Constructive Criticism

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As parents, we often give our children feedback on their behavior, whether telling them we like something they did or telling them what they need to do in the future to conduct themselves better. But how do you feel about giving a child constructive criticism in other areas of their life? Do you think you should leave them to figure it out on their own, give them feedback, only give feedback when they ask, or does it depend on the situation?
April 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Garys still so young for this yet. The only thing we do is high fives when he throws stuff in the garbage haha, Or his animal sounds & body parts LOL. But when the time comes, i would say giving helpful feedback is great and sometimes necessary, as long as its nurturing. IMO.

Happily married to the love of my life, mom of two beautiful babies, Gary & Adalyn
April 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think it would depend in the situation. And the intention of the "constructive criticism." I think it needs to absolutely be for the child's good, and sometimes I think parents can get mistaken in who the comments are benefiting. BUT, as long as the child asks for it, I think it is fine to give some gentle constructive criticism. And sparsely. I think it's actually a great way for kids to learn about how to take constructive criticism in the future. Given they have the greatest trust and comfort level with their parents and they can practice taking the comments well and making changes to their actions or whatever. I feel like we have started a little bit with Liam, but nothing "major." Something like Liam scribbling on a piece of paper and then wanting tons of praise for it. We gently comment that he didn't seem to really work in the picture, that if he wanted to give it to someone, he might want to put a little more effort into it. But at this point it's more like a suggestion, one he feels free to disregard! Lol. And when he does put a lot of effort into a picture, we make sure to make a big deal out of it and ask him questions about it. But he is still very young for most of what I think you are talking about.
April 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I'm definitely of the mind that it's situational. Sometimes they need to figure it out on their own, and sometimes someone does need to step in. It's just very difficult to know when is the right time. That being said, I think some people don't think about it the right way. They can do a lot of damage with good intentions.
IronMamma likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Drake is also too young for this but honestly, I am not sure how or what I would do about constructive criticism. I know that when it is not worded in a "nice" way some people can take offence to what you are saying, I know I have.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search