Safety Sunday

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mama_2_Callen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Safety is so important. We as parents have a duty to protect our babies from danger. What do you do around the house to make sure it's safe for your LO's?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

April 28th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I'd say it'll be the same with our own LO, but from experience with my nephew, I think supervision is the best start. Also just using common sense, we are a chemical cleaner free home to begin with, but it would be important to keep things like that out of reach at all times. And being aware of what he could potentially get into or hurt by. (checking things out from his eye level/point of view)

We currently have made it habit when my nephew is over (he can stay with us for weeks at a time) that all interior doors stay closed. (that means bathroom, and bedrooms where furniture like dressers and bookshelves aren't anchored)... Once he's big enough to open them, then we'll revisit the issue, but I suspect it'll still be a while.

I feel that the biggest safety concern I have for all children isn't in the home, but in the car, so becoming a certified car seat technician makes me feel much more confident about keeping my nephew, our baby, and any other babies safe in the car!

April 29th, 2013, 12:54 AM
I agree that supervision is the first step in being safe. If your LO walks out of the room do not check on them like 5 minutes later. Get up in less then a minute. Depending on age of course, but I never sit for more then a minute when Drake walks out of the room. I also use outlet covers, BUT he can take them off now so no outlet is safe. I also use those cabinet locks on the low cabinets. That is really all. Oh, I make sure there are no wires hanging around. That is really it. I like to let Drake explore. He is really good at listening to "no no" when he is touching something he is not supposed to. Well, not ALL the time, but for the most part he is pretty good.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

April 29th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much just keep an eye on them at all times. They are pretty good about not getting into stuff. And honestly i dont have much that they cant play with. When callen was little I got all sorts of baby proofing stuff. Outlet covers he took off, so I got the kind d where you turn to put the plug in nope he figured those out. The door knob covers he could work better than me and I tried 10 different kinds of cabinet locks he broke all of them. So yeah now I just move stuff that's dangerous and let them have at it. Besides I didn't really like the idea of all those stupid locks and covers anyway it was mostly for my dh.
alwayssmile and IronMamma like this.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
April 29th, 2013, 05:35 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We just watch him. Downstairs all the rooms are open. We tell him "close it" if he opens cabinets and he usually does. The basement is the only worry we have, he can open doors and until we put a high up lock on it, we have been putting things in front of the door. We have the upstairs blocked off because he can get up stairs but not down. But with the gate there he usually ignores it. Until we say wanna go night night and he moves it and heads up lol

I forgot to add outlet covers, and he can take them out too. I dont know how, bc I have a hard time. But he usually doesnt touch them.

Last edited by sareymac; April 29th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
April 29th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Destiny
We keep anything unsafe out of reach or we just get rid of it. I put locks on the doors, and for the little room with the water heater I took an extra doorknob with a lock to put on there as well.
We have outlet cover and cabinet locks, I really need to do something about the sliding door. I could not believe how many times she got out, including once where I was outside and my husband didn't hear her wake up from her nap. Eek!
We're putting up a fence, and that will keep her safe even if she gets out, but only to a point.

April 29th, 2013, 07:23 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
We are a chemical free cleaner home as well but still have locks on all cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms.
We have all large furniture anchored to the wall.
Baby gate at the top of the stairs and actually one to LOs room as well since we took the door off. Outlet covers on all unused outlets and corner protectors on sharp corners. The backyard is fenced in with a lock. We have an alarm system that chimes when any outside door is opened.

April 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is one of those that dismantles all of those child proofing items and he's a climber. So we just keep a kid friendly house - we don't keep nick naks out, things that we need are kept put away and out of sight, and we taught him how to be safe about going up and down stairs, using stools, etc. And now we have battery alarms on all the outside doors.

April 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
And now we have battery alarms on all the outside doors.
Are those stand-alone alarms or part of a security system? We have been discussing something like this because DD1 has figured out how to undo the child-proof locks

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Drake can now un lock the front door and open it...

April 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Are those stand-alone alarms or part of a security system? We have been discussing something like this because DD1 has figured out how to undo the child-proof locks
We have these.
Amazon.com: GE 45115 Wireless Battery-Operated Magnetic Window Alarm, 2 Pack: Camera & Photo

April 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I think I am going to have to invest in something like that. Drake scares me. He climbs on everything and anything and like I said can now unlock and open the door...he climbs onto the back of the couch and pushes at the screen. AHH!!

Those wireless battery operated alarms are a pretty good price. Do they work well?

April 29th, 2013, 02:37 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Awesome, thank you so much!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
We make sure to keep the bathroom and laundry doors shut at all times. Anything we feel a baby/toddler shouldn't be near or touch, we put out of reach or store in a cupboard she cannot open. Otherwise, we generally just tell her "no don't touch, that will hurt you" etc.. she actually really understands us, and she has never been seen to touch something she shouldn't.

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I just have basic stuff like covers on the outlets and cabinet locks. With the security system my parents have it makes a beeping noise everytime a door opens that leads to outside.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search