babywearing

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I need suggestions for a baby carrier. I figure im gonna wear this baby a lot since Callen and Kellsey will be riding in the double stroller. I really don't want a wrap. I tried one with the other kids and I just don't get it. I had an ergo with Kellsey but she only liked it for a couple months so I sold it. I don't want to spend tons of money and I don't want anything thats too hot. Even though it will be February it gets hot by end of march in Florida so I don't want the baby to overheat. I was thinking a mei tei or something but im pretty clueless about carriers! Thanks!

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
September 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Lets see.. We LOVE our maya ring sling it is my go to carrier. We also have a beco 2, ktan, littlefrog woven, moby, and diy gauze woven. The beco and maya are both great for quick ups and downs. I prefer the ring sling when out and about shopping, the beco for hikes, the woven for walks and around the house. The ktan is great when L is fighting sleep or I will be sitting and standing over and over because I can position him so as to not crush his legs when I sit.
We are buying a std/std kinderpack and tula as my christmas present because my long 5 month old has almost outgrown the beco now.
What about a wrap conversion mei tai wcmt?
HTH!

September 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh babywearing, yay We have: a maya wrap ring sling, an Ergo performance (it is made of mostly nylon-ish material and is a lot cooler in the heat than a normal ergo), a Boba, a Babyhawk mei tai, a woven wrap, and a water wrap. Too many carriers is just enough for me!! I like different things at different stages.

I got the woven too late in the game for M, she was old enough to fight it and be a problem (about 10 months old) and I couldn't get her to cooperate enough for me to get over the learning curve. BUT it is my FAVORITE with G... it takes longer to put on but is by far the most comfortable carrier of all. It took maybe 5-10 different occasions of attempting to use it before I got the hang of it and developed a wrapping technique that works for me, but now that I'm over the hump, I love love love it. I watched a lot of videos on youtube to learn how to do it.

I had thought that the mei tai would be the best of both worlds, easier than a wrap but more versatile with the long straps to mess with. I did like it for awhile with M and I could carry her pretty high on my back in it. But the straps are narrow and can cut into you. The babyhawk has padded shoulders (as does my Maya wrap RS) and I truly wonder how people live without this, maybe I have bonier shoulders than some, or bigger babies, I don't know. But for now, it's not the greatest fit with G, I'm not using it a ton. He is still little though.

I love the Boba for quick and easy carrying and especially for shopping, it has the GENIUS detail of little snapping tabs on the shoulders that can hold your purse strap. I find it fits my body a little better than the Ergo and it has a really tall panel on it, great for a big toddler, but somehow little 2 month old G also fits into it really well, without the newborn fold down feature in use. DH prefers the Ergo for whatever reason, so we keep the Boba straps tightened just right for me, and the Ergo adjusted for him.

I haven't been using the sling yet with G. I like it with a bigger infant that has head control and wants to look around, but isn't TOO heavy yet. Easy to pop in and out and have them on my hip. I used it a lot with M for a few months (maybe 5-8 months or so) but once she got too big, it killed my shoulder.

Oh and we also have a big Kelty baby backpack. Great for big babies and toddlers to look around, they sit high up on your back and the pack has an external frame. It is more suited to a man's body because the hip strap doesn't carry most of the weight, baby is so high up that your shoulders/upper body bear a lot of the weight, and it helps to have somewhat broad shoulders. Grandpas and daddy love the backpack and M still rides in it often, it is the only form of baby carrier that she still accepts.

So after that novel I would recommend for you, either a performance or sport Ergo, or a Boba just because it's my favorite. It is hard to beat a soft structured carrier for overall usability. If I had just one, it would be one of these. If the heat is your main concern, I'd get a breathable type of Ergo.

September 8th, 2013, 05:20 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have the Ergo Performance and I love it...it is my favorite overall, multi-purpose carrier. It is much cooler/more breatheable than the regular Ergo, and it is so easy to adjust between kids or between DH and I.

I usually have Claire and one baby in the double stroller and I wear the other baby and it works great...definitely the only way I can get out with 3 to go to the store or anything

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

September 9th, 2013, 12:56 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I was just reading an article on the different kinds, let me see if I can find it again.

Ok. It doesn't really tell you how to choose one, so don't pay attention to the title. It gives a brief description of various types. http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2013/0...and-your-baby/

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 9th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have several carriers as well. Arthur loves our Boba 3g (similar to the ergo, but with no infant insert) We have a wrap conversion ring sling, but I would say that doesn't meet the not too hot requirement. and we have some wraps. I do like the wraps, but it can be overwhelming... have you considered a shorter wrap? It limits the number and types of carries you can do, but it's less fabric and far less overwhelming!
Also, the Big City a few hours from where I live has a babywearing facebook group, that allows people to come to meetings to learn different wraps and carries for all types of carriers, and here they let you borrow before buying any carrier so you'll learn what works and what doesn't for you!

September 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I second Kalynn's suggestion of looking up BWI (Babywearing International) and seeing where your local meeting are. They will have every kind of carrier (you can borrow for a month at a time if you join the group for $30) and you can try them all on.

For me personally, I like ring slings for the newborn thru 6 month stage. Then soft structured, like an ergo or boba. We have an infant Kinderpack that we love. Ours has cool knit, which keeps the temps cooler.

But it is one of those thing that's pretty personal. Everyone will have different preferences.
September 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to come back and so some research when I have some time. I'll definitely look up the babywearing group. I'm near Orlando so im sure they have something!

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
September 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like my portable baby wrap and my becco butterfly but I'd love to try a baby ktan!
mama_2_Callen likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search