Gender Specific things you DON'T like

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 4 Post By ohnicole
  • 1 Post By Fluga

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are there any gender-specific things you don't like? For example, pink only being a "girl's" color or trucks being for "boys"? Or ear-piercing for girls or circumcision for boys? Or dresses only being for girls or boys being the only ones allowed to get dirty/stay out late/start dating at a younger age/etc?
April 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Im not gonna get into too much of anything on this. BUT Gary wears purple. lol Thats daddy's favorite color and plays with barbies at the sitters house We dont care. But we wont buy him barbies but mostly bc hes 16 months old. We could buy him a roll of toilet paper and hes happy.

April 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I LOVE blue on a girl I think it's one of the prettiest colors a little girl can wear, so I don't see it as a boy color at all! I also don't mind if my daughter gets dirty playing outside and she does "boy" sports now, too. I wouldn't care if my sons did "girl" sports. I am not a big fan of the leeway some people give boys and not girls (such as not caring if their son has a girl in their room but doesn't want their daughter to have a boy in their room). I personally don't want any of my kids dating too young I don't have an opinion on most other things, though. To each their own, of course.
ComfortablyMum likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Destiny
I really don't like the whole barbie/princess/dressup thing. But that's what my daughter's into, so oh well. I guess I used them as a kid, and it was just all imaginative play.
I don't like how hard everyone pushes sports on boys. I got almost entirely hand-me-downs for the kid's wardrobes, and almost everything was sports related. Fortunately I found some cute music and pirate and dinosaur stuff that I really like.

Around here it seems to be almost a requirement for a guy to at least try sports. My husband's a big guy and he did football for awhile, until highschool. Everyone made fun of him for skipping practice to buy the new Harry Potter book

April 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I really, really don't like the whole "I'm a princess" thing for girls. Drives me nuts, and we don't do princesses around here. If Claire really wanted something princess-y I'd get it for her, but I definitely don't encourage it. Her favorite toy is a bulldozer that makes noises while it drives She will take dance this next fall (the class is 15 minutes of tap dance, 15 minutes of ballet, and 15 minutes of tumbling), but only because she can't start karate until she's 4. I think girls have it easier, because they can do anything!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't really care either way and I think a lot of it depends on the child's personality. My son is in gymnastics and loves it. It is a sport that is seen as a girl sport sometimes, and I can tell that it is because finding a Leo for a boy is so difficult. He can wear shorts and a shirt but he wants an outfit like everyone else. My daughter is dressed up in tutus and bows while making mud pies in the backyard. She is very girly one minute and a complete Tom boy the next. A lot of it is her personality. Everett is only 19 months but he loves playing with babies and eating dirt. Payson maybe the complete opposite of all of them, we pretty much go with what they like and tend not to push in a certain direction.

April 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I hate it all. My boys have a doll house (not a hand-me-down, i we specifically bought it for them), they have purple and pink clothes. They watch Sofia the First on Disney Jr. They are in music class. Liam is starting soccer in the fall. They have trucks, trains, and tons of fire trucks (current obsession!) I refuse to buy into a specific sex-oriented mold, for both girls and boys. I have had a blast buying "girl" clothes this time around. But her closet is anything but pink and purple alone. A few of my favorites are blue, green, and other neutral colors. She will be playing in the rain and mud with my guys when she is old enough. All of my children will have similar rules about who is in their room/at sleepovers and they will be given expectations in line with their age and abilities, not their sex. I am forever thankful that my parents were like that with the three of us (me and my brothers).

I have a very close friend who is currently facing the possibility that her son (4-years) is transgender. He has been into "girl toys" and clothes for a long time. He identifies with being a girl and obviously has no problem with it. But it's sad because my friend is in a predicament of supporting his likes and desires (aka: who he is) versus protecting him from other kids/adults who will judge him for wearing dresses, tights, hair bows, and playing with tinker belle stuff. And at this age, where it can absolutely be a stage (although he does take it a little beyond what one might consider a typical stage and has been this way for a couple years now), its tough to explain why other kids might not see it as "typical" boy behavior. I really feel for her because society is what makes his interests "unacceptable." There is nothing wrong with a child enjoying a good fairy wand or wanting pink fingernails (Liam's nails are often colors of the rainbow). I think it's great to have them experiment with various "roles."

But I obviously have some emotional connections to someone who is right in the center of this kind of thing, so I am definitely more likely to encourage all types of play and interests in all of my children.
klockert and ComfortablyMum like this.
April 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Oh, I love music and pirate and dinosaur stuff for boys Definitely more than just sports out there. I've never been huge on sports themes.

Some great thoughts here.
April 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not into pushing boys or girls in the direction of 'traditional' gender interests or stopping kids from playing in whatever 'nontraditional' way they may want to. But that means that I am also willing to let my girls be girly if that's what they want (and my boys be rough and macho if I ever have any).

I am not a super girly girl, so I am always surprised when Eleanor seems to just naturally love girly stuff. I would have never gone for princess toys, but grandma got her a princess castle and it is absolutely a favorite of Eleanor's (even if all the princesses ever do is eat, sleep, and jump off the top of the castle ). And I would have never even thought of play jewelry as a toy, but we went on a play date and Eleanor spent 45 minutes just putting on and taking off play necklaces, saying, "Ooooh, pretty!" She has a lot of non-girly interests too (animals, cars, trains, mud, and to my dismay basketball and golf ). But basically I want my kids to all be treated fairly and to be encouraged to enjoy the things they enjoy.
April 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I don't like anything being considered "gender specific".. Ash has a bin full of cars, trucks, motorcyles and other "boy" toys as well as various "girl" toys. We got a play kitchen for both kids.. not just Ash. Matthew loves it! Matthew's toys are all gender neutral too. Ash owns "boy" pajamas that were in the boy section at walmart. Red and black angry bird jammies. They are one of her favorites!
DF doesn't want Matthew wearing girly diapers, but it's whatever really. I humor him. We don't circ and Ashlynn won't get her ears pierced until she asks and is serious about it. If Matthew wants his done I suppose I'd allow that too. Daddy has his pierced, I have mine pierced.
Oh, and two of Ashlynn's favorite shows is Sonic Underground and Transformers.
We just go with their interests and ignore gender stereotypes.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
April 10th, 2013, 05:48 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Gary loves Sofia the 1st! He also loves trucks, cars and playing ball. BUT anything he ever wants to do will be encouraged, whether it be football or ballet

April 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I really dont like it when there are two varieties of the same toy geared for a girl and a boy. The boy one will be all colourful with blues, yellows, red, girl variety just different shades of pink and purple. First of all dislike the limiting colourscheme and secondly dislike that there has to be two different versions, why cant there just be one colourful and pretty that appeals equally to both?
KMH likes this.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I actually like to have color options, but not necessarily all pink and purple for girl. I love things that are colorful with blues, pinks, purples, greens, and oranges. Bright colors together are always fun. I think the boys stuff often is more like "red white blue and sometimes yellow" and that isn't as appealing to me. I guess colors in general annoy me LOL but I'm picky, so I like options. I agree the girl options are often so limited though! Like you said, just pink and purple--looks like someone vomited pepto bismal all over the place. it's like those are the only 2 colors girls can play with, and I don't like that.
April 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't care for most gender specific things. Gabby plays with dolls and cars. She doesn't only wear pink or purple, and she loves playing outside in the dirt. All of those things are totally fine with me. I will always encourage her to be herself and do what makes her happy regardless of gender roles.

April 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Um, EVERY thing? Gender specificness is ridiculous and in some situations can be psychologically harmful.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sareymac View Post
We could buy him a roll of toilet paper and hes happy.
LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I LOVE blue on a girl I think it's one of the prettiest colors a little girl can wear, so I don't see it as a boy color at all! I also don't mind if my daughter gets dirty playing outside and she does "boy" sports now, too. I wouldn't care if my sons did "girl" sports. I am not a big fan of the leeway some people give boys and not girls (such as not caring if their son has a girl in their room but doesn't want their daughter to have a boy in their room). I personally don't want any of my kids dating too young I don't have an opinion on most other things, though. To each their own, of course.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I really, really don't like the whole "I'm a princess" thing for girls. Drives me nuts, and we don't do princesses around here. If Claire really wanted something princess-y I'd get it for her, but I definitely don't encourage it. Her favorite toy is a bulldozer that makes noises while it drives She will take dance this next fall (the class is 15 minutes of tap dance, 15 minutes of ballet, and 15 minutes of tumbling), but only because she can't start karate until she's 4. I think girls have it easier, because they can do anything!
Yes to the bold!! And boys get into more trouble than girls, over smaller things a lot of the time. But that is a whole different topic lol

Eve's room is very girly, and that is the way I have always wanted it so until she can tell me what she wants as her "theme", it will be girly
Majority of her clothing is pinks and purples, but she also has other coloured clothing too I LOVE rainbow and couldn't imagine just dressing her in pinks and purples!

I am not one to follow gender specific "rules", Eve will be allowed to do what she wants and like what she wants. No prob

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
Last fall at school, I met a women who has a son who prefers dressing like a girl. He wears girls' clothing, does his hair like a girl, and she supports him fully. Seeing their relationship made me question a lot of gender constructs in our society and I have some pretty strong opinions about it.

As a mother of boys, I hate that they will grow up with society trying to fit them into the tiny box of "allowable" things that are considered manly. I hate going to toy stores or toy sections and seeing the "girl aisle" which is pink and purple, and the "boy aisle" which is always dark colors, like black, blue, and dark green.

When we get pregnant, both of the boys will get baby dolls, so I can show them how we care for baby before baby comes. I have no doubt that eventually they will have children, and they need to know just as much about taking care of those children as their partner. If/When we have a daughter, we will be playing basketball, baseball, and volleyball with her, and teaching her to work on a car, just as much as we teach the boys those things.

I do have a thing for the color pink, and will make everyone in my family wear it at every opportunity though.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search