potty training?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jennifer*
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 2 Post By mama_2_Callen
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son Callen is 3 and won't use the potty. I have tried a little potty and the one that goes on the big potty. He hates them both. I have tried stickers, m&ms neither worked. I got him lightening mcqueen underwear and tried to have him wear it and tell me if he has to go. Nope he pees in the underwear and doesn't care if its wet. I have tried naked time but he hates hates hates being naked. He screamed cried and freaked out. I don't want to force him because I don't want to traumatize him, but DH thinks he needs to be potty trained. I think he will do it when hes ready. My mommy instinct is saying just leave it alone till he wants to. I guess I was just looking for reassurance that I am doing the right thing. Or maybe any tips that I haven't tried. Thanks!

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
April 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say he will use the potty when ready to use it. I think you are doing the right thing
IronMamma likes this.

Thanks to Nicole *MommaDucks* for my siggy

April 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist

I also know that boys are naturally a little slower with using the potty and such. Well, that is what I have always heard and been told. I assume we still have AT LEAST another year in diaper with Drake, and he is 16 months. You are doing everything right in my book. He will use it when he is ready. When he is forced he will not want too, ya know.
*Jennifer* likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

April 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! Its nice to hear that I am doing the right thing. I will continue to let him be in control.
*Jennifer* and IronMamma like this.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Absolutely! I plan to let Drake be in control too, and if that means he is three and still has accidents or whatever, then do be it.

I used to be a pre school teacher and there was this little boy who was almost three and he would not pee in the potty. His Mom and the other teachers would all crowd around in the bathroom and try to MAKE him pee. Obviously did not work. This was before I TTC and it broke my heart. I was thinking to myself "Isn't that like bullying?" If Drake was sitting on the potty and he did not go I would not get mad, and if he stood and had an accident fine, do be it. He is still learning. I am 28 and I am still learning. I have no idea why some people want or expect children to do everything right when no one does everything right.
mama_2_Callen likes this.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

April 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are right not to push it!

There's tons of ways you can start encouraging it, though!

Bring him with you to the potty and talk about what you are doing. Talk about how comfortable your underwear are. When you change a wet diaper and put on a dry one, say "Doesn't that feel so much nicer?"

When you are ready to train, make it more of a "thing you do". No pressure, but not asking if he wants to. Start with just the easy catches (first thing in the morning and after naps). A simple "Time to use the potty!" works.

Have him just sit there for a short time (no more than a minute or two) and if he doesn't go say, "Maybe next time" and if he does go, make a big deal about it.
IronMamma likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
DH and I plan to celebrate BIG every time Drake pees in the potty. I actually cannot wait for that, but I can. I like his cloth butt.

April 23rd, 2013, 06:14 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Just a funny note about celebrating the potty...we do that too in our house. When Claire pees on the potty we sing and dance and make a big deal out of it. So...this weekend we were vacationing and I took Claire to a public restroom. After I used the bathroom she started clapping and proclaimed VERY loudly "Yay, Mommy! You pottied!!" I could hear giggles of the other ladies in the bathroom

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 24th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Just a funny note about celebrating the potty...we do that too in our house. When Claire pees on the potty we sing and dance and make a big deal out of it. So...this weekend we were vacationing and I took Claire to a public restroom. After I used the bathroom she started clapping and proclaimed VERY loudly "Yay, Mommy! You pottied!!" I could hear giggles of the other ladies in the bathroom
That's awesome that she cheered for you! I think over the top celebration for using the potty is a huge motivator. We shall see.

April 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
You are right not to push it!

There's tons of ways you can start encouraging it, though!

Bring him with you to the potty and talk about what you are doing. Talk about how comfortable your underwear are. When you change a wet diaper and put on a dry one, say "Doesn't that feel so much nicer?"

When you are ready to train, make it more of a "thing you do". No pressure, but not asking if he wants to. Start with just the easy catches (first thing in the morning and after naps). A simple "Time to use the potty!" works.

Have him just sit there for a short time (no more than a minute or two) and if he doesn't go say, "Maybe next time" and if he does go, make a big deal about it.
Thanks those are some great ideas!

lol cheering for you thats so cute!

And Jess I feel so bad for that kid, that must have been so humiliating. I never want to make my kid for like that. Geez people are so mean sometimes.

April 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Yes people ARE mean sometimes. I feel like they are mean more then nice. SO sad.

I also look at potty training kinda like "sleep" training. Your child is not going to go to sleep if she / he is not tired, so why force it? If your child is not ready to pee on the potty, then why force it? Especially us SAHM's that have more time, and those working Mammas who has a reliable sitter that has patience. When children learn in a positive way and on there watch the outcome is that much more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search