Style

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2013, 07:41 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
Would you let your child color their hair non traditional colors and wear 'different' clothes? At what age? Do you, or would you, let your daughter wear boy clothes and your son wear girl clothes?

October 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I don't have any issues with hair colour or clothing choices. I probably won't go buying strange outfits for my kids, but if they happen to save their money and purchase clothing they like then so be it.
I think it's important to develop a sense of self style, and clothing and hair colour are not permanent, so no harm done if I don't love it, or if they eventually change their minds.
ashj_1218 likes this.

October 7th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't care. Whenever they want its just hair and clothes. I wont make them buy their own clothes even if its something I dont like. They are wearing it not me. They pick out their own clothes now.

Thank you so much AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggy!
October 7th, 2013, 04:54 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
No hair color until at least high school, and then I'm guessing we won't let them do "non-traditional" colors. As far as dressing, they can wear what they want as long as it is appropriate. I'm all about expressing yourself, but you also have to be appropriate and respectful...our kids won't be wearing athletic clothes to church, sagging their pants, exposing too much skin, etc. as long as they live under our roof (geez, now I sound like my parents ).

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

October 7th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We will probably have some rules but DH and I will have to figure that out when the time comes. He is going to be way more hard ***** about it than me. We'll see what M wants to do. She has blond hair so will have more options with temporary colors than I did as a brunette. I totally had the Angela from My So-Called Life burgundy hair dye thing going in the early-mid 90s lol. Then I got into highlighting sprays and lemon juice one summer and fried my hair completely, it was crispy and orange-y and horrible. Then I cut it all off. I don't know if it was so great that my parents let me do this lol, I could have just watched a friend make the same mistakes and then learned the same lessons.

Oh and I would TOTALLY let my kids express themselves as gender queer if that is what they are into. I feel strongly about that.

October 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my older daughter has a funky sense of dressing that is adorable. We let her. She also has a pink streak of hair she colored for the summer, but it will wash out eventually. Hopefully in time for her first meet of the season, or we'll have to strip it out lol
October 7th, 2013, 07:44 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Absolutely. I have no issue with hair color, cut, or clothing choices. We will require they be appropriately covered (no butt hanging jeans or short shorts), but they can do the goth thing or whatever if they want to.

I am also fine with experimentation with opposite gender clothing. My good friend has a son going through this right now. They let him choose what he wears and I know I would respond the same way. If it's who they are, or even who they want to experiment with being, I am 100% supportive.
October 7th, 2013, 09:28 PM
KatyG's Avatar Super Mommy
I would let them express themselves however they want I'm not really strict about that. Their dad is a different story, I asked him these questions and he has a totally different opinion. He was saying that parents are supposed to teach their boys how they are supposed to act and what they should wear and I don't agree
October 7th, 2013, 10:06 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I will try not to get on a soap box here - clothes don't have genitals If it doesn't actually say "boy" or "girl" (or some word obviously gender specific) on it it is for everyone. As long as she is comfortable being who she is I don't care what she wears.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
October 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
LOVE everyone's replies!

I am perfectly fine with L wearing whatever clothes he wants including those designated for girls. I will only put my foot down at pants have to be worn where they are meant to be, no butt hanging out. And no hate speech on shirts.

He can pierce whatever he likes when he is old enough and color his hair if he prefers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search