you get more sleep and I thought, "Hey, that makes sense!".

April 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I also stumbled onto it while researching co-sleeping. I wanted to co-sleep but everyone had told me I'd suffocate my baby, so I was researching and kept seeing the term "AP." I realized that since I already co-slept, loved babywearing, breastfed on demand, delayed vaxing, etc. I fit right in. I wasn't sure about the gentle discipline at first (I came from a very traditional household), but after doing some reading and talking with DH it became obvious that it was the only choice for us.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Sarah, I feel like you belong here. You do not have to be vax free to be AP, you do not have to Co-sleep to be AP, and yes you CAN have a schedule. The whole point is gentle disicipline. We are all about loving and nurturing a child. I have been friends with you for a while to know that yes you are AP, you are such a good Mamma to G3! I mean that!

For me, I did not do any research on how I wanted to raise Drake, AP came to me naturally and honestly, I have no idea what AP even was until a friend of mine has mentioned that I was very AP and I was like "What?..." then I started to research it and welp, I am AP. I felt the way I was raising my child was the way of a lot of people until I talked to more Moms and realized AP is not the "norm". I have always felt that kids should eat when they are hungry, not when Mamam says, they should sleep when they are sleep, not when Mamma says and they should tell you when they are ready to achieve a mile stone, not when Mamma thinks he should. Luckily, DH is VERY AP. Score!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

April 9th, 2013, 04:51 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Sarah, I feel like you belong here. You do not have to be vax free to be AP, you do not have to Co-sleep to be AP, and yes you CAN have a schedule. The whole point is gentle disicipline. We are all about loving and nurturing a child. I have been friends with you for a while to know that yes you are AP, you are such a good Mamma to G3! I mean that!
Thank you I appreciate that. Everything I do is for him. to make his life better.

April 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I worked in childcare for a few years before I was hired by a family that gave my 'style' a name... sometimes I just didn't mesh well with the families I worked for... I thought they were too harsh, or uptight, or 'traditional' and it was difficult to follow along with another parent's choices (as their caregiver that was essentially my job).... When I found a family that did a lot of AP style things I fit in way better and worked for them for years. It just makes sense to me. I would identify myself as fairly traditional on the AP scale, but I think there is a lot to be said for doing what feels natural for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search