Meat

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2013, 04:04 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Does anyone here raise there own meat?

My Grandpa did (my Moms Dad) and I always thought that was "gross" when I was a kid. Now I think that's awesome. I would love to raise my own poultry BUT they have to be where I cannot see them or hear them because then I would not eat them.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

June 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Gelatin is a mixture of peptides and proteins, extracted from the skin, crushed boiled horns, hoofs and bones, connective tissue, organs and some intestines of cattle, chickens, pigs horses...

It's in most all gummy candies, marshmallows, gelatin desserts, cosmetics, and some ice cream, yogurt and dips.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
June 4th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
We are considering raising our own chickens. I definitely want my boys to learn about where food comes from so they can make their own decisions about eating it. I personally am not bothered by eating something with a name, but they might be and that's fine. My DF is also addicted to the idea of having goats, so I guess we will have goats too.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

June 4th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I saw a documentary one time about a girl who lived in a very remote area, hours from any vet… Her cat was over 20 years old, and was suffering… So she decided she would “put him down” by severing his spinal column. (She knew how to do this properly) It was instant, and there was no suffering… She then went on to make a purse out of her cat… I was shocked…

Then she went on to say that during the mad cow disease craze in the UK, where they were killings millions of cows, the media zeroed in on a cow that was still alive and it’s body was being moved by a bull dozer. Viewers went mad, they gave this cow a name, and started a save the (cows name) campaign…. She said that because they had given that animal a name, it was suddenly like people cared… It now had a face, a name, a soul, and wasn’t just a number any longer… Only then were people outraged.

People make purses and clothing out of leather all the time but because those animals didn’t have names, and weren’t pets, it didn’t matter… People were disgusted that she made a purse from her loyal long-time pet. She found it perplexing how something as simple as a name could change someone’s idea of whether something was cruel or not….

Is an animal only worthy if we deem it so by giving it a name? And an identity, essentially? She may have been a little eccentric, but she had a valid point, and she really made me think.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
June 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Jello IS meat and so is gelatin unless you eat Kosher gelatin which is made from plants. But gelatin is in jello, fruit snacks, candies, things like that and it's made with left over meat...including horse head... :gag: When I found that out I almost puked as I was eating those little raspberry candy things. But yeah, it's disgusting. I feel like you cannot get away from gross stuff unless you have a ton of money to spend on the healthier foods.
Actually even kosher gelatin is made with fish, so not ok for vegans...
IronMamma likes this.

June 5th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindyRambo View Post
Actually even kosher gelatin is made with fish, so not ok for vegans...
From all the research that I have done I have found that it's only made with plants, and plants from the ocean. Am I being mis-informed?

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

June 5th, 2013, 04:50 AM
What is kosher gelatine?
from the Vegetarian Resource Group: Kosher gelatin can be made with fish bones, and/or beef skins. Contrary to assumptions, it is also considered kosher to use it with dairy products. Kosher law is very complex and the bones and hides used in gelatin production are considered pareve. The general meaning of pareve refers to foods that are neither milk nor meat, and many people assume this means that the product is vegetarian. However, OU pareve certified ingredients can have animal products, such as fish, eggs, and gelatin, in them. "Kosher Gelatin Marshmallows: Glatt Kosher and 'OU-Pareve'," an article that appeared in Kashrus Magazine, explains the distinctions. A quote from the article is as follows: "...since the gelatin product is from hides or bones - not real flesh - and has undergone such significant changes, it is no longer considered 'fleishig' (meat) but 'pareve', and can be eaten with dairy products."

Is there vegan gelatine?
from a reader in Germany: "Gelatine" is a substance made of animal bones and other parts of the animal's body. So if there's a product with "gelatine", it can't be vegan. But there exists a big variety of substances which are vegan an which have the same properties as gelatine: Cellulose (Amid), Agar-Agar, Biobin, Guar, Xanthan, Carob fruit and others. (Unfortunately I do not know the exact english names, but maybe this will help you already.). So if you read on the ingredient list that gelatine is used, then you can be sure that this product is NOT vegan. But if one or more of the other mentioned subsances appear on the list, you can be sure that you can eat them even as vegan.

Gelatin

So basically to answer your question there are gelatin like substances that contain no meat or fish or poultry however they act very well as gelatin, since they technically are not. Confusing lol

Frequently Asked Questions - FOOD INGREDIENTS -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

What is gelatin made from?

Gelatin is derived on a commercial scale in the United States today from, (in order of predominance), pigskins, cattle bones, and cattle hides. A very small percentage used today is from fish bones and skins. It is an animal protein with many functional properties in food applications such as a gelling agent, a thickener, an emulsifier, a whipping agent, a stabilizer, and substance that imparts a smooth mouth feel to foods. Gelatin is often used in confectionery, such as gummy bears and marshmallows; desserts including Jell-O®; "lite" or low-fat foods including some margarines; and dairy products such as yogurt and ice cream. Gelatin is also used in hard and soft gel capsules for the pharmaceutical industry. Gelatin is always animal-derived although there are several all-vegetable gelatin alternatives available today that may be erroneously referred to as "vegetable gelatin" or something similar.

Click here to see our most up-to-date information on gelatin in our Guide to Food Ingredients

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is kosher gelatin vegetarian?

Kosher gelatin can be made with fish bones, and/or beef or pork skins. Contrary to assumptions, it is also considered kosher to use it with dairy products.

Kosher law is very complex and the bones and hides used in gelatin production are considered pareve. The general meaning of pareve refers to foods that are neither milk nor meat, and many people assume this means that the product is vegetarian. However, OU pareve certified ingredients can have animal products, such as fish, eggs, and gelatin, in them. "Kosher Gelatin Marshmallows: Glatt Kosher and 'OU-Pareve'," an article that appeared in Kashrus Magazine, explains the distinctions. A quote from the article follows:

"...since the gelatin product is from hides or bones - not real flesh - and has undergone such significant changes, it is no longer considered 'fleishig' (meat) but 'pareve', and can be eaten with dairy products."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 5th, 2013, 06:02 AM
It's so crazy how people can get different answers for everything! I guess since it's kosher it does not always mean just plants...I cannot believe it. I have always thought that from my research.

June 5th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I am officially grossed out after this thread.

June 5th, 2013, 07:59 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
mmm

June 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
My family does eat meat.

Leslie

June 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskk826 View Post
I am officially grossed out after this thread.
This is how I have felt for a long time now but have no way around it at the time. And, I am sorry!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search