Sunday Service

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree30Likes
  • 2 Post By mama_2_Callen
  • 2 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 2 Post By sareymac
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 3 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 2 Post By ComfortablyMum
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By klockert
  • 1 Post By IronMamma
  • 1 Post By mama_2_Callen
  • 2 Post By IronMamma
  • 2 Post By klockert
  • 3 Post By IronMamma
  • 2 Post By KatyG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 03:50 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
I feel like we have a nice group of mature Mamma's here, so this topic should not cause any conflicts. What religion are you ladies? Do you go to church? Tell us a little about your beliefs.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

May 5th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was raised lutheran but we don't attend any church now. Both dh and I growing up had religion shoved down our throats so we have a bad taste in our mouth from that. My parents weren't nearly as bad as DH's. His parents said that halloween was the devils holiday and wouldn't let them believe in santa. So now dh hates the holidays which really annoys me because i love holidays.

I honestly have no idea what I believe. I just have a really hard time wrapping my head around the concept that there is someone up there controlling everything and knows everything. I just don't understand how he created everything and did all the miracles that they claim he did. I am a very logical person and it just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't have anything against anyone who goes to church I just don't want them to shove their beliefs down my throat. I also think that there needs to be a much stronger separation of church and state. People should be able to choose what they want to believe or not believe in and not be ridiculed for their choices.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
May 5th, 2013, 06:12 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with a lot of what Emily said! I guess faith means believing in things that logic would never allow you to consider . . . and I'm just not wired that way!

I also think there are many perfectly reasonable explanations for things that happened in the bible that have nothing to do with the possibility of there being a God (rained fire? You mean a meteor shower? Raised the dead? You mean the person was actually just in a coma or mistaken for dead? which was so common in history that they used attach bells to people they buried in case they woke up, so they could hear that person was actually still alive...) Stuff like that. And that's assuming the stories aren't just completely fabricated.

Then I think, if God is real, I don't like him very much anyway... He doesn't seem like a good man to me. If God were my husband, people would be telling me to get a divorce! And telling me that I am delusional for thinking he really loves me, and telling me that "that is not what love is".

That said, I don't care what people believe, but it DOES make me sad when people hide behind religion to hurt other people, especially children Other than that, I don't mind either way, just don't try to push it on me, especially if you don't want your beliefs challenged! Too many times people of religion try to talk me into believing in God but you know they wouldn't like it very much if I presented the logic that makes their belief in God look like a horrifying fairy tale, would they? So as long as they respect my right not to believe and don't try to push God on me, then I extend them the same respect. BUT part of some people's religions IS believing they HAVE to convert other people, so I think it's a bit harder for them.

So, I obviously don't go to church. However, my daughter does. She goes with my friend a lot and she loves going. She believes in God and I respect that, but as her parent, I also remind her that she can believe anything she wants but that not everyone believes the same thing and it's important she respect that and still be kind to others even if they don't believe in the same things she does.
May 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Destiny
I believe that most religions hold some kind of truth, but none of them hold the whole truth.
One of the reasons I was stuck in Christianity for so long was because a lot of it rang true with me. I had been told for as long as I remember that I had to take the bad with the good. But now I know that I can decide for myself what I believe to be true, according to my own logic and my own soul.
I was spiritually abused by my parents and several churches, and it made it hard to break from the "worthless without God" paradigm. I don't think I ever felt as free as I did when I made the decision to never walk through those doors again.

So I believe in God (or rather, a deity) I most assuredly don't believe in eternal torment, tithing or casting out the immoral. I think that there are good things to learn from most religions, but I'm not obligated to learn them, follow them, or put any of the divine above loving and caring for the people with me right now.
I'm slightly religionless, but I think I really like it this way.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

May 5th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm non-denom. Christian. When we lived in the city I attended and was quite involved in a church there! It was fantastic, I met so many amazing people, developed great friendships and really felt that the messages lined up well with my personal beliefs!

Since moving out here, I haven't found any church that has been a good match, so I haven't really attended anywhere between visits back to the city (once every couple of months)

I believe that the Bible is truth and although I'm far from "there", I try to live in a way that reflects what I believe God wants in my life.
I also feel that "the church" and "christians" need a P.R. revamp in a big way! When I hear all kinds of stories about negative experiences based on the 'people' they encounter it really disappoints me. I just don't get it. I usually chalk it up to misrepresentation of what I believe to be true. Just like everyone else I get really irritated by people who have a self righteous attitude. I have had such wonderful and amazing relationships with christians, and great experiences in my own walk but to be honest, if this wasn't something that I grew up in, and was encouraged to discover for myself, based on the PR I see day to day from all sorts of people, it's not something I would touch with a 10 ft pole.

May 5th, 2013, 08:24 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
Wellp. I guess I am pretty much nothing. My husband and I both don't believe in organized religion and we don't do church or baptisms or anything like that. I dunno. Thats basically it.
ComfortablyMum and IronMamma like this.

A big thank you to Jaidynsmum for another gorgeous siggy!!
May 5th, 2013, 09:25 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I'm non-denom. Christian. When we lived in the city I attended and was quite involved in a church there! It was fantastic, I met so many amazing people, developed great friendships and really felt that the messages lined up well with my personal beliefs!

Since moving out here, I haven't found any church that has been a good match, so I haven't really attended anywhere between visits back to the city (once every couple of months)

I believe that the Bible is truth and although I'm far from "there", I try to live in a way that reflects what I believe God wants in my life.
I also feel that "the church" and "christians" need a P.R. revamp in a big way! When I hear all kinds of stories about negative experiences based on the 'people' they encounter it really disappoints me. I just don't get it. I usually chalk it up to misrepresentation of what I believe to be true. Just like everyone else I get really irritated by people who have a self righteous attitude. I have had such wonderful and amazing relationships with christians, and great experiences in my own walk but to be honest, if this wasn't something that I grew up in, and was encouraged to discover for myself, based on the PR I see day to day from all sorts of people, it's not something I would touch with a 10 ft pole.
but by your own admission, there aren't any churches near you that line up with what you believe. I think there are good Christians out there, but unfortunately they are outnumbered with the more vocal of their counterparts. That's why so many good christians have a hard time finding a good church. Then you also have to wonder, what is true christianity? Is it what the minority of christians think it is, or is it what the majority think it is? Or can it be either one, because religion is a personal choice, in which case you have to accept that maybe theose places don't need a PR revamp because the majority of christians see christianity in that way and so WANT it presented in that way. Also, religion shouldn't need PR (in my opinion). It's sad the way religion is treated like a business that needs to bring in more customers. I know LOTS of great Christians, though, and I still wouldn't touch Christianity with a 10 foot pole. It's not an issue of PR. It's an issue of it not matching my beliefs, the same way the churches near you don't match yours. No version of christianity (and I've encountered many, some of which I even think of as "good") ring true to me. I think Christianity (as I believe it to mean) has great values and can help guide people who need that guidance, but most Christian's will disagree with what I think Christianity means anyway. I could tell one Christian their version is "wrong" though, even if I was christian. Who am I to say? EVERYONE thinks their interpretation of their religion is the "right" one and they ALL want people to hear their version and they are all convinced "if only people know my version then they would be Christian too!" Thankfully it's not something I have had to deal with from Catholics or Jews they don't seem to care at all what I believe or what I think of their religion.
mama_2_Callen likes this.
May 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Hmm. I don't know what the term is for people like me. I just exist

I had exposure to religion when I was younger and experimented with a few different types. It was the vicious church going people at those institutions that turned me off. So many people play the part of devout *insert religion* and as soon as they're out the door, they're spewing venom all over each other. That is what I really don't like about institutions of worship. Then there are the people who use religion to persecute and judge others - and isn't that supposed to be the opposite of what they're taught??? Makes no sense at all to me. Unfortunately there are the counterparts to worshipers - I've known some good hearted pastors, preachers, w/e the title. I've also known some who really do preach judgement, ostracism, and hate. That gets me up on a soap-box. Who the h*ll do they think they are???

From a psychological standpoint, I can see why some people are drawn to religion. Those are a bunch of mental processes that I'm not at all interested in, though. I've never felt the "call" or whatever; it never struck home with me. Logically speaking I also find it difficult to swallow.

From an educational position, I find religions interesting. Once I watched an entirely too long documentary about the origins of religion. It is amazing to me how far religions have come today from what they were in the beginning. Heck it is amazing to me that so many people hate those of the Jewish faith even though nearly all major religions originated from Judaism. Humans really did butcher that evolution. But back to the origin - the mutation of the "good books" makes it clear (to me) that none of it ever had any semi-factual basis at all. It is all just made up IMO.

From an entirely different perspective, I have an odd sort of respect for some people who believe. Not that I want to join them, but I think it takes courage to have faith in this world. That is, if they're believing for the right reasons. Some people have very sad reasons. A lot of people were simply raised to believe there is no other option, which is disgusting on the part of society. Everyone should have a choice, and if they make the choice to believe for a reason other than fear of d*mnation then I think it would be more meaningful. Motivations aside, good for them if they can, I guess. It isn't my job or my desire to tell them what to believe. As long as they give me the same respect I give them and they aren't being openly hateful or shoving it down people's throats, I see no reason we can't all live together peaceably.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I do not like to label myself but when I do (when people ask) I am Wicca, a form of Paganism. I do not believe in any God nor do I do the whole baptismal thing and I do not attend Church. I believe in things I can use my senses on. I can see the earth (trees, nature, people, things like that), I can feel the wind, I can smell the flowers. So, I believe in Mother Earth, so that would make me Wiccan.

With that being said. I am not judgmental. If you are a different "religion" then what I a, fine. We all have our beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

May 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
We all have our beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that.
If only more people would adopt that creed!
IronMamma likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I was raised as a Catholic (my Dad's side. My Mum had no religion).
I wasn't into it. In fact me and my brothers did not like going to church. The only thing that was enjoyable for us there was the fact that our family members or friends went too.

Now, I have no religion. I am just me
Although, I do love Mother Earth
alittlelost and IronMamma like this.

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

May 5th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Same with me Gabbs, it's just when you love Mother Earth (like I do) you are called Wiccan, so that is what I say instead of explaining what I love.

May 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
DH grew up Catholic and I grew up Baptist. Now we are both Atheists.
IronMamma likes this.

May 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Question Kim. I am asking you because you do not believe in anything. Do you plan to teach Gabby there is nothing out there? I am not bashing you at all! I kinda don't believe in "anything" either. I'm more of a hippie. I am also asking because my Grandma was Lutheran, and she wanted us kids to go too church SOOOO bad, and we did a few times and I remember I hated it, so I told myself I would not shove my beliefs onto Drake. I will share them with him, but I would NEVER force them onto him. I think that is so messed up!

May 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Question Kim. I am asking you because you do not believe in anything. Do you plan to teach Gabby there is nothing out there? I am not bashing you at all! I kinda don't believe in "anything" either. I'm more of a hippie. I am also asking because my Grandma was Lutheran, and she wanted us kids to go too church SOOOO bad, and we did a few times and I remember I hated it, so I told myself I would not shove my beliefs onto Drake. I will share them with him, but I would NEVER force them onto him. I think that is so messed up!
I agree! My grandma is lutheran too and was always trying to shove it on us! I hated it. But now that she is 85 she doesn't care what we do! I will never do that to my kids either. I want them to choose and I don't care what they choose as long as they are happy.
alittlelost likes this.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
May 6th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Exactly! I do not care of Drake decided to be something different then myself. As long as HE is happy, then I am happy. DH's family is hardcore Christian and have shunned him because he is not. They have never met Drake, nor have they met me (on his Fathers side) and they dont even know where we live. His Mom will call us and tell him to pray...ok lady, enough! We do not shove anything onto you! I will NEVER understand why people find it SO important to shove there religion onto you if it differs from there own.
mama_2_Callen and alittlelost like this.

May 6th, 2013, 01:40 PM
klockert's Avatar Super Mommy
Until she is old enough to decide for herself we will teach her what we believe, which is obviously nothing. When and if the time comes she wants to explore religion be it one or many we will not oppose. We want her to be able to decide for herself and not limit any experience whether we agree or not.
mama_2_Callen and IronMamma like this.

May 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
That's exactly what I am going to do Kim. I will obviously share my beliefs, like the trees are good. BUT if Drake is like "this is crazy!" then he can explore.

May 6th, 2013, 04:12 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
Idk what I am, I do believe in God but I never really go to church. My ex (the twins dad) is really involved in his church. When we were dating I would go to church with him and the babies were "dedicated" there it's kinda like a baptism. I believe in God but I don't like religion if that makes sense.
mama_2_Callen and IronMamma like this.
May 6th, 2013, 04:17 PM
That does make sense. When you believe in a religion you are automatically labeled, and that is something I do not like. We can all believe what we want but not have a label on us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search