Meat

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Currently, not really, aside from the occasional seafood.

The best I ever felt in my life, physically and emotionally, was when I was vegan. However, I found the lifestyle really limiting, and to be honest, I LIKE meat. Tacos, for example, are one of my favorite foods! So, I stopped being vegan.

So for many, many, many years now, I've been eating meat. Love steak if it's cooked right (I'm picky with my steak) and I love chicken wings. Not a fan of pork usually. I also like lamb and veal and all kinds of things.

Anyway, recently my husband was advised to stop eating red meat for medical reasons. That is his favorite kind of meat, so for him he figured he might as well eat no meat, and we decided it would be easiest if our entire family followed along.

So, two weeks ago, we (kind of) cut meat from our diet. Within a week I was feeling so much more energy than I had in years. I think on the whole I eat healthier now. I make sure my family is getting all the proper nutrients. We still eat fish sometimes and we don't avoid meat like the plague, we just don't buy it or order it. Like the other day, my friend's mom brought chicken soup to our house, and we all ate it. And it was very good

I have to say I thought my husband was joking at first when he said we should stop eating meat. He was seriously the biggest "Meat Guy" ever. If you knew him, you'd think I was lying when I said not eating meat was his idea. (Well, the red meat part was recommended for health reasons, BUT everyone who knows my husband would have expected him to call the doctor and idiot and eat the meat anyway).

Last edited by alittlelost; May 23rd, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
May 23rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I have to say I thought my husband was joking at first when he said we should stop eating meat. He was seriously the biggest "Meat Guy" ever. If you knew him, you'd think I was lying when I said not eating meat was his idea. (Well, the red meat part was recommended for health reasons, BUT everyone who knows my husband would have expected him to call the doctor and idiot and eat the meat anyway).
My husband is the same way. If he ever told me that he was ready to stop eating meat I think I'd just drop dead from the shock.
His mum feels so sorry for him because I very rarely cook meat for him(especially when I'm pregnant!) And whenever's he's hurt or sick she brings over that nasty fried chicken you buy from the deli in a box.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I could go without meat and I've done it before but chicken wings are my weakness lol. I'm not a big fan of pork and I don't eat a lot of red meat
May 23rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
DH loves meat too, but something just *sometimes* he will say he wants to not eat meat...but then he will.

Katy, I am kinda the same except chicken breast. I do not eat any meat on the bone and it HAS to be the breast. I cannot stand dark meat.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

May 26th, 2013, 05:33 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do.

May 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Ok ladies, I have a question for you. Do you eat products with gelatin in it?

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

May 28th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Like spam?? Yuck no way barf.

May 28th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are meat products with gelatin in it? Eww! Or do you mean jello? Cuz I hate jello.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
May 28th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Ok ladies, I have a question for you. Do you eat products with gelatin in it?
If I know something has gelatin or other meat products in them I prefer not to eat them, but I occasionally do, though I would never knowingly eat broth or bouillon from meat, or anything flavored, even after the bones or meat are removed.

May 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Jello IS meat and so is gelatin unless you eat Kosher gelatin which is made from plants. But gelatin is in jello, fruit snacks, candies, things like that and it's made with left over meat...including horse head... :gag: When I found that out I almost puked as I was eating those little raspberry candy things. But yeah, it's disgusting. I feel like you cannot get away from gross stuff unless you have a ton of money to spend on the healthier foods.

May 29th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Destiny
Quote:
Jello IS meat and so is gelatin unless you eat Kosher gelatin which is made from plants. But gelatin is in jello, fruit snacks, candies, things like that and it's made with left over meat...including horse head... :gag: When I found that out I almost puked as I was eating those little raspberry candy things. But yeah, it's disgusting. I feel like you cannot get away from gross stuff unless you have a ton of money to spend on the healthier foods.
I think that's my issue. When I lived at home I was a really strict vegetarian, but now that I have a family to support I can't afford to. I won't eat things that are mostly gelatin (marshmallows, jello, gummies) but if it's an ingredient I wouldn't consider (pop-tarts, some peanuts, chocolates, yogurt) I just try not to read the ingredient list beforehand.
IronMamma likes this.

May 29th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh ok. Show's how much I pay attention. Now that I know it really grosses me out. Yuck! I should pay closer attention to what we eat but like you said its so expensive and we just can't afford to avoid everything that's bad.

May 29th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
^ the expense gets me. We went grocery shopping yesterday and it was so expensive because I went to our local all natural place. Buying organic and gmo free costs an arm and a leg. I said to DH "I bet I could eat 2 meals a day at McDonald's for an entire month and spend less money than we do on groceries" why is eating healthy so expensive?!?

May 30th, 2013, 04:37 AM
We went to this local organic shop here in town and there were tubs of natural noodles and they were $16.00 a pound! WHAT! I could go to Frys and buy a pound of any noodles for .99 THIS is a huge reason I do not eat "healthier". It's insane the cost of food.

I also do not eat anything with (as long as it's in my hands, like I won't turn something down at a guests house) with Aspartame in it, same with BHT. BHT is just absolutely disgusting! It's freakin embalming fluid!

May 30th, 2013, 06:09 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never heard Jello was meat, but I had heard that jello/gelatin is made with pectin (which is ground up animal BONES) unless you buy the kind with fruit pectin.
May 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I have always heard that about jello, and never really thought about it until like recently.

What I don't get is why they don't just make it all kosher gelatin. I would so much rather eat plants then animal left overs...gross!
alittlelost likes this.

May 31st, 2013, 05:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah I don't really like gelatin but Kellsey is addicted to fruit snacks. I try to buy "healthy" fruit snacks but she won't eat them. lol. I agree Jess just thinking about eating ground up animal stuff grosses me out!!

May 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
We went to this local organic shop here in town and there were tubs of natural noodles and they were $16.00 a pound! WHAT! I could go to Frys and buy a pound of any noodles for .99 THIS is a huge reason I do not eat "healthier". It's insane the cost of food.

I also do not eat anything with (as long as it's in my hands, like I won't turn something down at a guests house) with Aspartame in it, same with BHT. BHT is just absolutely disgusting! It's freakin embalming fluid!
what is bht, I've never heard of that before.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
June 1st, 2013, 12:20 AM
BHT is embalming fluid. Its the SAME fluid used in bodies when they die...DISGUSTING!

June 3rd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar omg shoes
I love meat, and will probably always eat it. But I have started limiting how much meat we have, and we definitely take it easy on red meat, because my fiance' has a condition where too much iron makes him ache and feel sick.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi and Brigham.
Excited for Elliott Tesla in June 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search