Talking

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
IronMamma's Avatar -Child Advocate
I have a serious question, and please don't say "Every baby is different" because I hear that all the time and I KNOW that is true but that does not make me feel secure. Is it normal for Drake to be NOT talking, like at all at 19 months? He says "Dada" and that's it. He makes TONS of noises but nothing too clear. He does however understand things like "no no baby", "Let's go ni night", "too close baby, step back please" (if he is too close to a curb on a walk), "switch" (when I am getting him in his car seat and he has a bottle I ask him to switch his hands with the bottle), "let's go outside" (he will walk to the door and sit down and life his feet for his shoes to be put on) but no talking, at all. I have to admit I am a little "worries" because I feel like he is too "old" to not be talking.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

When you know better, you do better. And when you do better, you know HINTA.

July 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
The only thing i was gonna say you said not to! But it is true!!!

July 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicholas really didnt talk much until late.At his 18 month checkup the doc had us call early intervention because he didnt say much. We met with them, and decided against using their services. About 2ish months later he started TALKING. Actual words instead of babble. Now he never shuts up.

Some of the tips they gave me from early intervention were to just talk to him constantly. Give him choices, like, red shirt or blue shirt? And let him tell you. Wait for him to tell you. Apple or orange? Etc. Make noises, like "thats a cat, cat says meow", "thats a car, car says vroom vroom". It all seemed to help.

The biggest thing I *think* helped was really getting him around other kids. He went to my MIL's daycare a couple days a week and thats when he really started picking things up. Maybe some playdates??

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I talk to him constantly. I am with him all day and no one else, so he is basically in every single conversation I have with myself. We have talked about the Dr but I really do not want to take him, we don't even take him to his monthly check ups since we are vaccine free and the ONLY thing they do is vaccines and height and weight. We are in the room for literally under 3 minutes. It's retarded. He however is never around kids his age. I mean, we go to the park but there is no contact with other kids. I do not have any friends here, nor are there any activities to do with him. Actually there is ONE, toddler gymboree but that is $200 a week here....He is very smart, like he listens and knows what he wants, etc, he just will not talk.

July 6th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah, that is my issue since I moved here... no friends, cant find any play groups, there is no little gym, etc. The parks are so little interaction. It sucks.

In NY it was just Nicholas and I all day too, and I think that was part of the problem. When they start hearing other people/kids talk, they seem to pick it up more. From what I've seen.

You can just call early intervention and tell them you think your son needs some help. In the very least they can come evaluate him, give you some tips, and you never have to see them again lol. Its all up to you. Thats what we did.

What about the library? Do they do any kids activities?

July 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I mean I guess I could. I am just against Dr's. I am all for medicine to help with something but nothing else. I am horrible I know. I will have to talk more to DH about it.

We have gone to the library tons of times. They do have an activity every Tuesday morning, it's books they read. But Drake sit still? LOL! Yea right. He is a wild child. All he wants to do is run around, play with rocks, make noises and explore. He is NOT the sit down type of kid.

July 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
lol Nicholas either! We dont do library events for that reason. One library about 15mins though, has a 2-4yr old playgroup twice a month I have yet to hit up.

The early intervention is just like speech therapy. They dont do meds from my understanding.

July 6th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I guess I just think that Drake can't do it. He does not sit still for N-O-T-H-I-N-G! Sometimes changing his diaper is like changing a lions diaper in a tornado...LOL! I feel like a Dr would not do anything. DO they just like...talk to him?

July 6th, 2013, 07:36 PM
When early intervention came to eval Nicholas, they just came to our house. There were 3 ladies. They sat on the floor and played with him. Did puzzles. Talked to him. Actually got him to say some words I didnt know he could say.
They said if we continued with the program the therapist basically comes and plays, its not like formal therapy because of the age. Sometimes you can meet at the park and such. But we chose not to use them because we felt he was fine.

July 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM
See that's us too. I feel like he is fine. He is thriving, so smart, funny and is active. Just no talking.

July 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Id say give him some time. If by like, two, hes not saying any words, then be more proactive. Was my stance. Then all the sudden he just started getting it.

July 6th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my daughter was almost completely mute til about 2 -3 months after her 2nd birthday.
Her vocabulary exploded almost overnight.
If He is understanding, aware and meeting other milestones i wouldn't worry.
You can always get an evaluation if it puts your mind to ease, but I am the type to believe a parent knows their child better than anyone.

If he is behind on MANY milestones, and showing signs of specific problems then find a resource to help you pinpoint the issue so you find what you child needs.

Trust your gut, but don't worry due to 'comparing' to other children.

Do you do baby signing at all?

I find this really helped both my kids communicate better before they used words.
I don't know what i would have done without the help of a handful of signs.
My daughter preferred to use signs til she was about 4- now she talks 24/7- even if she is alone in a room- its just a never ending stream of chatter. ( catching up on those first two years of being so quiet I guess! Hahaha!)
July 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I kinda told myself that if by two he was not talking then I would take action.

Yes, we baby sign, to a point. He knows "more" so he will do that when he wants a bottle or more dinner. So I KNOW his brain is working, he just does not want to talk. My Mom told me that he does not talk because I make it so he does not have too. I don't know whether that was an insult or a compliment.

It's actually nice to know someone else's toddler did not talk until after two. Makes me feel a little better. And I know, do not compare, but it's so hard. Not that I actually "compare" I just notice what other kids are doing and I feel like I will feel this way until he does start to talk. And when he does, omg you ladies will know for sure!
Eowyn likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if it's bothering you a lot, then maybe it would be worth it to get an evaluation to ease your mind. But I agree with the other ladies that some kids just talk later. Our nephew is a late talker as well, he only said a handful of words before he turned 2, and still doesn't talk a ton at 2.5. But his parents/doctor aren't concerned about it.

It sounds like he is doing great!
July 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Thank you! He is doing great, just not talking. Dave and I always joke about how he can understand us and one day he is going to burst out saying something like "Alright already, i'll talk!" But, I am not really "concerned" it's just "hard" I guess for lack of words hearing peoples comments and then I see babies his age and younger talking. Like my evil MIL called a couple weeks ago and asked if Drake was talking and Dave said no, and she paused and got real serious and was like "You're serious?...he is NOT talking...interesting" like she was disappointed.

July 7th, 2013, 06:18 PM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
My friends daughter is 22 months and only says uh oh. Everyones different.

July 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM
MIL's are just annoying. Dont sweat it.

July 7th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I have the worst MIL ever...she always says something. Like for example, the other day, well no wait, a few weeks ago. Everything seems like the other day but anyways, lol, we were talking on the phone for a minute and she asked what Drake liked to eat and I started to name a few things and then I said yogurt (his favorite) and she says "He likes yogurt?...that's interesting...ok well David didn't like yogurt...can I talk to David?" Are you serious...it's like if Drake does anything that he didn't she acts like Drake is not his...WTH!

July 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM
lol that is so odd
My MIL favors her granddaughter over Nicholas. Just like she favored my SIL over my DH.

July 7th, 2013, 08:30 PM
That is so rude. You should not favor anyone.

But anyways, lol, I am going to just relax and let Drake do this thing. I don't wanna stress over it because I know there is nothing seriously wrong.
angelsailor288 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search