Flying

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Hearing about this plane crash and the two girls that got killed just keeps reminding me why I don't fly! It's scary! I mean a GIANT metal thing that weighs like a million pounds and TWO people controlling it...NO THANK YOU!

Have you been following the crash?
Do you like to fly?
What was your longest flight?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

July 9th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love flying. Im more afraid of idiot drivers. I can't tell how many times a day I almost get run into cuz people just don't pay attention. We flew to pa from Florida the kids loved it! I'd much rather fly than drive, its faster and even though plane crashes are scary you are way more likely to get into a car crash than a plane crash.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
July 9th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
The reason you hear about plane crashes on TV is that they're SO rare. You don't usually hear about car crashes on TV because they happen so often everywhere every day that it's just a non-event. But the truth is that going anywhere in a car is FAR more dangerous than flying. The most dangerous part of a plane trip is the drive to the airport!

We lived in Kuwait for two years and in China for two, so I've made multiple trans-oceanic flights with both kids (often without DH!). DS #1 made his first trans-Atlantic flight, from Kuwait to Seattle, when he was only one month old. That was an ordeal, let me tell you! We were still just getting the hang of breastfeeding, and that's really tough to do on a plane. He cried most of the way. But now, he's an old pro at flying! He's the only kid I've ever seen who, when he sits on the floor and plays airplane with his toys, will say "And now, they have to go through passport control...." He knows the whole drill!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
July 9th, 2013, 06:58 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
I have not been following the crash.
I don't mind flying at all. The longest flight was not very long at all maybe 3/4 hours? I dont know

July 9th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I've paid a bit of attention to it. I don't mind flying.. It freaks me out some but doesn't keep me from doing it. I've flown over 100 times. Longest flight was NY to Germany, but I used to fly NY to AZ every few months for 5 years.
I agree driving is much more dangerous.. I hate it because of all of the idiot drivers out there.

July 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I would rather drive then fly ANY DAY! Dave is the same way. I told myself YEARS ago I would never ever fly again, then in September we flew to NYC to see my Father, and it was a connected flight BOTH ways and every take off I cried and so did Dave. Don't tell him I said that! But, Drake did earn his wings for his baby book. I thought that was pretty neat. We have driven across the country many MANY times. Our first road trip was from Arizona to New Mexico, CO, then PA, then to NYC all when Drake was 15 days old. And then we drove back. It was awesome! I have seen so many things. I would much rather be on land where I can mostly control everything.

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer

July 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't mind flying. When my parents got divorced I would fly by myself from California to New York and I started doing that when I was 8. I haven't been on a plane with the twins yet but I was thinking of going to see my mom sometime this summer.
July 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM
That was about the first time I flew alone too Katy, I think I was 8 ish, maybe 9. We have been flying with Drake 4 times if you count the two connects. He was 10 months on the way there, and almost 12 on the way back. The way there was easy. He just sat there, read books with us, played and slept. The way back was a lot harder because he was fully walking and all he wanted to do was get up and walk. We actually let him walk a few times up and down the aisles. It was really cute. All the staff loved him!

July 12th, 2013, 12:00 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I haven't been following it, no.
The longest flight I've taken was from Christchurch to Brisbane soooo about 3-4 hours.
I don't mind flying

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

July 12th, 2013, 05:33 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't get news on the TV (we just have netflix and hulu), but I did keep up with online articles.
I do not enjoy flying. I get air sick on commercial jets. I avoid it when possible. I'm so grateful that we're "just" a 14 hour drive from home. lol. I think my longest flight was 4 hours.
Meanwhile my husband likes to fly upside down. Oy.

July 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never had been on an airplane until I was 19, and since then I've flown quite a bit.

I haven't flown in maybe 2 years now though.

I had heard that the girls killed in the crash were actually run over, but I don't know much, as it was never widely reported here.

I have no reservations about flying being a safe mode of transportation, you really are more likely to die in a car accident than in a plane, and truly accidents happen everywhere and from anything, who's to say you wouldn't fall off your bike and kill yourself... It could happen, but that doesn't mean you don't ride a bike, because it's "too dangerous".
I don't enjoy flying really, take off and landing make me anxious, and I've been on some really rough flights, but over all I'm very happy to have been able to travel overseas, and long distances in north america by plane.
Arthur probably won't fly until he's a teen ager. We "road trip" for the experience, but plan a trip to Europe once our kids are highschool age. So I'm looking forward to that!

July 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I also heard that they were run over, but the paramedics! How crazy is that?! I wonder if they are going to get charged.

I also do not have the news, I do not have "tv". We have Amazon Prime. I have been hearing things and reading some articles.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search