Bottles

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
At what age was your LO completely off bottles? How was your journey to get to that point? What sippy cups did you use?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

April 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son was off of them by 11 months. We just started giving him sippys and he was fine. We used the ones with the soft spout with him and then the straw ones. My daughter weaned herself off them at 10 months. One day she just refused them and started using sippys. We just used whatever with her she didn't care. I was pretty lucky. They both didn't care at all.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
April 23rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It took a long time to get my oldest off sippy cups. I want to say he was about 4? but we have motor delays contributing that. My youngest two I think could drink from open cups by 12-15 months, though I don't think they did so regularly until 2 1/2 or 3 years?
April 23rd, 2013, 03:41 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Claire finally got rid of the bottle at around 18 months...the one right before bed was the last to go. She drank well from a straw sippy if I put water in it, but didn't like to drink milk from it. She'd just sip it, and before bed she really needed that full serving of milk. When she could consistently suck it down from the sippy I just didn't give her a bottle anymore. She didn't ask...it wasn't a traumatic event at all

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

April 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Drake will be 17 months very soon and he is very much so a bottle baby. He LOVES his bottles. I give him sippy cups all the time, he will throw it down and not drink from it. I have the ones with the soft nipple like sucker, and then the regular sippy, and I have offered him a straw and so on. He just will not drink from anything other then a bottle. He still takes bottles to fall asleep at night too, and for a nap. Honestly, I am not that worried. He is still little. My youngest brother kept his bottle until he was three. I know some habits are hard to break. Some kids have binks for a long time, looks like Drake will have a bottle for a long time.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

April 24th, 2013, 04:07 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Eve still has bottles and I won't refuse until she eats food properly. She is refusing food at the moment >.<

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 24th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Drake is the same. He did not eat ALL day today, he ate "some" mac and cheese yesterday then he did not eat the two days before that. He hates food! So I make sure he gets plenty of formula.

April 24th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Our plunket nurse said it is a phase they go through around this age

April 24th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Sometimes I really wonder if he hates food. He has eaten the same 4 things since he started solids. He just does not like anything. I offer but he refuses unless it's mac and cheese, pizza...wait, that's all. He does not eat ANY fruits or veggies anymore. I try to get him to eat a yogurt for breakfast but he usually will not. He completely stopped eating spaghetti and grilled cheese. (those were the other two foods to make four) He looks at food, makes a face like it's the most disgusting thing he has ever seen, throws it and then wants down.

April 24th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Aww I hope he grows out of it

April 24th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If he isn't eating then I wouldn't be worried about the bottle. He likes it and that's fine. Sounds like you are doing a great job with him! He wont have the bottle forever so just cherish while he's still little. If my kids had put up a fight or anything about getting rid of it I would have let them keep it. I don't like getting rid of their comfort items. Luckily they both weaned themselves off bottles and pacifiers. I'm sorry he doesn't eat anything that sounds frustrating.
IronMamma likes this.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
April 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM
He loves his bottle. He will walk to the fridge and hit the door, I will open it and he will help himself to a bottle. It's really cute. He has never been an eater. And, thank you! I try! I really do. I am the same way. I will not take it if HE is not ready. Not like he drinks bottles and does not get his teeth brushed. I brush them 2, sometimes 3 times a day. He weaned himself from the bink at 6 months. I loved when that happened. I did not want him to have one of those for like ever like some kids do. It is frustrating that he does not eat, and it's because I feel like he is hungry, but I guess he just isnt or just does not like food. I have heard that some babies do not develop a taste for food until around two. Maybe he is like that.

April 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Gary usually just drinks outta sippies he calls them babas lol. But he wants a bottle too sometimes. We give it to him. The sitter only gives him sippies and thats all he will drink out of for her. He was completely off bottles around a year and then kind of reverted when he got an ear infection and was irritable and i gave him the bottle back. Im not worried. He is off the shushie (pacifier) which is what I was worried about since I was VERY much into mine as a baby. He's almost 17 months, a bottle wont hurt him. I have a friend on FB who was all he is too old for a bottle. Wellp, you raise your kid and i shall raise mine. thanks. I am not into forcing him to do things.

Jess, Drake will get there, like someone else said, it's a phase and you're giving him the nutrients he needs. thats all he needs is a good mama and daddy and he's got it.

Happily married to the love of my life, mom of two beautiful babies, Gary & Adalyn
April 24th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I cannot stand when people say things like that. Like really, what IS too old? Like 5? 16 months is not too old. Sometimes when I am in Walmart I feel like other Moms judge me. Not that I "care", I just notice. Like, who cares! My son is healthy so whatever. I would try a little harder for a sippy if he ate, but for now he doesn't so it's alright.

April 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
Gabby still gets at least 3 bottles a day and I'm not too worried. she uses a sippy other tha that.

April 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Pea uses a sippy cup at day care, and she uses one at home for water. She has a night night bottle with her warm milk. But I think that's mostly comfort for us rocking with our baby at night! I am worrying about her bink use though. It used to be just for night night time but NOW that Caleb has a bink, if he has one and she doesn't it's automatic meltdown til she gets one. And now she's talking with it. But one lady really put it in perspective for me. She said what if you were addicted to something and someone just took it cold turkey from you, it would be horrible and hard! Now I can't even attempt to wean her from it because Caleb has it! And she just goes and steals his lol

April 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Drake will not drink water, at all. He used to, but will not anymore. So what I do is water down juice so he gets some water. Aww yeah, I would not be able to wean her from her bink if she saw that her little brother had one. Luckily Drake has weaned himself from his bink at 6 months. I tried to give it back to him several months ago when he was teething hard and needed something to bite and he did not want it at all. I was actually pretty happy about that.

April 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just talking to my mom about this. She was asking when I was going to take the twins off the bottle. They just turned 1 two weeks ago, I told her that I wasn't even thinking about weaning them.
April 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Katy, so they are still pretty attached to there bottle as well? And good for you for sticking up for your parenting decision so quick.

April 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes they love their bottles, I've only tried sippy cups a couple of times with them though and they just threw the cups on the floor everytime

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search