Well visits

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Do you take your LO for well visits? How often?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

April 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, and then every year...that is what our pedi uses.

Honestly I know my kids are healthy. If Abigail didn't need her Zantac prescription re-written, we'd skip the 9-month appt!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 25th, 2013, 06:13 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
^ Same here, I'm still trying to schedule the babies 12 month appointment. I just want them back to back on the same day is that so hard jeeze lol
April 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Oh my gosh, I know! When I request two appointments back-to-back they act like I'm asking for a million dollars. It can't be that hard to schedule, can it?!? You'd think they would be used to that for people that have more than one child?

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I only take Drake when I know something is wrong. He went at 1 month, 2 month, 4 month, 6 months and then just today for a routine check on his skin. We do not vaccinate so we measure and weight him at home. On well visits all they do is weight and height and look inside his ears. That's all.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

April 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly no. I did until like 6 months and then stopped. I don't need to pay for them to tell me that my kids are fine.
IronMamma likes this.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
April 25th, 2013, 08:27 PM
^^ I feel the same way.

April 26th, 2013, 02:44 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We do the every three month well visits. We would weigh him at home and we do measure him, he keeps getting so tall we like to keep track. But they do more than that at the dr. at least at ours, and I have great health insurance I don't pay a dime for and I don't pay at well baby visits just at sick visits.

April 26th, 2013, 06:45 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
We won't be doing them. LO still hasn't gone to the pedi at 2 weeks old now and we don't see a reason to go until something is wrong. I don't need someone to weigh him, I know he's eating well and his diapers are sufficient and we don't want vaccines until he's older. Not bringing my healthy baby into a place full of other sick kids coughing and sneezing everywhere.
mama_2_Callen and IronMamma like this.

April 26th, 2013, 08:28 AM
^ Thats the thing I like about my peds office, they schedule the well baby visits for first thing in the morning (if they can) to avoid the sick kids as much as they can. Of course it doesn't mean there wont be sick kids there and they wont catch anything. But I think that's pretty smart. lol. Maybe everyone does it and I am clueless I dont know haha.

April 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
How long does a well visit last? I think that in here they are 45 mins to an hour. I went to too many with DD2, nurse was schedule happy. I dont have to pay as they're a part of the universal healthcare. I found them to be a hassle, I even had her drop one visit as she was having me come about every 3 weeks with a 3 month old. I hadnt been paying too much attention to how she was scheduling them, just said if the day was OK or not.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 26th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Sarah, it seems like you have a great Dr. I have been in the waiting room with Drake before with SICK kids coughing everywhere. and I cannot help but think, "Great, I brought my healthy child here to get seen and he could leave sick."

Well visits here last MAYBE 2 minutes. Literally. It is seriously a waste of my time. I will take him like I said if I KNOW something is wrong. Other then that, no.

April 26th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah that sounds like a great doctors office that you have Sarah! The one I went to as a kid had a separate waiting room for sick kids and well kids so that was good.

April 26th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Yes that is how mine was! There was a sick room and a not sick room. That is such a good idea! It does not seem fair for non sick kids to be mixed in with sick kids and could get sick. I said sick a lot

April 27th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol. It isn't fair.

April 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All visits for the kids are covered 100% (military Tricare), but I haven't taken my son to one since he was 12 months and Zoe has only gone to her 2 week appt. Base care where we lives leaves much to be desired and there's only ONE option out in town and I haven't heard good things. We are currently not vaxing. I really didn't see the point of waiting in a room with sick kids for 30 minutes to an hour just for 5 minutes with the ped. A tech always does the weight and measurements. If I had any concerns at all I'd take them to be seen in a heartbeat, but neither have been sick enough to need to be seen. I weigh and measure them. We're all happy.
I usually don't let people know that I don't take my kids to well visit. So many think that you *have* to take them and that it's neglect for me not to take them. *sigh*

April 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Our visits were like 5 mins when he smaller but now she does like reflexes and she talks to him to see how he responds. She also gave him a ball last time to see what he did. She basically goes over his overall development and whatnot. They have a seperate waiting area too. Which I like a lot. But we also dont wait very long. We had a realllly crappy ped his first couple weeks and I switched I love ours. She is so sweet and i love the way they run their office.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

April 27th, 2013, 08:26 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We go on the usual schedule. I would ONLY take them when they are sick, but because we homeschool and don't vaccinate we were told to bring them to all visits just to "protect ourselves"--we live in a state where child services like to get up your but over every non-mainstream choice you make. This is why so many kids of child abuse die down here. They are too busy harassing people for homeschooling and not vaccinating to do any good for the children being hurt...
April 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I agree that people seem to think you HAVE to take them. You really don't.

I cant believe your Dr is that involved Sarah. Totally not fair. There are only two Dr's in town that take our insurance. The first one will not accept us because we do not vax so we really have no choice. He has never once done his reflexes, talked to him, anything. Just in and out, bam. Drake hates the Drs anyways so it's ok.

That's so sad Lost.

April 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
We go on the usual schedule. I would ONLY take them when they are sick, but because we homeschool and don't vaccinate we were told to bring them to all visits just to "protect ourselves"--we live in a state where child services like to get up your but over every non-mainstream choice you make. This is why so many kids of child abuse die down here. They are too busy harassing people for homeschooling and not vaccinating to do any good for the children being hurt...
I actually just noticed this last night when we were in the ER with my dd. She fell off a chair and bit through her lip. There was a hole right through her lip. And urgent care was closed on a saturday at 6. I thought that was the point of urgent care? Anyway we got there and they were asking me all kinds of questions like how did this happen? where were you? I see she has scrapes on her knees where are those from? Seriously?? She is 20 months old she runs around and falls on the sidewalk and the playground. I don't beat her geezz.. But they sure were acting like I was. Oh and she had a 99.4 temp and the nurse was like oh my she has a fever is she sick? I didn't think 99.4 was really a fever in small kids? Grrr.. anyway sorry for the long rant I just had to say that it is really sad and true.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search