Talking

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
MaryBeth was a very "late" talker. Our daycare had all the children evaluated to get a couple of kids they knew really needed help the help they needed. I recieved papers that said my child need further evaluation. I had a discussion with my daycare provider/director and MB's doc and we agreed that it was a lack of want to talk. She could communicate her wants just fine, she just wanted to speak in sentences.

At 2.5 its a constant stream of toddler sentences. And still only when she wants to.

July 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
Yup school starts the year the kiddo turns 7 (we go by the calender year for schools). There is an optional preschool the year before that but I dont think they focus too much on academics. I'll know more about it in a year hehy.
I just read this very interesting article about the Finnish education system: What Americans Keep Ignoring About Finland's School Success - Anu Partanen - The Atlantic The system sounds great to me, especially as a teacher. When can I move there?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 13th, 2013, 08:52 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmile View Post
I never had a doubt in my mind that Aiden wasn't normal. I didn't feel that he was slow. He just didn't see the point in talking.
This is basically my thought. I guess I was curious to see what other Mammas had to say. And I appreciate all your input ladies.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

August 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every kid is different, yes.
And a child's receptive language and expressive language can be at different developmental stages.
All my kids were talking by 9-15 months (my oldest, however, stopped talking after a bad vaccine reaction and didn't talk again until 4.5).

However, if you are concerned, you should contact early steps. People will try to appease you and make you feel like it's normal, and I understand why they do that. And in most cases, it IS normal. However, if you feel like it's not, trust your gut, because early intervention can ONLY help it CAN'T hurt. If a child qualifies for speech therapy but they didn't really need it (not that those parents could ever know for sure...) it's not going to hurt. but if a child doesn't get speech therapy that they DO need and the parent waits until the child is 2 or 3 or later, because 'so and so's friend's cousin's uncle's brother in law's wife's step child from her second marriage didn't talk until he was 4 and now he won't shut up' then what can happen is the early intervention window is missed, and that makes it harder for the child. Speech therapy is generally fun, too, and most places include the mom in the therapy.
Quantum_Leap likes this.
February 25th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone, my son is 23 months and doesn't say much. He says words like hot, meow, roar, ack(quack), baa. He understands perfectly, follows instructions and is outgoing. He has started doing 8pc puzzles and met/surpassed all other milestones. His doctor says not to worry. Any helpful advice? Oh, He seems to hum words and has even done pretend play between two stuffed animals humming.

Last edited by genevieve.s@live.com; February 25th, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search