Public or home

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 04:57 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Do you send your kids to public/private school or do you home school? Why did you choose what you did? If you homeschool what program do you follow? Do you have your kids involved in extracurricular activities so they mingle with other kids their age?

August 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
M is in a private home-based preschool that is just around the corner. She is one of the youngest kids, they start around age 2 (or walking age for kids with older siblings attending, they often want to join their big sibling even though they are so little). They go up to age 5, or until time for kindergarten.

What first drew me to this place was the yard. I had noticed the school's sign during walks around the neighborhood, so I peeked through the fence and saw the most awesome rough-and-tumble yard, climbing trees, a few swings including a chair-like one, sandbox, a hill, lots of random sticks and large blocks and hay bales and shovels and whatnot, a chicken coop and bunny hutch, flowers growing all over the fence, and then a big yurt which is the classroom. I just thought, that is where I would want to play, if I was a kid again. It spoke to me. So it was basically all from that... my friend was sending her older kid there and loved it, I learned more about them and found out they are a really cool Waldorf-y type place (and learned more about Waldorf and Steiner's philosophy on childhood), and we could afford it, and M seemed REALLY ripe for some more in-depth social connections, especially with older kids who could help keep her in line a bit. Waldorf is very communal and there's a lot of group-oriented activities, but there's also a lot of unstructured free play, which I feel very strongly about and wanted for M. I felt like she was ready to go out into the world a bit and develop a sense of inner self apart from me. So basically it all just seemed like it was meant to be. I am really grateful that we found this place. It's been a lifesaver during this time when I've been recovering from the birth injury.

August 28th, 2013, 08:04 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
This year Liam will be going to a public preschool. It's actually a technical preschool, where they are taught by high-schoolers who aspire to be teachers. I love the concept (lots of interaction, lots if unstructured playtime). And I was part of one of those programs when I was a high schooler. (The high schoolers are supervised by teachers themselves). I will see how happy I am with it. It's perfect for his age (just a couple hours a day, three days a week), since it's mostly socialization at this stage.

Although if we remotely had a preschool like Shens, I would totally go that route!! So cool!

We chose public, ultimately, because a great portion of school is social and interaction-based. Learning to navigate a world of people unlike oneself, who you might not like or get along with. It's about learning in various ways and understanding that others learn in different ways. It's about introducing my kids to many types of people and helping them handle questions and concerns about things they learn/hear. I know we can handle aspects of learning at home, making sure they learn in various enjoyable ways, helping in areas they don't excel in. But we decided against homeschooling for the social aspects. Even getting my child involved in local groups while homeschooling them still left me with questions of if they would learn to deal with people truly different from our beliefs and ideals, which I think is important. Since most of the rest of life is not learning based, but interaction based.

But I actually thought long and hard about it, looking at various aspects, researching local schools, and a lot of internal questions. I found it to be one of my harder parental decisions...one that I will absolutely re-evaluate often. If something isn't working, I am certainly prepared to switch to homeschooling. I believe private school would be my last choice. But an option if the need was presented.

Oh, Liam does "after school" programs: singing and gymnastics one evening a week. It's plenty for now. We will see what he decides to peruse when the time comes. I am not looking to overbook him once he starts school.
August 29th, 2013, 12:41 AM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
We will be Home Schooling and we cannot wait. It's something we discussed before we even TTC. We are not going to follow a certain program, we plan to make our own. I seriously cannot wait to Home School. I am not rushing it but dang am I excited!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

August 29th, 2013, 04:19 AM
sareymac's Avatar Mommy to Gary & Adalyn
We will be sending Gary to Public school. Luckily our school district is very good. Lots of extracurriculars. We both had good experiences with public school. So that's our plan.

August 29th, 2013, 04:40 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
We are on the fence but still have plenty of time. Dh an I both like the idea of homeschooling but agree there is little socialization which we feel is very important. I am looking into a local Sudbury school which seems to hopefully be the best of both worlds.. So far the only downfall is no school related sports.

August 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran
My oldest, who is 5 1/2, goes to private school. She went there last year for Pre-K as well and we absolutely love it. The public schools here are horrible. If we wanted to send her to public school, we would have to move about 30 minutes away, which is not in the cards. We are lucky enough to have both a set of grandparents and a set of great-grandparents who pay for her education.

As far as extracurricular activities, she does gymnastics and swimming. In the spring, she also did T-ball and that kind of got to be too much. We either had activities every day of the week, or two activities in one day. She did love it though!
August 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are in a very tough situation.... homeschooling would be by far the best educational decision for us, however because of our already very isolated living situation, I can't justify the hit Arthur would take socially by doing this. My current plan is Public school with supplemental education at home...

A lot can change in 5 years, but they way I'm looking at it now, our kids go for half a day mon-fri, or maybe 9-230, and then I pull them out to teach at home for a few hours... I really believe you can teach in 2 hours what get learned in a full day at school because of all the distractions.

August 29th, 2013, 11:21 AM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just talking about this with the twins dad the other day. I think homeschooling is great, my younger siblings are homeschooled and they love it but teaching is not one of my talents. I'm really bad at explaining things and I have to work. The twins dad wants them to go to a small Christian school in the area. I think it's too small and I don't really know if I want them at a Christian school. The public schools and the charter schools in our area are pretty nice. So I don't know but I still have some time
August 29th, 2013, 10:08 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Our kids are in public school. It's what we feel is best for us. I have little patience as it is, I'm not a teacher in an academic sense and I want to enjoy my children and for me homeschooling would hinder that. Private school is out because its not in the cards financially. When we get orders we very carefully pick our school district within our area. Katelynn is in kindergarten this year and even on her take home paper it talks about what a strong believer she is in positive reinforcement. I love the kids school and to be quite honest I have 4 kids and I enjoy the break from my older 2. And we enjoy each other more as a whole.
crunchywannabe likes this.

August 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids aren't in school yet but they will be going to public school. I feel the same as navywifey. I wouldn't be able to teach them and have patience. It is what is best for our family.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
August 31st, 2013, 08:56 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Avery will go to public school. I will have a career and won't be able to be home to teach her. There are no private schools here, the nearest private school is at least 1.5 hours drive.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 31st, 2013, 09:14 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
Just to let you ladies know there is a TON of socialization with Home School. Many people I have talked too have told me that is their number one worry, and it should not be. There are tons of weekly and daily groups that get together, at the zoo, parks, the store, library or what have you. I personally think Home School is better because kids are less likely to be influenced by things and if he or she is stuck on something you can spend however long it takes for them to understand it. It's kinda hard when you have 30 other kids who get it to stay on it for one kid. I am not knocking public school at all. DH and I both graduated from them, and so did all of my siblings. I worked with three girls before I got pregnant and they were all Home Schooled and they all love it. I am not bashing anyone! Just know, that in Home School, socialization is not an issue.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

August 31st, 2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMamma View Post
Just to let you ladies know there is a TON of socialization with Home School. Many people I have talked too have told me that is their number one worry, and it should not be. There are tons of weekly and daily groups that get together, at the zoo, parks, the store, library or what have you. I personally think Home School is better because kids are less likely to be influenced by things and if he or she is stuck on something you can spend however long it takes for them to understand it. It's kinda hard when you have 30 other kids who get it to stay on it for one kid. I am not knocking public school at all. DH and I both graduated from them, and so did all of my siblings. I worked with three girls before I got pregnant and they were all Home Schooled and they all love it. I am not bashing anyone! Just know, that in Home School, socialization is not an issue.
It depends on where you live! Like in my town here, there are TONS of home schoolers, there are special clubs and classes and groups and field trips and things like that, it is very organized and easy to get involved. If I ended up HSing I would probably help lead some special math classes, environmental science classes, and things like that I wouldn't worry about socializing my kids.

BUT if we still lived in Mississippi, the only HS types around there are super duper religious type people, like Jesus Camp types if you've seen that documentary, which is not my style (understatement of the year lol). I would be totally on my own if I wanted to HS in a modern secular pro-science type way, and it would be tough to get quality social opportunities for my kids, especially since we didn't go to church.

August 31st, 2013, 10:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yeah, if we had a zoo, park, store, or library, maybe there would be opportunity for socialization, but we don't... there just isn't any options for Arthur to be around groups of kids outside of a public school setting. It's one of those things that really does work better in some areas than in others. I would have really liked to homeschool, but it wouldn't be fair to my kids.

August 31st, 2013, 10:16 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
This is not my concern. My concern is giving them the best education and honestly they would not get that from me teaching them. We are starting our 2nd year in public school and my kids are thriving, in kindergarten work is individualized based on their skill set. In first grade so far David's class do individualized work, as well as group lead centers, and they have positive reenforcement jars. So the class works together as a whole to fill a marble jar for a reading reward day. They get to eat snacks, bring their favorite books, blankets and pillows to read together. They also have group goals for a reward and individual behavior goals. They are graded based, on at risk, improving, approaching mastery, and mastered goal. As I said in my previous post I am loving my time away from them, to be honest it's making me a better mother.
mama_2_Callen likes this.

September 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicholas is in a day care/preschool right now. Its honestly not the best in the world as far as education but its what we can afford. Id LOVE to send him to this one that would be awesome but its like $1700 a month. There is no montessori around here, period.

Im honestly terrified of sending him to public school. I think its a bunch of brainwashing. Cant afford private school and I just dont have the patience for homeschooling. So I wont have much choice.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Ryan goes to public school and I supplement his education at home. Liam is homeschooled.

Leslie

September 4th, 2013, 05:14 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
School is for learning not socializing anyway. If a kids only social interaction is in school, they learn to socialize instead of learn. They are the bottom ring employee that hangs out at the water cooler and calls in shake sick days I stead of doing their work. I much prefer for school to be about work and social groups to be for socializing. We don't participate in homeschool groups here because of the religious factor, but we connect with other families, including families who use public schools, for play dates. And we also have our kids enrolled in extra curricular activities, where they make the most friends. The other side of it is school forces kids together who dot want to be together. Remember getting bullied is a social situation too. Not all socializing is fun for everyone involved. I enjoy helping my child have control over who they socialize with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
September 4th, 2013, 06:03 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I am currently homeschooling Claire for preschool.

We move every 3-4 years and will continue to do that until Claire is 12. We will reevaluate the educational opportunities available to us every time we move. Where we live now, private schools are a long drive and ridiculously expensive, and the public schools are awful...homeschool is the obvious choice.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search